• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's late mayby I miss read/understand it as not allowed with group save

The £2 fare is not a special offer for Peterborough - search for journeys in September and you'll see the same £2 fare - coincidentally the discounted fare is the same as this special offer fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tannedfrog

5% off Trainline bookings if you have a Halifax/BOS/Lloyds card and opt in. Sorry if this has already been posted.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
The Northern Rail newspaper offer ends this weekend so I'm planning on using up my last tokens. Can I just confirm that is now official Northern policy that these tickets can be bought on trains from the guard? I will be travelling from an unmanned station and have a couple of tight connections after that so will not get a chance to buy at any station on route? Thanks.

crehld

Established Member
The Northern Rail newspaper offer ends this weekend so I'm planning on using up my last tokens. Can I just confirm that is now official Northern policy that these tickets can be bought on trains from the guard? I will be travelling from an unmanned station and have a couple of tight connections after that so will not get a chance to buy at any station on route? Thanks.

Guards have the ability to sell tickets on board, but it isn't official policy to do so.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have Megatrain stopped doing fares on VWC between Edinburgh and Birmingham now Stagecoach have flogged Megabus to some foreign outfit.

Had a look at a few dates next month and the "train option" seems to have disappeared when searching for journeys between the two.

Have all their train available services ceased ?

BlueFox

Have Megatrain stopped doing fares on VWC between Edinburgh and Birmingham now Stagecoach have flogged Megabus to some foreign outfit.

Had a look at a few dates next month and the "train option" seems to have disappeared when searching for journeys between the two.

Have all their train available services ceased ?

Megatrain stopped doing VWC tickets in January. At first I thought it was just because of the line closure at Lamington but it was permanent.

infobleep

Veteran Member
5% off Trainline bookings if you have a Halifax/BOS/Lloyds card and opt in. Sorry if this has already been posted.
I assume this is only worth doing if the saving is more than the booking fee.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Butts

Veteran Member
Another 1 day sale from Virgin West Coast. Book today to travel 30 July - 4 September.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/sale

Thanks for the tip, have booked myself a couple of EDB to SAD trips at £30 each way First Class - saving a total of £1066 according to Virgin Website.

Of course I would normally book a walk up single at a bargain £296 for each of the four journeys ;)

Seriously this was good enough to get me off the plane :p

Starmill

Veteran Member
I got myself a £30 First Class ticket on the 1810 from London Euston to Wrexham General. Let's hope the menu is as good as I have heard!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
West Coast (Virgin Trains) 20% off is now back on the Virgin Red App and East Coast is still available.

orpine

No-one mentioned this in the thread where I asked about commuting with off-peak tickets.
https://www.easit.org.uk/rail - 15% discount on Southern, South West and GWR trains for regular tickets. Doesn't cover all stations.
Wish I'd have known months ago - would have saved me hundreds. :(
Hopefully it helps someone else instead.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No-one mentioned this in the thread where I asked about commuting with off-peak tickets.
https://www.easit.org.uk/rail - 15% discount on Southern, South West and GWR trains for regular tickets. Doesn't cover all stations.
Wish I'd have known months ago - would have saved me hundreds. :(
Hopefully it helps someone else instead.

You do have to work for a partner organisation and then pay £4 for a card to qualify for this.

westv

Established Member
Although for me I've got nothing showing for West Coast, but 30% off on East Coast
Just made use of the 30% discount to stock up on Friday tickets butbI made sure I left a few outstanding for when the next VTEC seat sale starts at some point later this year.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah I'm getting 30% off on East Coast and 20% off on West Coast too. When I looked the other day, West Coast was missing but it's come back within the past 48 Hours.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Yeah I'm getting 30% off on East Coast and 20% off on West Coast too. When I looked the other day, West Coast was missing but it's come back within the past 48 Hours.

Can you only get these discounts by booking on a mobile via their app? I don't trust mobile networks with my card details - is there a way you can select a ticket via the app, save it to your account then retrieve it and enter your payment details via your computer?

matt_world2004

Established Member
c2c Go Rover

Only for Friday 29 July 2016 after 0930 (not valid between 1600-1859 in Zones 1-6). £5 for unlimited c2c travel between non-London c2c stations, £9 for all c2c stations if you show the Pokemon Go app at a c2c ticket office.

http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/days-out-and-offers/go-rover/

Would the £5 c2c rover be valid from southend to upminster even though upminster is in the tc zone?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Can you only get these discounts by booking on a mobile via their app? I don't trust mobile networks with my card details - is there a way you can select a ticket via the app, save it to your account then retrieve it and enter your payment details via your computer?

I don't see any reason the computer would be any more secure than a mobile app so long as the app has an encypyted link back to base.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would the £5 c2c rover be valid from southend to upminster even though upminster is in the tc zone?

From the T&Cs on the page you linked:
£5 ticket valid for travel between c2c stations excluding London Fenchurch street, Limehouse, West Ham, Barking, Dagenham Dock, Liverpool Street and Stratford.
So the last stations in zone 6 appear to be ok, which seems sensible.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I don't see any reason the computer would be any more secure than a mobile app so long as the app has an encypyted link back to base.

If you're using a computer at home or at work, you can be reasonably confident that your card details are secure but if you're using a mobile app chances are you're using public wifi, which isn't secure!

westv

Established Member
If you're using a computer at home or at work, you can be reasonably confident that your card details are secure but if you're using a mobile app chances are you're using public wifi, which isn't secure!

The don't use public wifi when buying tickets then.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Really?

Perhaps I'm unusual in rarely using public WiFi.

However if the data is encrypted between your phone and the server, it should still be secure.

Previously you said it was the mobile networks you didn't trust...

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
With the £2 Plus Bus offer it's possible to get all day bus tickets for an entire PTE area for less than usual e.g. Greater Manchester System One Day Saver Bus (Anytime) is £5.60. Ashley to Altrincham Single Plusbus (with £2 offer) is £5.20. There might be better savings available using different station combinations.

fandroid

Established Member

Having avoided Trainline like the plague up to now, I am not up to date with the fees they charge, but as I do have a Halifax credit card this is tempting. Can anyone update me on those fees?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Having avoided Trainline like the plague up to now, I am not up to date with the fees they charge, but as I do have a Halifax credit card this is tempting. Can anyone update me on those fees?
On the website, it's 75p if using a debit card or Paypal (no idea about credit cards) and the iOS app charges 25p. There are no fees for tickets bought on the day of travel via the app.