• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Summer Theatre Offers for Railcard Holders

Just received an email promoting London West End Theatre tickets for railcard holders from just £25

Sounds like a good deal, but just as I was thinking of treating my wife to a day trip to London to see a show, what would happen if yet another rail strike was scheduled for the day I had booked rail and theatre tickets?

Would I get my money back for the theatre tickets - I guess not, so won’t be booking.

Just as well I hadn’t told my wife about it….!

_toommm_

Established Member

Just received an email promoting London West End Theatre tickets for railcard holders from just £25

Sounds like a good deal, but just as I was thinking of treating my wife to a day trip to London to see a show, what would happen if yet another rail strike was scheduled for the day I had booked rail and theatre tickets?

Would I get my money back for the theatre tickets - I guess not, so won’t be booking.

I don’t suppose you’d be able to forward the link please? I have a 16-25 railcard and go to see a musical every month but I cannot see the email.

ATrainSpotter

Does this include if you live in London haha

Kite159

Veteran Member

The usual "Tickets From £25", where the £25 tickets will be seats furthest from the stage and with more limited views. Designed to get people to click through to go "actually we will book these £125 tickets as they give a better view"

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Hate to say it, but I'd book a refundable coach ticket eg with National Express as a backup.

Can't trust the railways at the moment, sadly

island

Veteran Member
Most of the main West End theatres still have flexible arrangements in place from COVID times and will allow tickets to be changed to a later performance of the same show if you contact them in enough time. As ever, check the small print.

Edvid

Established Member
The fantastic ‘Hare Fares’ promotion is back at Greater Anglia…

And again! Tickets can be purchased until 26 June for travel up to 7 August.

To/from Liverpool Street / Stratford / Tottenham Hale priced at £10/15/20 return; for some regional journeys, it's just a fiver.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Shame those Hare Fares forbid break of journey, so someone can't buy one to Great Yarmouth to take the train to Reedham to walk the path towards Yarmouth via Berney Arms.

dk1

Veteran Member

To/from Liverpool Street / Stratford / Tottenham Hale priced at £10/15/20 return; for some regional journeys, it's just a fiver.

So good to see it back but once again some very crowded trains have to be expected during the duration of the offer particularly on the Intercity route.

Tim456

Can you upgrade Hare Fares with Weekend First on weekends on the London-Norwich route?

Edvid

Established Member
As far as I can see there's nothing on the GA site that explicitly rules out a Hare Fare + Weekend First combo; it only says that Hare Fares are Standard only. To be sure I'd ask the conductor before you board (assuming LST-NRW services have them).

Tim456

As far as I can see there's nothing on the GA site that explicitly rules out a Hare Fare + Weekend First combo; it only says that Hare Fares are Standard only. To be sure I'd ask the conductor before you board (assuming LST-NRW services have them).
Thanks Edvid.

parkender102

There is a Ticket Booth actually on Leicester Square itself called TKTS (think it has 3 windows) - it is the official Clearance place for London Theatre Tickets (as opposed to the numerous touts/resellers around Leicester Square). I have been to many shows in London by just going there on the day of the performance to see what is available and buying a ticket there from as low as £10. They used to take cash only but this may have changed and I seem to remember they started selling online (but going on the day always cheaper as they get closer to showtime).

Also - my wife and daughter in the past have just gone along to the venue an hour before the show they fancied seeing and enquired there to see if any tickets left and got excellent seats at very low prices - £15 - £20.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is a Ticket Booth actually on Leicester Square itself called TKTS (think it has 3 windows) - it is the official Clearance place for London Theatre Tickets (as opposed to the numerous touts/resellers around Leicester Square). I have been to many shows in London by just going there on the day of the performance to see what is available and buying a ticket there from as low as £10. They used to take cash only but this may have changed and I seem to remember they started selling online (but going on the day always cheaper as they get closer to showtime).

Also - my wife and daughter in the past have just gone along to the venue an hour before the show they fancied seeing and enquired there to see if any tickets left and got excellent seats at very low prices - £15 - £20.
Not quite sure what this has to do with this thread.

Were you replying to something specific?

parkender102

Sorry - the reply was to 1st June 'Summer Theatre Offers for Railcard Holders'. The response really was that you can probably get Cheaper Tickets and Better Seats at the Theatre rather than doing it through the Railcard Holders Offer. i.e. Just book your Railcard Discounted Travel and sort your Theatre Tickets out independently when you get there - after awaiting future Strike News of course!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure what the situation is with the last couple of posts but can I remind everyone that this of course is a thread to discuss special offers specifically in the context of rail fares.

Pemberton

The Uber 10% back in credits offer for bookings through them currently due to expire on 30/6/2023 has been further extended until 30/9/2023.

Sealink

I will admit I never use The Trainline but they have an offer with 20% off digital railcards.

The Uber 10% back in credits offer for bookings through them currently due to expire on 30/6/2023 has been further extended until 30/9/2023.

Used this a few time and the credit tracked instantly.
Although it's useless for journeys where there is a cheaper "via" option. For me that's Dorchester South to East Croydon, where "via Barnham" is always cheaper (ignoring fixed Advance fares)

Sonic1234

3.4% cashback on Top Cashback if you book with TPE. Although mine hasn't tracked yet, hopefully it isn't only for TPE tickets (doesn't say this on Top Cashback).

northwichcat

Veteran Member
3.4% cashback on Top Cashback if you book with TPE. Although mine hasn't tracked yet, hopefully it isn't only for TPE tickets (doesn't say this on Top Cashback).

Interesting TPE have reappeared soon after the franchise was handed back. LNER seems to be the one most people can get something back on - credit card rewards, Nectar connect, Airtime Rewards. Wonder why DOR haven't taken the same approach with Northern?

Sonic1234

Apart from my last purchase from TPE and one I bought at a station, I've had at least 5% cashback on every ticket since lockdown thanks to LNER - although yet to go on a LNER train!

Stompa

I'm a bit puzzled. I thought the GA Hare Fares offer was over, yet it appears as though you can still buy them both online and using the app (though admittedly I stopped one step short of actually doing so).

gfa

If you get Uber One (£5 a month) the uber 10% jumps to 20% on each purchase back as credit, making it the clear winner. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to figure out how to create a return ticket for my route - its so clunky in general.

YorkC

More of an unusual one but there's a free sausage roll from Greggs ATM on LNER Perks.