• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Iskra

Established Member
No help for me - no tickets from Chelford to anywhere other than Piccadilly and then only at a weekend.

it's the same with Advances in general - they have been pulled from the stations with no competition. You can travel on the same train more cheaply from Crewe to Manchester than you can boarding at Chelford or other stations on the line. Simply gouging by Northern, who claim "no demand" - as if it costs to offer them and have people buy more expensive offerings.
Appreciated, but you could still benefit by booking to Manchester and getting a promotional ticket from there to somewhere else with Northern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I think a lot of these tickets have been snapped up quite quickly, which explains low availability now.

It was featured in the MoneySavingExpert email today.

Only at a weekend!!! Whereas, if I lived in Crewe.....

Crewe to Manchester has competition though. With Chelford to Manchester, the only alternative is bus to Macclesfield then train to Manchester, but given the frequency of the bus, most people would probably only consider that on a strike day.

Last edited:

mark_47769

Quite a few 10 pence Northern Advance tickets available on the West Side atleast in the small hours of this morning, wonder if they will still be there in the morning :D I've only looked for around Manchester and more particularly the Chester to Picc via Altrincham.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_012030_Northern Railway.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_012030_Northern Railway.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 82

mangyiscute

Established Member
Can't say I'm a fan of when companies do this strategy of releasing the cheapest tickets a bit later, so those who buy early don't get the best deal

Iskra

Established Member
Can't say I'm a fan of when companies do this strategy of releasing the cheapest tickets a bit later, so those who buy early don't get the best deal
Surely the 10p stuff is the least attractive products that they couldn’t even shift at the previous price. Looking at the screenshot above, it’s going the opposite direction to most people on that route at that time and takes a long time, possibly (without me checking) being overtaken by another service.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Woo-hoo - all the Weekdays from Chelford to Manchester now show 10p tickets on weekdays!

un-Woo-Hoo - the first train "out" is at 1705 and the first back is 2006. Not really much use, unless I want to "GoDoMyThing" in Manchester for an evening.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Surely the 10p stuff is the least attractive products that they couldn’t even shift at the previous price. Looking at the screenshot above, it’s going the opposite direction to most people on that route at that time and takes a long time, possibly (without me checking) being overtaken by another service.
But there will be people who have bought £1 or 50p tickets, and suddenly they couldve bought it for 10p, they're being punished for buying the ticket too quickly

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
But there will be people who have bought £1 or 50p tickets, and suddenly they couldve bought it for 10p, they're being punished for buying the ticket too quickly
While you may be right on the principle of the thing, you appear to be suggesting that people may have lost as much as 90p each.

I would suggest that most people will find it hard to get worked up about this.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
C'est la vie, always going to be the case of buyers remorse. Not much you can do sadly. An advance may go up or down in price too. If demand stayed high for those journeys the price may have stayed at £1. Probably only gone down to 10p as nobody is buying those tickets

northwichcat

Veteran Member
C'est la vie, always going to be the case of buyers remorse. Not much you can do sadly. An advance may go up or down in price too. If demand stayed high for those journeys the price may have stayed at £1. Probably only gone down to 10p as nobody is buying those tickets

Agreed. Last time the sale ended early as they'd sold the maximum allocation before the sale end date. I think it's like a supermarket's line discount would normally shift items faster, but if they aren't shifted they might still end up in the reduced to clear section.

I just searched for 10p tickets now and on the journeys I tried the ticket prices are still the same as last night when I booked 2 x £1 singles.

Pemberton

For members of the cashback site Quidco, there is an offer limited to the first 1200 opt-ins of a £5 cashback bonus on a single booking of a minimum of £15 made for Sunday 17/9/2023 at 11.59 p.m at specific retailers which include Chiltern Railways, Trainpal and Transport For Wales amongst them. With thanks to HotUKdeals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916_093222_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_093222_Chrome~2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Pemberton

Transport for Wales are advertising up to 50% off Advance tickets when booked up to 30th September for travel between 1st October and 16th October.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230918_082628_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230918_082628_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 68

mangyiscute

Established Member
Transport for Wales are advertising up to 50% off Advance tickets when booked up to 30th September for travel between 1st October and 16th October.
Done a bit of looking - they say you can only book it on their website or app, you might be able to book elsewhere I am not sure.
I searched for Cardiff to Manchester at 1pm, couldn't find offer tickets on weekdays but found some at weekends.
Most importantly, railcard discount does apply on top of the promo, so for railcard holders this is now 66% off of the original standard price - certainly something i can get on board with

ServerHoster

Just booked Crewe to Swansea direct for £20.45 in First Class.
Coming back via the Heart of Wales line for £13.65.
Amazing value!

I just hope it's actually a 67+Mk4 on the day!

It looks like the fares are available on any TOC website - I booked mine via Avanti - but do be aware that some websites (eg. CrossCountry) are offering M-tickets and not E-tickets.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Just booked Crewe to Swansea direct for £20.45 in First Class.
Coming back via the Heart of Wales line for £13.65.
Amazing value!

I just hope it's actually a 67+Mk4 on the day!
I assume thats changing at Cardiff, cause the 67s don't run to swansea iirc - I checked and apparently the one that gets to swansea at 2053 is pathed as a 67, but that's the only one. I don't think tfw would allow you to book first class for another service anyway tho

ServerHoster

I assume thats changing at Cardiff, cause the 67s don't run to swansea iirc - I checked and apparently the one that gets to swansea at 2053 is pathed as a 67, but that's the only one. I don't think tfw would allow you to book first class for another service anyway tho
Oh, the one I booked was the 10:14 (from Crewe) on a Sunday. Maybe it's different on Sundays? Just checked RealTimeTrains and it's "Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes"

Kite159

Veteran Member
Oh, the one I booked was the 10:14 (from Crewe) on a Sunday. Maybe it's different on Sundays? Just checked RealTimeTrains and it's "Pathed as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 245 tonnes"
That one should be a 67 on a Sunday. Although no doubt TfW lottery will produce one of the Northern 150s :(

dk1

Veteran Member
Hare Fares are back in the East..

aavm

Hare Fares are back in the East..

This is a *great* deal, esp as it's any off peak train, not an advance ticket.

dk1

Veteran Member

Yes it is as so flexible. Only trouble with that is people want to travel on the most suitable trains for a day out all having similar ideas causing overcrowding on certain services especially to London. Weekends see severe crowding on other regional longer distance trains too.

Buzby

It’ll be interesting to see how ScotRail manage next week (when it will be Off-Peak 24x7). It would be good if the trial was copied across the network.

bspahh

Established Member
Its great in parts.

For example, the Hare Fare is £10 for an off peak day return from Cambridge to Liverpool Street, which would be £23.50 on a week day.

However, the Hare fare from Ely to Liverpool Street, its £20, when an Ely-Cambridge off peak return is £5.40 on any train, £3.20 for a Greater Anglia one, and ~ £2.40 at weekends with a Network card.

Hophead

Established Member
Though, with the Anglia Hare Fare, you need to find a weekend when the main line's actually open (which is no easy task).

James H

The Uber 10% credit rebate on rail tickets has been extended from 30 September to the end of the year