• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Yorkshire services Saturday 5th July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I guess a few of us will be on the loco-hauled services put on for the Tour de France.

Me and Class92 will be in attendance on the 06:22 LIV-LDS then the 11:15 to Harrogate and the same train back towards Leeds. We will then be on the 18:08 LDS-LIV. This will be this Saturday which is namely the 5th July 2014.

You are welcome to join us if you wish. In between loco's, we will be doing a West Yorks Metrocard around the area.

If you would like to join, just PM or reply or turn up!

Nice to meet you!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I'm coming up after work on the Saturday, so hopefully will get a shot of the TPE departing at 1808, then an hour to grab some food, catching the 1915 Leeds to Harrogate 1945 which should be the 67+VWC coaching and returning on the 2019 Harrogate - Leeds 2052 which is billed as the DBS 47/57, before heading back to Steeton.

Unfortunately the tickets are not ideal - the Le Tour ticket won't cover the TPE to Huddersfield and a West Yorks ranger won't go up to Harrogate so I might as well just get a return to Harrogate. Less collectable, but cheaper!

(Unless you know if the Le Tour tickets are being printed on special stock?)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
...we will be doing a West Yorks Metrocard around the area....
Consider the Northern "Le Tour" ticket instead. Will cover all your travels by NORTHERN in Metro Land plus Harrogate (which isn't), York, Skipton and, if you care to, down into South Yorks as well - much bigger area, but limited to Operator. It's £10 buy on the day. You can also use EastCoast services LDS-HGT.

See: http://www.northernrail.org/tickets/Le+Yorkshire+ticket

Last edited:

Established Member
I'm on the 06:22 from LIV boarding at WAC and going to Scarborough

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is anyone else on any of the special trains, or simply taking advantage of Northern's cheap £10 tickets?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I'm on normal tickets and a West Yorks train dayrover. Cost about 20 quid altogether so not really complaining.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Just a note - according to Northern the Le Tour ticket will not be on special ticket stock. I was rather hoping for a collectible design :(

theblackwatch

Established Member
The Northern ticket is on normal stock - I've had mine for over a week.

I shall be photting the Scarborough hauled service in the morning before making my way to Leeds for the 10.35 to Harrogate and will more than likely spend the rest of the day travelling and linesiding on this route, as well as hopefully seeing the race itself.

Crossover

Established Member
I won't be out on the trains tomorrow but may try grab some photos of the TPE service and will hopefully meet with a couple of members briefly in the afternoon :)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I travelled York - Harrogate (2 x 150) and Harrogate - Leeds (Pretendolino) this afternoon. As far as I could work out, the service being provided bore little or no resemblance to the posters advertising it; as well as some very late running and some cancellation, there were departures listed on the TV screens (at Harrogate) that were not on the poster and there was an EC departure for Leeds that was neither on the poster nor the TV. So I kind of got the impression they were winging it. They seemed to shift the people resonably well; there was a long queue at York when I travelled, but it was well managed. By the time I got to Leeds there was no evidence of any commotion there - except for the odd trains themselves.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I caught the 1505 to Harrogate [47/57]. About a 20 min wait outside station, we boarded and all 7 coaches were well loaded but not packed. Also appreciated the free water being given out.

Established Member
I caught the 1505 to Harrogate [47/57]. About a 20 min wait outside station, we boarded and all 7 coaches were well loaded but not packed. Also appreciated the free water being given out.

That's would hardly be peak demand at that time would it

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Free water?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Does anyone know the actual headcodes of the 0950 Scarborough-Liverpool [47] and 1505 Leeds-Harrogate [47/57]?

Edit- They look to be 1G83/1G97?

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Free water?

Don't all TOCs hand out copious amounts of free water nowadays? I know AGA dump cases of it on luggage stacks on IC, commuter & local trains whenever it's hot & Merseyrail throw it out on Grand National day.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Oh cool. How was the loco-hauled sets and the tour itself?
Afraid I couldn't make it :(

I did the 47 York-Leeds getting there at 1120, on arrival 20303/20305 were there with a Northern Belle Coach which was a bonus :) But, I canned the idea of a return to Harrogate when I saw the crowds and went into Leeds for lunch instead. On realising that the 47s weren't stopping at Leeds coming back, I decided to head for York via Harrogate, sat in one of the ex-Arriva coaches on the 47/57 set and the journey proved pleasant. Onward services were running late but I managed to catch 150206/273 to York. A very interesting day, certainly! I didn't see the Tour itself though.

Crossover

Established Member
It sounds like today was chaos. I didn't go out in the end but I was talking to someone who took, IIRC, the 074x from Dewsbury to Leeds which turned up as a 2 car (short form by Northern?) and left a number of people on the platform as I understand it

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Didn't meet anybody from this thread but I saw theblackwatch photting at Leeds and bumped into profxavier after he boarded at Warrington Central. Had a great day albeit a too early start (05:39 HOO-LIV 06:08). I will post more details tomorrow as I am absolutely rekt.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Didn't meet anybody from this thread but I saw theblackwatch photting at Leeds and bumped into profxavier after he boarded at Warrington Central. Had a great day albeit a too early start (05:39 HOO-LIV 06:08). I will post more details tomorrow as I am absolutely rekt.

I thought that was you over on platform 16 when I was waiting to phot the 47s going to Liverpool, but thought I'd best not shout across as I wasn't sure if you'd recognise me!

Never seen so many people on my local line, and I gather there was quite a wait at Leeds, but I thought on the whole they did a pretty good job considering there were thousands trying to travel at around the same time. Some quick thinking at Harrogate this evening saw the Pretendolino sent to York rather than Leeds due to the number of people trying to get back to York.

I suspect I'll never see a day again when so many people go to Harrogate and there were over 30 loco hauled services on the line...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I will add that I have just heard the skips go past the end of my road on the 22.30 York-Leeds, running around 45 late.

34D

Established Member
Harrogate station was total chaos after the race.

I feel sorry for the staff.

Crossover

Established Member
Blimey - not sure how soon we will see logic on the railways and have services being amended to cater for the greater demand!

Condor7

I have heard that some loco hauled trains went to/from York and Harrogate, but I thought the line was restricted to class 20's only, am I mistaken?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I have heard that some loco hauled trains went to/from York and Harrogate, but I thought the line was restricted to class 20's only, am I mistaken?

Yes, plenty of loco classes which are able to traverse the Harrogate loop.

MichaelWells

I started off in Newcaste for the 08:42 XC service to York. then got the TPE 47s to Liverpool to Scarborough and back to Leeds. Then the Pretendolino from Leeds to Harrogate, then subsequently on to York. a very good day and congratulations to TPE and NT for their handling of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.