• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specific Off Peak Times Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manc27

This might seem like a really dumb question, but I just booked an off peak return from Manchester to London Euston for tomorrow. Tried to get it from the National Rail website but it redirected me to Virgin Trains website...

It was my understanding that an off peak return could be used on any off peak train, but on the Virgin site I had to start picking several times slots, so picked the one which was the most likely I would travel in (not really sure, just know I need to get there and back and spend 5-6 hours there).

When I got the receipt it specified train times and said "Flexible ticket only valid at specific off-peak times of the day". I don't have a seat reservation as with an Advance etc, but the combination of the wording and the specific train times really confused me!

I chatted to someone on the live web Virgin chat (if they were a real person) who said I could use any train tomorrow, so just wondered why they would have me picking time ranges and putting specific times on the receipt? Guess I am so used to using Advance tickets that I feel naked without my reservation and just want to double check I won't be getting someone telling me I have to buy another ticket tomorrow if I don't get on the train that the receipt lists..

Thanks! 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
It sounds like you bought an Off-Peak return (the old Saver Return) which is valid on any off peak train. Reservations are recommended but not essential.

If you know what time you intend to travel we can let you know if it's off-peak (Virgin also have times of off-peak trains to/from London)

Edit: Tomorrow is Saturday so you can travel via any train (thanks to MattE2010)

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If it's for tomorrow then I was under the impression that there were no peak restrictions on Saturdays?

Manc27

Yeah it's going and coming back tomorrow, so should be outside peak.

dzug2

You don't have to accept being referred to the Virgin site by National Rail - you can ask it to send you to one of the others with a less confusing interface.

island

Veteran Member
If it's for tomorrow then I was under the impression that there were no peak restrictions on Saturdays?

Not for an off-peak return, but Virgin Trains does have weekend time restrictions on its super off-peak returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.