• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speculation: BR Class 442 - Northern Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

If you try that they'd fall to bits. <D

Ahh, but how do we know that for sure? Probably best to ship some off to Old Dalby, hook them up behind a 67, and see what happens. I recommend starting at 125mph, then working downwards until the upper limit is found. Precision and sample size are important in science, so best to test each speed at least 4 or 5 times, then only drop the speed by 1mph every time they fail. <D

Could even make it a spectator event, with betting on the outcome of each test. <D

Wolfie

Established Member
How's about Class 43, Pacer, Pacer, Pacer, Class 43... run it up to maximum speed and see what happens....<D

dgl

Established Member
How's about Class 43, Pacer, Pacer, Pacer, Class 43... run it up to maximum speed and see what happens....<D

That might damage the 43's and we don't want that <(

Get a couple of powercars from the NOL E* sets (will need modifying but it's worth it) and sandwich them between. The NOL's are only going to get scrapped anyway.
A few (say 3 sets at a time) pacers and many HP of loco, should be interesting :p

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
That might damage the 43's and we don't want that <(

Get a couple of powercars from the NOL E* sets (will need modifying but it's worth it) and sandwich them between. The NOL's are only going to get scrapped anyway.
A few (say 3 sets at a time) pacers and many HP of loco, should be interesting :p

NoL E* sets are no good for in the UK (a combination of the power they draw and gauging issues)

dgl

Established Member
NoL E* sets are no good for in the UK (a combination of the power they draw and gauging issues)

I'm sure the smashed up (I mean rigorously tested :D )pacers will do a lot of damage too,, we can run them (for testing purposes) on the ECML (which can handle a NOL (just)) and during the tests there will be no other trains running on the juice.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It is a wonder that the Blackpool Transport heritage trams, suitably amended, are not also proposed to be used on Northern Rail..<(

Have Northern Rail been granted full scrap-dealer approval status, details of which has been kept very quiet from the general public at large, but a known fact amongst rail bodies with old stock to dispose of?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It is a wonder that the Blackpool Transport heritage trams, suitably amended, are not also proposed to be used on Northern Rail..<(

Have Northern Rail been granted full scrap-dealer approval status, details of which has been kept very quiet from the general public at large, but a known fact amongst rail bodies with old stock to dispose of?

I'm sure the ride "quality" offered by the 142 which took me the short hop from Batley to Dewsbury yesterday teatime would be no worse had it been on a 1930's tramcar... As long as I didn't stray upstairs, that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.