• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Speculative] Ideas for First Glasgow service changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
i would divert the 41 off Edinburgh Road to enable it to cover Cranhill. At the moment it`s every 15 minutes, I`m not sure Baillieston merits this as the 38E is not that well used at present on that part of the journey. The 30 covered North Carntyne and part of Ruchazie back in 98 and in my view this would work again. These services need to work for passengers and North Carntyne is not well served at all. The Broomhouse area is expanding at a rate of noughts. I would look closely at this.
The 38E is a great link to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and City Centre for us living in Baillieston who don’t want to add considerable time to our journey by getting the 2. Not to mention the Airdrie section was cut so no longer serves Baillieston Main Street.

The 46 goes through Cranhill or near it and the 41 and 38B go near it which are also fairly frequent services. The 38E doesn’t need touched.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJFraz

The 38E is a great link to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and City Centre for us living in Baillieston who don’t want to add considerable time to our journey by getting the 2. Not to mention the Airdrie section was cut so no longer serves Baillieston Main Street.

The 46 goes through Cranhill or near it and the 41 and 38B go near it which are also fairly frequent services. The 38E doesn’t need touched.
I don`t want the 38E "touched". I use it and objected when they removed the Sunday service, just as I did when they removed the no2 Airdrie extension. I merely stated that 38E is not that well used from the Baillieston to Haghill part of the route to merit a 15 minute frequency. Make no mistake, so called FG would remove the 38E and 38B in a heartbeat if they thought they`d get away with it, especially as Barlanark already has the frequent 60 and 60A and 38B is not that well used from Carntyne Sq to Barlanark. For the record, passengers in Cranhill need to cut through that poorly lit park to get the 41, the 38B is not near Cranhill and the area should have a City Centre service. Perhaps the 38E could be diverted to cover Cranhill, I won`t hold my breath.

Last edited:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I don`t want the 38E "touched" either. I use it and objected when they removed the Sunday service, just as I did when they removed the no2 Airdrie extension. I merely stated that 38E is not that well used from the Baillieston to Haghill part of the route to merit a 15 minute frequency. Make no mistake, so called FG would remove the 38E and 38B in a heartbeat if they thought they`d get away with it, especially as Barlanark already has the frequent 60 and 60A and 38B is not that well used from Carntyne Sq to Barlanark. For the record, passengers in Cranhill need to cut through that poorly lit park and they should have a City Centre service. Perhaps the 38E could be diverted to cover Cranhill, I won`t hold my breath.
Not only is the park an issue for access to Edinburgh Road services for those in Cranhill (I was born and raised in Cranhill) but the alternative to the park is the steps at Crawling Crescent which are steep.
The 46 is also very poor punctuality wise and has a SPT late night and Sunday service by a different operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
So hypothetically, say there was a bus terminus placed at the end of Calderbank Rd(Taylor Wimpey Houses) at Broomhouse.

If the 38E started from this hypothetical terminus then Muirhead Rd, Church St, Ballieston(Glasgow Rd), Barrachnie/Garrowhill(Barrachnie Rd), Edinburgh Rd, Stepps Rd, Cranhill(Bellrock St), Gartcraig Rd, Edinburgh Rd, Alexandra Parade..

Would that work?

DJFraz

So hypothetically, say there was a bus terminus placed at the end of Calderbank Rd(Taylor Wimpey Houses) at Broomhouse.

If the 38E started from this hypothetical terminus then Muirhead Rd, Church St, Ballieston(Glasgow Rd), Barrachnie/Garrowhill(Barrachnie Rd), Edinburgh Rd, Stepps Rd, Cranhill(Bellrock St), Gartcraig Rd, Edinburgh Rd, Alexandra Parade..

Would that work?
Broomhouse, now a massive area, only has the very infrequent and seriously underused Mooedisburn/Gartcosh to Shettleston 310 service. I feel your suggestion would work like a charm, especially if they`re trying to dissuade drivers from using their cars. It would also take the service to passengers therefore encouraging people to use it as opposed to what we have now. I must insist you apply for a post with their route planners forthwith lol!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Broomhouse, now a massive area, only has the very infrequent and seriously underused Mooedisburn/Gartcosh to Shettleston 310 service. I feel your suggestion would work like a charm, especially if they`re trying to dissuade drivers from using their cars. It would also take the service to passengers therefore encouraging people to use it as opposed to what we have now. I must insist you apply for a post with their route planners forthwith lol!
I think to get people out of cars in certain areas especially with no train station, a city centre bus is an absolute must. Broomhouse is a weird one because it has the 2 at the north end going alongside Muirhead Road and then the 240 and 255 at the bottom of Baillieston Road as well as Baillieston train station too.

Cranhill is one that stands out as only having the 46 and no train station although bus use may be very limited by the motorway being so close. The locations of train stations play into First's hands though as some are heavily weighted to one end of an area. A lot of the ones near me are like this. Garscadden is barely in Garscadden, Yoker is the same and Drumchapel is heavily to one end of it too. In the east end, Shettleston and Carntyne spring to mind as examples of this too.

DJFraz

I think to get people out of cars in certain areas especially with no train station, a city centre bus is an absolute must. Broomhouse is a weird one because it has the 2 at the north end going alongside Muirhead Road and then the 240 and 255 at the bottom of Baillieston Road as well as Baillieston train station too.

Cranhill is one that stands out as only having the 46 and no train station although bus use may be very limited by the motorway being so close. The locations of train stations play into First's hands though as some are heavily weighted to one end of an area. A lot of the ones near me are like this. Garscadden is barely in Garscadden, Yoker is the same and Drumchapel is heavily to one end of it too. In the east end, Shettleston and Carntyne spring to mind as examples of this too.
Absolutely correct and in our case, the location of Carntyne Station is actually nearer Shettleston, in a particularly dark and dingey location and at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. In terms of Carntyne and Riddrie, the 38B and 46 are the closest services to it but both are hourly at night so there is no real incentive for passengers to use it. Connectivity in general is very poor and I would like to see the 41 extended to cover the West of the City given we lost the 42 years ago. The 38C to Chryston is another service that could be brought through North Carntyne and Cranhill then via Craigend back on to Cumbernauld Road. Also worth remembering that Ruchazie and North Craigend have no local service to Parkhead after the cancellation of the 32 but it`s hard to make a case here as the locals did not use the service well enough although there were major issue with the hopeless route and timetable which was as basic as could be.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Absolutely correct and in our case, the location of Carntyne Station is actually nearer Shettleston, in a particularly dark and dingey location and at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. In terms of Carntyne and Riddrie, the 38B and 46 are the closest services to it but both are hourly at night so there is no real incentive for passengers to use it. Connectivity in general is very poor and I would like to see the 41 extended to cover the West of the City given we lost the 42 years ago. The 38C to Chryston is another service that could be brought through North Carntyne and Cranhill then via Craigend back on to Cumbernauld Road. Also worth remembering that Ruchazie and North Craigend have no local service to Parkhead after the cancellation of the 32 but it`s hard to make a case here as the locals did not use the service well enough although there were major issue with the hopeless route and timetable which was as basic as could be.
The timetable of the 32 was always so weird to me. It started too late for workers to get to Parkhead for their shifts and finished too early for them to get back. When I used it, it wasn't always that quiet but it was just constant concession passes so it would have been impossible to make it break even. Covid and the driver shortages obviously make it unlikely to ever come back though.

We do generally need more cross city services and hopefully the low emission zone helps a bit in terms of making that possible. The 41 was certainly handy for an east to west link. More links that mean people don't have to change buses anywhere will definitely get people onto buses. Making them quicker is another thing that needs to be prioritised though although that's on the council as well as bus companies.

route101

Established Member
The timetable of the 32 was always so weird to me. It started too late for workers to get to Parkhead for their shifts and finished too early for them to get back. When I used it, it wasn't always that quiet but it was just constant concession passes so it would have been impossible to make it break even. Covid and the driver shortages obviously make it unlikely to ever come back though.

We do generally need more cross city services and hopefully the low emission zone helps a bit in terms of making that possible. The 41 was certainly handy for an east to west link. More links that mean people don't have to change buses anywhere will definitely get people onto buses. Making them quicker is another thing that needs to be prioritised though although that's on the council as well as bus companies.
The 32 was like a shoppers service for OAPs.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 32 was like a shoppers service for OAPs.
That was definitely the case from my experience. If I had to change anything about the services around those areas, the things I'd look at are how to make the 46 more reliable and are there any missing links that people would actually use?

A rerouted 38C could be via Warriston St then the old 32 route into Ruchazie and then round to Craigend shops, Mossvale Road, Avenue End Rd then Cumbernauld Road. The only issue is that it would leave the side of Hogganfield Park without a bus until the point where the 19 comes onto Cumbernauld Road.

I also wonder if the 38B could go straight up with the 38 until Gartloch Road then turn right onto Elibank Street, Milncroft Road then Gartcraig Road then the current route. The only issue is that it leaves part of Warriston Street with no bus.

As for the 46, I get why they swapped it around with the 19 after Glasgow Fort through Conisborough Road but that could clip 5 minutes off of the 46 by swapping it back and it could also be sped up by putting it up Castlemilk Drive directly then Ardencraig Road to terminate with the 34 instead of following the 75 along more of Ardencraig Road, Birgidale Road, Dougrie Road and Carmunnock Road.

The route between Rutherglen and Parkhead is a bit long winded and filled with congestion but that's harder to fix unless it went up Abercromby Street but only to then turn right onto Gallowgate and then go along Biggar Street onto the Duke Street side of The Forge.

numtot12345

Hello, slightly off topic but still relevant to speculation.

Does anyone have any further information on the new Renfrew Yoker Swing Bridge?: https://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/2092/Clyde-Waterfront-and-Renfrew-Riverside?

I'm specifically wanting to know whether any bus services are likely to be routed across it? The article below indicates it would take 40 minutes for the bridge to open/close for a ship to pass through, with 3 hours notice given to road users.

I thought I had seen somewhere online that bus operators might be reluctant to run services over this bridge due to that delay. Though how many boats/ships pass that point on the Clyde which would require it to open and stop traffic? If it's really not that many and can be managed, might not be an issue. Would seem a missed opportunity if bus services aren't routed over it given the scale of development in that area and encouraging sustainable travel choices (i.e. reduce reliance on car).

Thanks

sannox

In the planning documents it was indicated that it was unlikely any bus operators would use the bridge due to the disruption when it opens. How that can be managed is unclear.

A Clydebank - Renfrew - Braehead - QUEH service is probably interesting to a few operators.

DJFraz

Before they deleted them, the 8.00 and 8.30am from Craigend were pretty well used but the earlier services from Parkhead were very poorly supported.
That was definitely the case from my experience. If I had to change anything about the services around those areas, the things I'd look at are how to make the 46 more reliable and are there any missing links that people would actually use?

A rerouted 38C could be via Warriston St then the old 32 route into Ruchazie and then round to Craigend shops, Mossvale Road, Avenue End Rd then Cumbernauld Road. The only issue is that it would leave the side of Hogganfield Park without a bus until the point where the 19 comes onto Cumbernauld Road.

I also wonder if the 38B could go straight up with the 38 until Gartloch Road then turn right onto Elibank Street, Milncroft Road then Gartcraig Road then the current route. The only issue is that it leaves part of Warriston Street with no bus.

As for the 46, I get why they swapped it around with the 19 after Glasgow Fort through Conisborough Road but that could clip 5 minutes off of the 46 by swapping it back and it could also be sped up by putting it up Castlemilk Drive directly then Ardencraig Road to terminate with the 34 instead of following the 75 along more of Ardencraig Road, Birgidale Road, Dougrie Road and Carmunnock Road.

The route between Rutherglen and Parkhead is a bit long winded and filled with congestion but that's harder to fix unless it went up Abercromby Street but only to then turn right onto Gallowgate and then go along Biggar Street onto the Duke Street side of The Forge.
Great suggestions Paul. I frequently wrote to First Glasgow requesting that the 32 was extended to cover the Parade, Duke Street and Gallowgate. This was the route years ago when it also covered Easterhouse. However, back then, they extended the 38 to Easterhouse and re routed the 8 to cover the Parade etc and the 32 became toast. At this time the bus had reasonable /good passenger numbers throughout the day but particularly the early morning from Craigend and later services from Parkhead between 5/6.20pm and FG actually had a third bus on the route available, I was told to improve reliability. The 32 could have been a brilliant shopping service and would have given passengers access to rail stations and a great connection for City Centre services. Instead it terminated at the back of Craigend with the the Health Centre and Fort not covered and it covered the hopeless Todd Street where there has been mass demo and barely a passenger used it. They destroyed the service with their constant changes.
Strangely enough, all of the bus stops were left in place with a notice but just in the last few weeks, most of the stops in Gartcraig Road have been removed completely. Same in Todd Street however the 32 stops in Ruchazie are still in place.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
I was having a think about potential changes when driver and vehicle resources allow it and honestly there are definitely a bunch of things regarding timings and frequency changes I'd definitely consider now:

Current network:

M3- Move the timings towards Milton forward in the morning to allow suitability for 8am and 9am shift starts at Stobhill Hospital as the first 2 M3s get there are 8:04 and 9:04 towards Milton.

1B- Terminate all journeys at Westcliff. See extended 206 for alternative.

1C/1D- Increase each to every 15 minutes if double deckers can't ever be an option to cope with increasing passenger loads.

3- Increase to every 12 mins.

4/4A- Increase the number of buses between Broomhill and Clarkston to 4 an hour from 3 even if means terminating one at Clarkston Sheddens Roundabout.

6- Reduce to every 20 minutes from the City Centre to Clydebank.

6A- Reduce to every 20 minutes.

8- Introduce more double deckers to the route.

9/9A- Keep double deckers on the route.

16- Drop to hourly off peak and cut service back to Partick.

34- Increase to every 12 minutes.

57/57A- Increase to every 15 minutes each if they remain single deckers long term.

61- Increase to every 12 minutes.

77- Increase to every 12 minutes at peak times in both directions.

81- Axed and replaced by new 2A.

90- Introduce double deckers to the route more frequently.

201- Increase to every 12 minutes.

206- Every 30 minutes extends to Helensburgh to replace shortened 1B.

New services:

2A- Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to Duntocher via Clyde Tunnel, Whiteinch, Scotstoun, Yoker, Clydebank and Hardgate to replace axed 81. Every 20 minutes frequency.

6B- George Square to Clydebank via Great Western Road, Gartnavel Hospital, Anniesland, Blairdardie, Great Western Retail Park, Kilbowie Roundabout and Kilbowie Road. Every 20 minutes to keep a pattern with the 6A.

7B- Renumbered version of current 65 to allow the 46 to become a 65 and fit in numerically at Parkhead.

86- Buchanan Bus Station to Bishopbriggs Strathkelvin Retail Park via Cathedral Street, Royal Infirmary, Royston, Provanmill, Robroyston and Westerhill every 30 minutes.

63- Renumbered 43
65- Renumbered 46

Jordan Adam

Established Member
6- Reduce to every 20 minutes from the City Centre to Clydebank.

6A- Reduce to every 20 minutes.
Perhaps if that was done the 6A could be extended to East Kilbride rather than having a short working 6 every 20 minutes. Doing this would maintain 6 buses per hour between East Kilbride and Great Western Road while also providing a direct link from parts of the 6 route south of the city centre to Drumchapel.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Perhaps if that was done the 6A could be extended to East Kilbride rather than having a short working 6 every 20 minutes. Doing this would maintain 6 buses per hour between East Kilbride and Great Western Road while also providing a direct link from parts of the 6 route south of the city centre to Drumchapel.
That would certainly be a good way of getting around that. The 6A going to East Kilbride would probably work better for reliability than the 6 anyway as Yoker can be quite bad for traffic at peak times and the bus lane just before the 6 turns onto Anniesland Road from Dumbarton Road is always full of parked cars and vans.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Baillieston train station is now electrified with a more frequent service than it’s ever had not to mention Broomhouse is sandwiched between walking to Hamilton Road for the frequent 240/255 services or walking up the hill to the 2 which is extremely frequent. I think it would be unnecessary to have another service start there and delay the 38E even more. It’s a simple route which should be kept simple IMO.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Baillieston train station is now electrified with a more frequent service than it’s ever had not to mention Broomhouse is sandwiched between walking to Hamilton Road for the frequent 240/255 services or walking up the hill to the 2 which is extremely frequent. I think it would be unnecessary to have another service start there and delay the 38E even more. It’s a simple route which should be kept simple IMO.
I agree with you regarding the 38E. I definitely wouldn't touch it now either. I wonder if people in Broomhouse know what options they have around them. A bit of promotion may help in one form or another as well as the online timetables having route maps so that people can see which roads are covered in each area instead of just having timing points to go by if they're not familiar with the service.

One thing I wonder about is how well would the X11 do if it ran later into Glasgow and out? I got the last one into Glasgow from Motherwell today and it had around 50 people on it. I wonder if running them to 6pm into Glasgow and roughly 8pm to Newmains would be viable. Obviously only if driver resources allowed for it but it's definitely something I feel could work if it was tried as it would possibly be an option for those working backshift in Glasgow and also those who work till 5/5:30pm in Lanarkshire for the likes of the NHS etc.

Another thing I also wonder is if the 241 and 254 would work in a combined loop via Biggar Road given that Newarthill and Cleland are right next to each other and you can't walk between them due to the lack of pavement in certain parts of the roads between them. This would also given Carfin and Newarthill a link to Cleland, Coltness, Wishaw, Wishaw General, Netherton and Muirhouse. This would look like an inner circle/outer circle type situation of course. North Motherwell to Motherwell could still be served by a short route service like the current shorter workings of the 241.

Last edited:

DJFraz

I agree with you regarding the 38E. I definitely wouldn't touch it now either. I wonder if people in Broomhouse know what options they have around them. A bit of promotion may help in one form or another as well as the online timetables having route maps so that people can see which roads are covered in each area instead of just having timing points to go by if they're not familiar with the service.

One thing I wonder about is how well would the X11 do if it ran later into Glasgow and out? I got the last one into Glasgow from Motherwell today and it had around 50 people on it. I wonder if running them to 6pm into Glasgow and roughly 8pm to Newmains would be viable. Obviously only if driver resources allowed for it but it's definitely something I feel could work if it was tried as it would possibly be an option for those working backshift in Glasgow and also those who work till 5/5:30pm in Lanarkshire for the likes of the NHS etc.

Another thing I also wonder is if the 241 and 254 would work in a combined loop via Biggar Road given that Newarthill and Cleland are right next to each other and you can't walk between them due to the lack of pavement in certain parts of the roads between them. This would also given Carfin and Newarthill a link to Cleland, Coltness, Wishaw, Wishaw General, Netherton and Muirhouse. This would look like an inner circle/outer circle type situation of course. North Motherwell to Motherwell could still be served by a short route service like the current shorter workings of the 241.
The 38E from Baillieston to Alexandra Parade is poorly used. That`s why FG have deleted it altogether on a Sunday and I will be interested to see if it will be reduced to every 45 minutes like the 38C. Typically however, intransigent FG do nothing to try to attract more passengers and there are options along that part of the route.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 38E from Baillieston to Alexandra Parade is poorly used. That`s why FG have deleted it altogether on a Sunday and I will be interested to see if it will be reduced to every 45 minutes like the 38C. Typically however, intransigent FG do nothing to try to attract more passengers and there are options along that part of the route.
The south side of the 38s will probably save the parts beyond Alexandra Parade with how busy they are and the lack of places for turning them around in the east end. The only one I can really think of is at Riddrie at the library or if Carntyne Square was ever used as a terminus. The 38 itself is fine every 15 minutes to Glasgow Fort but even that can be slightly quieter in the east beyond Riddrie.

I think a bit of a refresh and some new options could help get people onto buses but, unless there is more bus priority across the city and the low emission zone reduces car use more than I think it will, I don't see First making many changes given that they haven't done much in recent times and the only services with frequency increases in 2023 so far are the 18, 267 and 500.

The 254 increase may also have been in 2023 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Spsf3232

38E is a waste of resources, people from that area usually use the 900 to get into Glasgow. There isn't much on Edinburgh Rd for them to go to on the way either

PaulMc7

Established Member
38E is a waste of resources, people from that area usually use the 900 to get into Glasgow. There isn't much on Edinburgh Rd for them to go to on the way either
The 41 also covers a lot of Edinburgh Road too with the 38E and it's quick enough to be an adequate service. The part of Edinburgh Road with just the 38E is also close enough to Garrowhill Train Station and just up from the 2 as well. I wouldn't say the 38E is fully a waste of resources due to the fact most of the route is more than busy enough though.

The main thing First can really do is to serve the end of areas that the trains don't and offer connections that the trains can't. Doing more of that is what can bring new passengers and keep the current ones.

Last edited:
The 41 is a well used service on Edinburgh Rd.

Once the 41 has taken most passengers as it’s the most frequent service found on Edinburgh road, there aren't many passengers left other than those who perhaps want to go to the Royal Infirmary.

Attracting people should not be a challenging or daunting task for an operation that is meant to be dedicated to “customers”, but the fact is nothing about First attracts your attention, let alone change your intentions of how you usually travel, e.g. by train or car.

The buses in Glasgow are at a precipice of them now being overpriced and those using them have to, not likely because they want to.

PaulMc7

Established Member

Once the 41 has taken most passengers as it’s the most frequenct service found on Edinburgh road there isn’t much passengers left other than those who perhaps want to go to the Royal Infirmary.

Attracting people should not be a challenging or daunting task for an operation that is ment to be dedicated to “customers”, but the fact is nothing about First attracts your attention let alone change your intentions of how you usually travel, e.g. by train or car.

The buses in Glasgow are at a precipice of them now being overpriced and those using them have to, not likely because they want to.
I wouldn't say our buses are overpriced, especially given the funding cut and costs increasing. Singles? Maybe slightly but if concession reimbursement wasn't awful then they wouldn't be so expensive and when you compared to McGill's, First's are far cheaper almost immediately. Glasgow to Paisley, for example, is well over £5 for a single with McGill's.

The main problems I find are that people think buses can clearly fly and that roadworks and congestion are just excuses for buses being late. The app and social media strategy are very poor but aside from that, the last couple of months have probably been my best experiences of the buses here since before Covid.

The drivers all seem far more pleasant now. I think I've had one bad experience and that was because my ticket wouldn't scan on the 263; the driver didn't know the direct debit ticket exists so he thought it was an old ticket when in fact it was valid for another 28 days. The main issue he had was that it had my original order date on it so thought it had expired yet completely ignored the days left.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

The south side of the 38s will probably save the parts beyond Alexandra Parade with how busy they are and the lack of places for turning them around in the east end. The only one I can really think of is at Riddrie at the library or if Carntyne Square was ever used as a terminus. The 38 itself is fine every 15 minutes to Glasgow Fort but even that can be slightly quieter in the east beyond Riddrie.

I think a bit of a refresh and some new options could help get people onto buses but, unless there is more bus priority across the city and the low emission zone reduces car use more than I think it will, I don't see First making many changes given that they haven't done much in recent times and the only services with frequency increases in 2023 so far are the 18, 267 and 500.

The 254 increase may also have been in 2023 if I remember correctly.

Regarding the 38E, I can remember both pre and post Overground that the Glasgow - Baillieston section used to be the 213 (formerly Kelvin Central Buses) that ran beyond Baillieston to Petersburn via Bargeddie Station, A89, Coatbridge, and Airdrie.

When Overground was introduced, it [the 213] was trimmed back to Airdrie as the 201 got upgraded to an Overground route. In subsequent years and before Simplicity, it was trimmed back to Bargeddie Station then Baillieston.

Furthermore, the other Glasgow - Airdrie - Petersburn route I remember is the 262 (former KCB) that ran via Glasgow Cross, Parkhead Cross, Shettleston, Baiilieston (the same line of route as the 62), Kirkwood, Old Monkland, Whifflet station, Coatbridge, and Airdrie. Again, the 262 was trimmed back to Airdrie as the 201 was upgraded to an Overground route. I am totally not certain about this but before the 262 became incorporated with the 62, I think the 262 did have a short spell of running via Duke Street vice Gallowgate between Glasgow Cross and Parkhead Cross way before Simplicity.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Regarding the 38E, I can remember both pre and post Overground that the Glasgow - Baillieston section used to be the 213 (formerly Kelvin Central Buses) that ran beyond Baillieston to Petersburn via Bargeddie Station, A89, Coatbridge, and Airdrie.

When Overground was introduced, it [the 213] was trimmed back to Airdrie as the 201 got upgraded to an Overground route. In subsequent years and before Simplicity, it was trimmed back to Bargeddie Station then Baillieston.

Furthermore, the other Glasgow - Airdrie - Petersburn route I remember is the 262 (former KCB) that ran via Glasgow Cross, Parkhead Cross, Shettleston, Baiilieston (the same line of route as the 62), Kirkwood, Old Monkland, Whifflet station, Coatbridge, and Airdrie. Again, the 262 was trimmed back to Airdrie as the 201 was upgraded to an Overground route. I am totally not certain about this but before the 262 became incorporated with the 62, I think the 262 did have a short spell of running via Duke Street vice Gallowgate between Glasgow Cross and Parkhead Cross way before Simplicity.
The 262 (previously number 260 with grey branded B7Ls although mainly saw Volvo PS B10Ms) ran out of Buchanan Bus Station and followed a very similar route to the 62 but I don’t ever recall it running through Duke Street.

The old 213 also used to run from Bargeddie to BBS and at one time was being extended over towards Eglington Toll way before the simplicity days. I always recall the route being dominated by red Leyland Tiger buses. Those were noisy machines! Once Simplicity was brought in they axed they Bargeddie section and currently now no First services cover this area anymore.

Bus Lightyear

Once the 41 has taken most passengers as it’s the most frequenct service found on Edinburgh road there isn’t much passengers left other than those who perhaps want to go to the Royal Infirmary.

Attracting people should not be a challenging or daunting task for an operation that is ment to be dedicated to “customers”, but the fact is nothing about First attracts your attention let alone change your intentions of how you usually travel, e.g. by train or car.

You could say the same about every town and city in the country.

We all wish for better terms for drivers/fitters, lower fares and more frequent buses but that just isn't possible.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Are there any changes to the east end services that could be made to get people onto buses? Cranhill having a City Centre link that runs later than the 46 does might help but the main problem is that it's not First who have the SPT part of the service. I can't really think of anywhere that has a possible easy change that could be made that doesn't increase driver and vehicle requirements. I also don't see First ever going beyond Baillieston again unless they are paid to.

On another note, another thing I wonder about the viability of is if the 21 could be extended to Hairmyres Hospital from Gardenhall given that the hospital is barely a few minutes away from the current terminus. It would give more of Calderwood, St Leonards, Murrayhill and Greenhills a direct First bus to Hairmyres.

I've seen that suggested a few times now and it's not the most wild suggestion I've ever seen for a route extension.

Last edited:

DJFraz

38E is a waste of resources, people from that area usually use the 900 to get into Glasgow. There isn't much on Edinburgh Rd for them to go to on the way eitnggmgng
Are there any changes to the east end services that could be made to get people onto buses? Cranhill having a City Centre link that runs later than the 46 does might help but the main problem is that it's not First who have the SPT part of the service. I can't really think of anywhere that has a possible easy change that could be made that doesn't increase driver and vehicle requirements. I also don't see First ever going beyond Baillieston again unless they are paid to.

On another note, another thing I wonder about the viability of is if the 21 could be extended to Hairmyres Hospital from Gardenhall given that the hospital is barely a few minutes away from the current terminus. It would give more of Calderwood, St Leonards, Murrayhill and Greenhills a direct First bus to Hairmyres.

I've seen that suggested a few times now and it's not the most wild suggestion I've ever seen for a route extension.
As you will know, all the social housing in Queenslie was demolished years ago, that`s nearly 700 houses. Cranhill has also been subjected to widespread, mass demolition. The area is characterised by massive, sprawling open spaces and there appears to be no strategy to build on the land. With such a population decline, I guess it`s no surprise that bus services have taken a massive hit. However, people still live there and it`s not a small area by any stretch of the imagination. In the more recent past, in terms of City Centre services, the 51 serviced the area. It was cancelled and a 138 covered Cranhill. When this was removed, the 39 appeared but it didn`t last either. FG have zero commitment to the area although years ago they tried a no 7 then the 29 via North Carntyne and Ruchazie both of which went to Cardowan, another area they have turned their back on.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
As you will know, all the social housing in Queenslie was demolished years ago, that`s nearly 700 houses. Cranhill has also been subjected to widespread, mass demolition in the area. The area is characterised by massive, sprawling open spaces and there appears to be no strategy to build on the land. With such a population decline, I guess it`s no surprise that bus services have taken a massive hit. However, people still live there and it`s not a small area by any stretch of the imagination. In the more recent past, in terms of City Centre services, the 51 serviced the area. It was cancelled and a 138 covered Cranhill. When this was removed, the 39 appeared but it didn`t last either. FG have zero commitment to the area although years ago they tried a no 7 then the 29 via North Carntyne and Ruchazie both of which went to Cardowan, another area they have turned their back on.
The 6 from Cardowan is another service I remember, although I don't remember the exact route and there's been the likes of the 32/33 across the east end too. I definitely think that if First actually communicated with the public they'd find a better use of some of their resources. Some suggestions from people are wild but even trialling things for 5-6 months would be something that shows that people are at least being listened to.

The City Centre tends to be where most people want to go but the likes of the 8, 34 and 90 show that other things can absolutely work if done right. Queenslie Industrial Estate is absolutely massive and just next to Cranhill so both could certainly be worked into one service.

I'm surprised that the 46 doesn't serve the stop on Blairtumnock Road that the SPT part of the service uses as a terminus. It would really only add another minute or two to serve. The 38E, 41 and 43 are all close enough to the bottom end of the industrial estate to cover that end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.