• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speeding cars, lorries, trains, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
These are only guidelines. Police can still book you for doing 0.1 mph over the limit.

The can, but they need to get a proscution as well. Something that would be extremely difficult as 0.1mph is very easy to challange in a court. 77mph is a lot more difficult although I expect there are technicalities, I was doing 78mph not 77mph so not guilt of the offence you are charging with gov. True free to go as you were not doing 77mph....<D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
It would never ever happen though. I used to travel through the horrible roadworks on the M1 going up north past Nottingham and I always set my cruise control to 53mph so bearing in mind that the speed limit was reduced to 50mph and there were average speed cameras throughout the roadworks, why was I never done for exceeding the speed limit by 3mph? As stated by someone else, my car probably does actually lie about the speed I am doing but the police would never ever entertain trying to convict someone of doing 50.1mph in a 50mph zone, they have bigger fish to fry than to waste their time :D

j0hn0

it is a well known fact that ALL speedometers lie.

hire cars even more so, just check it against your GPS which is much more accurate "apparently" :)

Zoe

Established Member
hire cars even more so, just check it against your GPS which is much more accurate "apparently" :)
GPS will only give true speed when you are on the level.

Greeny

I caught something recently on BBC North West news. I forget which Force it was but this cretin with a load of pips and crowns on his shoulders said their criteria was 10% + 3mph before they do you.

How wide spread or uniform that is I don't know. But I'd realy love to see the Coppper who tried to do somebdy fr 30.1 in a 30 zone.

G

Geezertronic

Established Member
I used to work with a guy whose friend was a Traffic Cop on the M6/M42 around Birmingham. He said they didn't usually pull people over if they were doing under 85mph (unless they were in the variable speed limit section on the M6/M42 and it was advising a lower speed)

leewoods60019

Speed cameras don't tell the truth at all, not long ago a speed camera clocked a bus going about 105mph or something like that (on normal roads!) which is pretty much fake

me123

Established Member
it is a well known fact that ALL speedometers lie.

I think speedometers tend to over-read by about 10%, or a few miles an hour. Although I think that's for moderate speeds (20-40mph), rather than up at 70mph. In our area, there's electric signs which tell you your speed. If they're to be believed, it is about 10%.

I've heard the 10% + 3mph thing as well for speed cameras. In theory, for a 40mph speed camera, you can travel at what your speedometer says is 50mph (40mph + 10% + 3 = 47mph, + 10% speedometer over-read) before it would catch you. That said, it's not a theory I'd like to try! I don't recommend trying this, and I'll just stick to the speed limit, thank you very much.

The simple fact so called "safety" aka speed cameras actually:

1. Cause more accidents than they prevent.

2. Cause more traffic congestion.

3. Cause serious resentment amongst drivers.

4. Are known to be plain & simple revenue raising machines.

I do about 10k miles pa & I have a satnav with all of the so called safety cameras logged in it, everything from Gatsos, SPECS, Redlight & Mobile sites, both here & EU, from:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ for £20 pa, its saved me loads of money & points on my licence from the sly & underhand tricks of these so called "safety camera partnerships".

It's not because I do drive at reckless speeds in my car, I use it because it's so easy nowadays to accidentally speed, with all of the creature comforts in a car & concentrating on where you're going and the car in front of you, it's easy to inadvertently go over the limit; It's quite simple you cannot watch the speedo & where you're going at the same time.

Established Member
It's quite simple you cannot watch the speedo & where you're going at the same time.

I know where you're coming from but drivers are still responsible for checking their speed as well as where they are on the road. It really isn't that hard. I agree it can also be easy to go over the limit at times but still just as easy to lay off the accelerator for a bit.

I'm unsure on speed cameras, some are there only to make money but some are there to increase safety. I'm not sure if you can back your statements up that you have listed, but would be good to see some evidence.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The original GATSO cameras had film for 800 pictures (400 offences) - I say this from memory so might be wrong - so I guess they set the trigger quite high to simply ensure they could concentrate on those going a LOT faster than those a few mph above.

It's up to them to set a trigger, but there's no specific rule that says they must give a tolerance. It stands to reason that there probably will be, as most sensible police officers know that speed in itself doesn't kill - but inappropriate speed, or a large differential in speed, can be dangerous.

With modern digital cameras that have no film, they could set the trigger much lower and let a computer dish out fines automatically. As far as I know, there still has to be some manual intervention/checking before issuing a notice of intended prosecution. Otherwise, you could - and would - probably find nearly every motorist in the UK would be done within days.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I sort of agree with the GATSO's been a waste of time, you get people slamming the
breaks on a slowing down to 40mph when they where doing 60mph in a 60mph zone!

I like the SPECS if they are really serious about enforcement as it stops the speed, slow down for the camera (which isn't hard to spot) then speed again mentallity. I am not sure however if a SPECS camera can catch people that are breaking the speed limit for the vechile they are driving. Surely on a A road it is more dangerous for a HGV to be doing 56mph (I think that is when the limiter kicks in) then a car to be doing 66mph. Would the lorry that is heavily speeding be caught as it is under 60mph? I suspect it would, correct me if I am wrong but these crude devices only check for breaking limits. Many people don't realise that large vans are only supposed to do 50mph on A-roads and not 70! (again people don't care if it isn't slowing them down!)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I sort of agree with the GATSO's been a waste of time, you get people slamming the breaks on a slowing down to 40mph when they where doing 60mph in a 60mph zone!
That is the motorists fault for not understanding the concept of speed cameras - not the cameras fault.

Failed Unit

Established Member
That is the motorists fault for not understanding the concept of speed cameras - not the cameras fault.

Maybe, but the fact is that kind of bad driving causes many accidents something the camera is out to prevent.

To me the worse kind of driver on the road is the mono driver, the one that trundles along a nice clear road with a speed limit of 60mph at 40mph (and a long queue of annoyed motorists behind them). The then get to a village with a 30mph speed limit but continue at 40mph. :roll: I would make them all retake thier driving tests!

me123

Established Member
I sort of agree with the GATSO's been a waste of time, you get people slamming the
breaks on a slowing down to 40mph when they where doing 60mph in a 60mph zone!

That's not the cameras. That's stupidity on the part of the drivers. There's one near my house in a 40mph zone, however most people crawl through it at 30mph; I have seen 20mph as well. Normally I just move out a lane and overtake them at 35-40mph. I go through it at close 40mph at least a couple of times a week and I've never been flashed, so there's no excuse for going through at 20 "just in case". :roll:

The best ones, though, are the average speed cameras. They're on the A80 just now to enforce a 40mph speed limit for the roadworks. At first, some people didn't seem to understand the concept of average speed cameras. So they flew along at 60, 70, 80 mph (totally unacceptable when there's roadworks and filter lanes and narrow lanes and whatnot), but slowed down for the cameras. I'd imagine that they got a bit of a surprise when the fines started pouring in...

Failed Unit

Established Member
The best ones, though, are the average speed cameras. They're on the A80 just now to enforce a 40mph speed limit for the roadworks. At first, some people didn't seem to understand the concept of average speed cameras. So they flew along at 60, 70, 80 mph (totally unacceptable when there's roadworks and filter lanes and narrow lanes and whatnot), but slowed down for the cameras. I'd imagine that they got a bit of a surprise when the fines started pouring in...

I haven't been on that section of road since the camera's appeared, but I did drive it last year before they put them in. They needed to go there as it was the only way to get people to respect the speed limit. I was doing 55mph (which is bad enough) but was still one of the slowest people on that road. The professionals (bus, coaches and lorries) we just as good as everyone else at ignoring it!

David

Established Member
Would the lorry that is heavily speeding be caught as it is under 60mph?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, yes they can be caught.

I've been flashed by a camera before when doing 48mph in a 3.5t van on the A631 between Gainsborough and Caenby Corner, so they can definately tell the difference between cars and goods vehicles.

Anyway, my thoughts on speed cameras ....

They are completely misused. Instead of the odd camera around an accident blackspot, the entire stretch of road should be blanketed by them. IE. Cameras spaced every 200 yards or so for 1 1/2 miles, in both directions. If a driver has an accident then because (s)he was speeding, it's there on film, and the police will be able to throw the book at them.

Geezertronic

Established Member

You get a lot of that on the sections of the M6 and M1 that have roadworks and those cameras on as well, despite the signs saying Average Speed Cameras I always see idiots slowing down for the cameras then speeding up. You gotta laugh at them :D

starrymarkb

Established Member
SPECS isn't a money earner, they are so effective at dettering that they don't earn enough from fines to even pay back the installation...

I believe the set on the M5 around Sandygate during the widening and barrier replacement were only catching around 10 per day. A Gatso's 400 shots would need replenishing daily!

rail-britain

Established Member
Under the vehicle construction act, a car speedometer only needs to have a maximum tolerance of 10%, coaches and HGVs have a maximum tolerance of 3%

I have successfully defended several charges of "speeding" on a variety of technicalities
One of these even used the word "speeding" and the Sherrif agreed that I was speeding at a speed in excess of 1mph, therefore the procurator fiscal had to be more specific on the original charge, which they couldn't
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The best ones, though, are the average speed cameras. They're on the A80 just now to enforce a 40mph speed limit for the roadworks
I've been making regular FOI requests to find out how many people have been sent NIP and of those how many have actually accepted a FPN or proceeded to court
It's laughable, since November 2009 none have gone to court yet
Just 138 Fixed Penalty Notices have been issued, 43 have been accepted
That excludes anyone stopped by police and issued with a verbal NIP

Last edited:
What made me chuckle a while back when I was driving back home from a meeting near Woking, trundling along the M3 at 50mph in the roadworks section covered by specs cameras when a girl (probably not much beyond the age of 20) driver went flying past me, I'd say at pretty much normal motorway speed with a phone lodged in one ear and a map on the steering wheel!

Now that makes my blood ******* well boil, but as I trundled along, I was thinking she's going to get a nasty surprise in the post. Actually the boys in blue from the Hampshire force did even better they pulled her over! (YES! SO THERE IS A GOD!) I'd love to have heard the excuse for a map on the wheel & phone in hand + speeding x2! <D:lol:

stut

Established Member
It's quite simple you cannot watch the speedo & where you're going at the same time.

If you can't keep your speed and watch where you're going, you're not fit to drive.

There's no excuse for speeding. People who whinge on about cameras are simply those who want to ignore the law and get away with it.

(And ironically, usually the ones who get apoplectic about cyclists jumping lights...)

rail-britain

Established Member
A few weeks ago...
Car pulls into Gretna Motorway Service Area
"Can you help me, how much further to Birmingham Airport?"
"Blimey, I would say a good four hours"
"What, we've been driving for five hours from London"

Zoe

Established Member
What made me chuckle a while back when I was driving back home from a meeting near Woking, trundling along the M3 at 50mph in the roadworks section covered by specs cameras when a girl (probably not much beyond the age of 20) driver went flying past me, I'd say at pretty much normal motorway speed with a phone lodged in one ear and a map on the steering wheel!
Out of interest, what were you even doing on the M3? M25 - M4 - M5 is a faster route.

rail-britain

Established Member
What made it worse, is they were flying to Edinburgh
The company wanted them to drive back to Birmingham, then get the "next flight"
We suggested they would be better to keep going, then drive back afterwards
However the company was adamant and made them drive back south!

Out of interest, what were you even doing on the M3? M25 - M4 - M5 is a faster route.

It's a lot longer to go M25, M4 & M5.

From Woking, out via Chobham to Lightwater, M3, A303 all the way to Illminster, A358 to Taunton.

Simple, easy and the A303 is all dual carriageway (70mph) apart from some relatively small sections (60 & 50mph) of single carriageway namely from near Stonehenge to the other side of Winterborne Stoke, Wylye to Chilmark, Chicklade to Mere, Sparkford Hill to Podimore, South Petherton to Illminster (Now that bypass IS DANGEROUS & was designed by idiots!). Also since I moved here I've learned loads of short cuts and I can get round the bottlenecks and trouble spots too.

Besides I usually go off peak anyway so the traffic is a lot lighter, so I can get a real good run home.

Oh stut, when you get your head out of your backside & realise that by concentrating on a speedo you're chances of hitting something or someone increase at an exponential rate, similar to mobile phone usage, let me know.

I suspect that you're one of the idiot drivers who hogs the middle & outside lanes and won't do anymore than the limit & will hold up everyone else in the process! Personally I'll just go around you! Yes, undertake! No, it's not illegal to do so provided that the manoeuvre can be achieved safely. Done it loads of times & it's legal otherwise you could find that everything will grind to a rapid halt on motorways etc where the inside lane (lane 1) will move first before the other lanes (2, 3 & 4).

Geezertronic

Established Member
Middle lane hoggers and idiots driving while on their phone really get up my nose - because the idiots are just not concentrating properly enough in either respect. Instead of concentrating solely on speeding, the Police should concentrate on these offences as well, the latter being a considerably more serious offence.

Zoe

Established Member
The A303 is a great road in theory but get stuck behind a truck on one of the single carriageway sections it can get very frustrating. At least you avoid the worst of them all though from Ilminster to Honiton. The M4/M5 route is at faster, less stressful and you won't get stuck behind a truck. From Woking to Taunton though there may not be that much in it as you have to add time to get to the M4. It's still very frustrating doing 40 mph behind a truck for miles though.

Anyway. What's this topic doing in this forum anyway? It's for NR topics, that's National Rail, not National Road.

Would a moderator care to move it to a more appropriate location. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.