• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spitfire Railtours

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooliemag

Whilst browsing the various railtour sites planning trips for next year, I thought I would just take a quick look at the Spitfire site and was surprised to see that the site had been updated ( abeit in August ) simply with a the message " We will be back". Has anyone any more recent news about this development?? I`ve had many a good trip on their railtours and even won the raffle once :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Some have said that it was someone hacking the website and changing it for humour purposes.

However I did speak to a Northern Guard (not sure if he is the namesake on here, he does work at the same depot) who is a steward for Spitfire and he believed they were trying to make a comeback earlier this year.

junglejames

Established Member
I believe i saw someone on another forum say he had emailed Spitfire, and they confirmed what was on the website. Next year supposedly. We shall see.

bronzeonion

Fingers crossed! Spitfire are my favourite railtour company because the tickets are reasonably priced, the stock always being the brilliant WCRC MK1's and never a 66 or 67 on the front!

alastair

Fingers crossed! Spitfire are my favourite railtour company because the tickets are reasonably priced, the stock always being the brilliant WCRC MK1's and never a 66 or 67 on the front!

There is also the great advantage that,not being operated by DBS,they might actually run!

ModernRailways

Established Member
There is also the great advantage that,not being operated by DBS,they might actually run!

DB are much better now aren't they? There are still one or two problems but most tours run fine.

I must also say I love a 66 on the front, especially when you have a driver who will give it some welly. They sound pretty good. It may just be that I'm sick of 37s since they are still relatively common but I would prefer a 60 or 66 on the front of a tour than a 37. A deltic on the other hand, well that would be different, very different!

Whistler40145

Established Member
I used to like Spitfire Tours, because the majority of tours you could travel behind 20s & 37s, sometimes you would get 66s, but you would get more thrash out of a pair of English Electric locos, but that's my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guessing things could only get better for this shower - after the debacle of their first attempted railtour - Class 87, Wolverhampton - Glasgow, December 2007 ?
Four hours waiting on a cold and boring (!) Crewe station - with only second hand information coming through from those with friends at Wolves - blew it with Moi.
Never again - and, if resurrected - never again, AGAIN !

Railtours be such an expensive and all too often uncomfortable chore - do not miss them.
That said, will joining a BLS tour this weekend - hm !

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Well they're certainly not in bad shape for their age! Better than Riviera's

Do the temperature control for the loo sinks ever work in Riviera stock? Nothing worst than washing your hand's on a cold tour in the Winter with a freezing cold tap that can't produce hot water!

One of Riviera's coaches lighting failed (probably the battery) throughout last month on the Holyhead tour, we had glow sticks for the return in the dark

Not all the coaches from Riviera seem to be in a good state, been on a few other tours too where another coaches lighting has gone down all day or the heating not working or bust PA where you can't hear jack all.

railnut21

Still no sign of any changes but I'll give them time and adopt a wait and see approach

Whistler40145

Established Member
If Spitfire Tours ever make a comeback, then "Pigs will Fly"!

There's about as much chance of Spitfire Tours making a comeback as getting 84001 mainline registered!

Status
Not open for further replies.