• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Splitting journey from BZ6 to Cowes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdini

Hi,

Firstly, brief outline of my query - I am thinking to go to Cowes (I believe usual route is via Southampton) but would like to visit my friend in Bognor Regis first. I live in St Albans so probably would take FCC to East Croydon & onwards.

Is there any way I can buy a split ticket instead of every leg separately? Is there perhaps a better routing I might have overlooked?

Currently, I have the following...
Annual season to from SAC to West Hampstead
Disabled railcard
Freedom pass

As a result, the journey to the southern edge of BZ6 is a nonissue.

Would I need to buy the following individually
Single from BZ6 to Bognor Regis
Bognor Regis - Southampton (or Cowes?)
(Cowes?) Southampton - BZ6.

I could ask my friend to give me a lift to Portsmouth & try the hovercraft (Never been! So wouldn't mind this route!) so circumventing the middle ticket/leg but don't think the hovercraft goes to the right place on IoW Also, doubt I can persuade my friend to give me a lift on the way back so a simple return ticket is probably out of the question!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Y.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Would you be returning the same day? And which dates are you looking to travel?

Mrdini

Ooops.

Out Fri 10th Aug.
Back either Sun 12th Aug or Mon 13th (not decided yet)

sonic2009

Established Member
Will you be travelling to Cowes on the same day as your travel out to Bognor?

And also what times would you like to travel?

Mrdini

Hi,

Yes, just a day visit to my friend then onwards to Cowes in the evening.

I'm not particular about times really but if it helps with an answer - probably would like to take the first morning off-peak train from BZ6 southbound. (my SAC-WHP railcard & freedom pass are valid for peak travel).

paul1609

Established Member
Hi,

Firstly, brief outline of my query - I am thinking to go to Cowes (I believe usual route is via Southampton) but would like to visit my friend in Bognor Regis first. I live in St Albans so probably would take FCC to East Croydon & onwards.

Is there any way I can buy a split ticket instead of every leg separately? Is there perhaps a better routing I might have overlooked?

Currently, I have the following...
Annual season to from SAC to West Hampstead
Disabled railcard
Freedom pass

As a result, the journey to the southern edge of BZ6 is a nonissue.

Would I need to buy the following individually
Single from BZ6 to Bognor Regis
Bognor Regis - Southampton (or Cowes?)
(Cowes?) Southampton - BZ6.

I could ask my friend to give me a lift to Portsmouth & try the hovercraft (Never been! So wouldn't mind this route!) so circumventing the middle ticket/leg but don't think the hovercraft goes to the right place on IoW Also, doubt I can persuade my friend to give me a lift on the way back so a simple return ticket is probably out of the question!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Y.

Sounds daft I know but wherabouts roughly do you need to go in Cowes? and how mobile are you? (would the bus from Portsmouth SS to the Hoverport be a problem?)

Mrdini

Sounds daft I know but wherabouts roughly do you need to go in Cowes? and how mobile are you? (would the bus from Portsmouth SS to the Hoverport be a problem?)

*scratches head* Not sure what you've got in mind but will try to answer as best as I can!

Where in Cowes? Not sure yet! :) I get the impression its not a big place so if I'm in the wrong place, I'm sure I can walk/ferry over to the right side (I understand Cowes is split in two, connected by chain ferry)

Pompey bus? Not a problem. Freedom passes cover bus travel in any case. But bit unsure why you're asking as I'd probably beg my friend to drop me off at the hoverport! ;)

My concern though is getting from the IoW hoverport (Ryde Esplanade) to Cowes - I don't know if that'd be possible! Hence travelling to Southampton by train from Bognor may be a better option...

paul1609

Established Member
*scratches head* Not sure what you've got in mind but will try to answer as best as I can!

Where in Cowes? Not sure yet! :) I get the impression its not a big place so if I'm in the wrong place, I'm sure I can walk/ferry over to the right side (I understand Cowes is split in two, connected by chain ferry)

Pompey bus? Not a problem. Freedom passes cover bus travel in any case. But bit unsure why you're asking as I'd probably beg my friend to drop me off at the hoverport! ;)

My concern though is getting from the IoW hoverport (Ryde Esplanade) to Cowes - I don't know if that'd be possible! Hence travelling to Southampton by train from Bognor may be a better option...

I would recommend an East Croydon to Ryde Hoverport Off Peak return £27.80 (route not London) plus a Barnham to Bognor Regis Single £1.60 (both include DSB discount) this means going both ways on the hovercraft and using the number 4 bus to/from Cowes.
This leaves from Ryde bus station which is in effect the outside of Ryde Esplanade Railway station over the footbridge from the Hoverport. The bus is only hourly but even so in the down direction this is likely to be faster than travelling via Southampton as the bus only takes 25 mins.
On your return get off the mainland Hovertravel bus that is included in your ticket price at Portsmouth Harbour and you then have a choice of using a SWT service back to London or returning via Southern on the Arun Valley Route. Im no expert on whether you can use a Freedom Pass plus this ticket on a train that doesn't stop at Clapham junction so I would have to recommend that if you choose to return on SWT your train should call at Clapham junction. Note that on Sundays the Southern Portsmouth harbour to London trains travel via the longer and much less scenic Hove Route rather than via Horsham.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm no expert on whether you can use a Freedom Pass plus this ticket on a train that doesn't stop at Clapham junction so I would have to recommend that if you choose to return on SWT your train should call at Clapham junction.
At the times when it is available for National Rail travel, a TfL Freedom Pass is treated as a season ticket.

This means that, if it is combined with one or more other tickets, none of which are season tickets and none of which are leisure passes, it can be used on a train which does not stop where the passenger changes from using one ticket to using the next. See Condition 19(c) of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

An Railcard Off-Peak Return Boundary Zone 6 - Portsmouth Harbour route Any Permitted costs £21. For times when it can be used see Validity Code UO. This ticket would allow return travel on the direct SWT Portsmouth - Waterloo train via Guildford.

An Railcard Off-Peak Return Boundary Zone 6 - Portsmouth Harbour route Southern Only costs £19.20. For times when it can be used see Validity Code 4B. This ticket would not allow return travel via Guildford - all travel with this ticket must be on Southern trains.

I would recommend ... a Barnham to Bognor Regis Single £1.60 (... include DSB discount)
I would buy a £2.20 Railcard Barnham - Bognor Regis Off-Peak Day Return (Validity Code B4). Then I would not be depending on a lift from my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.