• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spot the error(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ASharpe

14941847501_2d5fcf41ea_h.jpg

First I noticed the wiper blade,
Then the two signals being off,
Then the headlight on the drivers side being off.

theironroad

Established Member
Well the missing section of track and the severe curvature of some of those points would be more of an issue.

The headlight is set correct for daytime mainline running, albeit a bit of a faux pax in yards and sidings where no headlight should be on.

Probably ok for both those Sigs to be off as doesn't look like any traffic on other signalled road.

Windscreen wiper motor is pushing wiper of windscreen. Needs adjusting pronto.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What's going on there then? The wiper looks like it's scuffed the paintwork next to the windscreen like it's travelled too far (I had a VW van that did that once just before it flopped down and started wiping the front of the van below the screen where the badge was. I was doing 60 on the M5 at the time).
I don't know enough about signalling to know why both signals are off?

Bromley boy

Established Member
What's going on there then? The wiper looks like it's scuffed the paintwork next to the windscreen like it's travelled too far (I had a VW van that did that once just before it flopped down and started wiping the front of the van below the screen where the badge was. I was doing 60 on the M5 at the time).
I don't know enough about signalling to know why both signals are off?

Slightly concerning there's no interlocking to prevent the signal to the right of the picture (controlling the siding to the loco's left) being off. As pictured this is permitting a conflicting move by being off along with the one controlling the loco.

Looks like the train may have divided!?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Slightly concerning there's no interlocking to prevent the signal to the right of the picture (controlling the siding to the loco's left) being off. As pictured this is permitting a conflicting move by being off along with the one controlling the loco.

Which Bromley boy, definitely wouldn't be a good thing.
Unless they meant it too :lol:

The thing that's offending me the most though is the scratched paint from the badly adjusted wiper. But that maybe just because I'm a painter and someone's got to fix that $%*t...

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
Also the time-stamps on posts to this thread aren't correcting for BST :D

EDIT: they are now. Glitch on my iPad!?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also the time-stamps on posts to this thread aren't correcting for BST :D

EDIT: they are now. Glitch on my iPad!?

Perhaps it's just fake news.
They used to say the camera never lied...

Jonny

Established Member
On second examimation, some of those wagons appear to be in the loop that is signalled "off" (rather than the track that the loco and front wagons are on), perhaps the signals were configured in order to enable a shunting move, so that the wagons could be "picked up".

Bromley boy

Established Member
On second examimation, some of those wagons appear to be in the loop that is signalled "off" (rather than the track that the loco and front wagons are on), perhaps the signals were configured in order to enable a shunting move, so that the wagons could be "picked up".

That could well be it.

Anyone who recognises the location care to comment?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That does make sense.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Looks to me like:

1) the signal closest to the camera applies to the line the train is on, and is therefore off correctly

2) the signal further from the camera applies to the line adjacent, ie to the left of the train as we look at it. This could therefore also be off correctly for a movement not in picture

3) the 'train' behind is in the siding to the right of the main train as we look at it.

Other than the dodgy wiper, all appears to be in order.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Looks to me like:

1) the signal closest to the camera applies to the line the train is on, and is therefore off correctly

2) the signal further from the camera applies to the line adjacent, ie to the left of the train as we look at it. This could therefore also be off correctly for a movement not in picture

3) the 'train' behind is in the siding to the right of the main train as we look at it.

Other than the dodgy wiper, all appears to be in order.

Confirmation of the location from Flickr and checking the appropriate Quail backs your statement. As for the missing track that's what happens when connections are plain-lined on the cheap; so long as the requisite amendments are made to the signalling system it's not a problem.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apart from a dodgy wiper i dont see a problem - i do wish train staff wouod wear full ppe.........

(Runs for cover)

Ploughman

Established Member
Looking at the stock, I think it may be possible this is all in possession working.
So Signal aspects may not be being adhered to.

Ignore that, Just read the caption on the original photo.

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

Apart from the missing point work l, nothing else looks particularly wrong. The signal in focus looks like it applies to the trains movement as it is on his left ( from his pov) I can see a set of handpoints controlling the exit to the siding? So would that be signalled or a stop board local instruction jobby

Deepgreen

Established Member

I assume the signal to the right of the 67 (as we look at it) is controlling the train's move, so should be off. The other signal is for the parallel road and there is no reason to suppose from the photo that it should not be off also. Either the train has divided deliberately or the heat haze prevents a clear view of what may well be further empty low wagons. The only slight issue I can see is the wiper blade on the paintwork.

Chris M

Well the missing section of track and the severe curvature of some of those points would be more of an issue.
I expect that the curvature is an artefact of telephoto foreshortening.

What bothers me most is the chap standing in the four-foot of a line open to traffic, particularly with the signal protecting that bit of track being off.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
What bothers me most is the chap standing in the four-foot of a line open to traffic, particularly with the signal protecting that bit of track being off.

He's standing in a siding, not a running line. The signal above him is the one that applies only to the goods loop on which the 67 and train are stood.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I expect that the curvature is an artefact of telephoto foreshortening.

He isn't - the signal is for the line on which the train is standing/running. The points are not set for the line he is standing on.

Darandio

Established Member
Is the OP going to return and give us an answer? More importantly, is there a prize?

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's hard to tell with the foreshortening, but might the man standing on the track be examining the wiper? There is a glimpse of hi-vis in the cab but I can't tell whether it's hanging up or occupied. The cab window's shut so he presumably isn't talking to anyone in the cab.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The hi-vis looks like it is being worn by a driver (I can make out the shape of a right arm, just about). Also, the cab door is open.

Darandio

Established Member
It's hard to tell with the foreshortening, but might the man standing on the track be examining the wiper? There is a glimpse of hi-vis in the cab but I can't tell whether it's hanging up or occupied. The cab window's shut so he presumably isn't talking to anyone in the cab.

I did wonder that initially but I think I can see a shoulder and top of the arm in the cab. Therefore I think the person is talking to the driver through the open door.

FordFocus

Nothing wrong with that picture.

Looks to me a DB shunter or other member of train crew so probably wouldn't need the Network Rail policy of full PPE including trousers. The driver doesn't need to wear Hi-Vis as they are in the cab.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's an interesting location of the trap point inside the running points (and the bullhead to flat bottom transition in the points).

Having just checked the original Flickr page, the caption there answers many questions...

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
A small scanned extract taken from the 2005 Quail Maps of the immediate area, with the position of the 66 marked in red and the wagons to the rear of it marked in blue. There really is nothing to see here other than a slightly askew windscreen wiper.

Attachments

• img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.