• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting banned at Manchester Piccadilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Not really sure where to put this, but there is a rumour going round this evening that spotting has been banned at Manchester Piccadilly for 4 months due to an incident within the last fortnight.

I've seen quite a few tweets about this, from people across the country.

Would anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Walk to Ardwick, problem solved. They cant physically ban people from standing at the end of the platform can they? They could ask you to move maybe.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They cant physically ban people from standing at the end of the platform can they? They could ask you to move maybe.

It's private property and the Railway Byelaws would certainly seem to contain a provision that could be used against someone who refused to leave:

13. Unauthorised access and loitering

(2) No person shall loiter on the railway if asked to leave by an authorised person.

Established Member
Walk to Ardwick, problem solved. They cant physically ban people from standing at the end of the platform can they? They could ask you to move maybe.
Blackpool North. Thats one way to ban people from standing at the end of a platform!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What does spotting comprise of? Will endless Oxford Road-Piccadilly leaps be counted? What if you're just writing down numbers while waiting for the train?

dviner

Not really sure where to put this, but there is a rumour going round this evening that spotting has been banned at Manchester Piccadilly for 4 months due to an incident within the last fortnight.

I've seen quite a few tweets about this, from people across the country.

Would anyone know if there is any truth in this?

I'm curious about what the incident was that prompted this.

Gathursty

Established Member
Ardwick is alright most of the day, just be careful when the sun starts to descend. It's not exactly in the red light district but you will walk through it going the direct way to Piccadilly.

Dhassell

Apparently, A Kid Asked a Driver If He could get in the cab of a class 68 that was at Manc. Driver Refused, Kid then apparently forced his way on anyway. That is what I had heard.

I really can't see them 'banning' all enthusiasts from the station, More Hassle than its worth? Also for some incident.

Established Member
Apparently, A Kid Asked a Driver If He could get in the cab of a class 68 that was at Manc. Driver Refused, Kid then apparently forced his way on anyway. That is what I had heard.

I really can't see them 'banning' all enthusiasts from the station, More Hassle than its worth? Also for some incident.
Network Rail have confirmed that this isn't true. Panic over!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Harbornite

Established Member
Such a ban would be hard to enforce, I could easily spot trains without being caught by leaving my anorak and flask at home, allowing me to blend in with the normals.

As for photography, it would be more difficult but I guess one could arrange for permission. Anyway, it's good to know that this rumour is just platform-end bravo sierra, although the story about the scrote going in the cab is concerning (if it's true).

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It could be a normal that went into the cab if true (I have seen normals ask to go in the cab). Look how frothy they get around Flying Moneypit after all!

DasLunatic

Such a ban would be hard to enforce, I could easily spot trains without being caught by leaving my anorak and flask at home, allowing me to blend in with the normals.

Who actually wears an anorak and carries a flask nowadays? From many cursory looks at trip reports, there is no need to as most of us make a diversion to a local supermarket (or if you are a quizmaster, the nearest Costa Coffee)...

(I can blend in even better - my trainspotting is done through this app)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

Ban kids?

Harbornite

Established Member
Who actually wears an anorak and carries a flask nowadays? From many cursory looks at trip reports, there is no need to as most of us make a diversion to a local supermarket (or if you are a quizmaster, the nearest Costa Coffee)...

(I can blend in even better - my trainspotting is done through this app)

My problem is that my trainspotterism is given away by my speech impediment, wonky eye and BO...

Bevan Price

Established Member
Perhaps someone thought that the new gates would stop them accessing the platforms without a ticket, and made some silly assumptions ?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I was on train from Preston to Manchester Airport this morning and saw a guy writing numbers down ( Man Picc Platform 10?) an obvious spotter- I am pretty sure he had an anorak on too. This is next to impossible to enforce.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
There were a group of unaccompanied children on Taunton station last week filming all the arrivals and departures. They were doing "that thing with the arm" (up and down movement) to try and get the drivers to sound the horn - with mixed results.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Could someone enlighten me about just what there is to 'spot' on the modern network particularly by the little group who seem to live on Eastleigh?

If you’re talking about Eastleigh railway station my guess would be trains. If you’re talking about the High Street then your guess is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.