• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sprinter engine shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

On a couple of occasions I have noticed Sprinter units (mostly 158s and occasional 156s on Northern and EMT) that have been sitting in a station for a while ticking over will shut down/be shut down around 15 minutes before departure, then restarted 5 or 10 minutes later.

My question is if this is a software thing that the units do, a process performed by train crew, or something else entirely? Many thanks for anyone's input.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
On a couple of occasions I have noticed Sprinter units (mostly 158s and occasional 156s on Northern and EMT) that have been sitting in a station for a while ticking over will shut down/be shut down around 15 minutes before departure, then restarted 5 or 10 minutes later.

My question is if this is a software thing that the units do, a process performed by train crew, or something else entirely? Many thanks for anyone's input.

All the sprinter type fleet and anything newer (eg 170) will shut down automatically after 15 minutes if there is no drivers key in. Fuel and environmental savings.

LowLevel

Established Member
They're on a timer from when the driver takes the key out.

158s have always done it though to allow the air conditioning system to pump down.

Status
Not open for further replies.