St Albans Abbey branch

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Tim B, 8 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim B

Tim B Member

Want to use this line to visit St Albans tomorrow. It's much cheaper to use Oyster PAYG to Watford Junction than to buy a through ticket from my home station of Brondesbury Park.

Do I remember correctly that there are guards/conductors on these LM trains who will sell you tickets ?

Thanks for your help

2. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

Yes there are. I don't remember if there are Oyster readers for interchange as I've not used the station in a while. I imagine if you have to go through the barriers you will be required to buy a ticket as the service is available.

3. James Wake

James Wake Member

I would strongly recommend you buy your WFJ to St Albans Abbey ticket either at Brondesbury Park or as you change at Watford Junction, as I am not sure about if there are conductors on that line and you will be passing opportunities to buy.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The Off Peak day return is £10.90 from Brondesbury Park to St Albans Abbey. It is 2x £2.80 on Oyster, plus a £5 off peak day return from Watford Junction to St Albans Abbey, I make that £10.60, so only a 30p saving.

4. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There are Guards on these trains who will sell you a ticket, probably at the full Anytime rate. However if a revenue inspector finds you, they will probably issue a Penalty Fare.

I would recommend buying the ticket at Brondesbury Park, or online and collect it from Brondesbury Park.

5. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

The guard might sell you one or might not. Your best bet would be to buy one from the ticket office at WFJ, or alternatively there's a TVM and an Oyster reader (to touch out) on platform 9/10.

6. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lorol's Ticket Vending Machines at Brondesbury Park will sell tickets from Watford Jcn to St Albans Abbey, as will the booking office (if it is open).

7. Tim B

Tim B Member

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

We're only travelling one way to St Albans which is why the Oyster PAYG is rather better value than the through ticket Brondesbury Park to St Albans Abbey.

Have bought one way off peak tickets WTJ to SAA from LM to collect at Brondesbury Park.

8. causton

causton Established Member

You could have bought the tickets on the day from the TVM itself as most LOROL TVMs have new functionality to allow this, no reason to buy that sort of fare online :)

I would not routinely rely on buying a ticket on the Abbey line trains, as there are recent frequent RPI blocks on-train and at the entrance to the platform at Watford Junction, so if you had a tight connection you may be refused boarding and sent to the ticket office to buy a ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.