• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Blazey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
Some great news in the latest Steam Railway magazine - Barrow Hill's Mervyn Allcock has reportedly signed a 7-year lease on some of the facilities at St Blazey, including the turntable: https://www.mpowerkernow.org/projects

Operation Trevithick will establish MPKC’s initial facilities at the heart of Cornwall. It is centred around the restoration of a dilapidated steam locomotive turntable and a redundant part of the DB Cargo rail freight depot in St Blazey.

He cautions that it won't be a 'Barrow Hill version 2' but nevertheless sounds promising.

66185 - St.Blazey. by Nathan S, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes very good news indeed, it looks to be quite a large site. Are the buildings that appear to be a "Roundhouse" still used for railway purposes.?

Parham Wood

Good news if the turntable is saved. I am not sure which buildings are included. If it is the old steam shed then maybe if he has taken over the lease the current occupants will have to move out in due course.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good news if the turntable is saved. I am not sure which buildings are included. If it is the old steam shed then maybe if he has taken over the lease the current occupants will have to move out in due course.
I suppose, so long as the turntable is there still and can be used, rail access to the buildings is probably, so so important.

jonge88

The roundhouse buildings are all rented out to businesses - a friend of mine has one and runs a car garage from it. It's quite an interesting set up as he has made use of the original pit. The rails are still in place in all of the units, however internal walls have been added between each road to divide the building up and to separate each "unit" from the neighbouring businesses.

On the turntable itself there is an armco "wall" and security fencing between any of the roads to the old roundhouse and the turntable.

I too am curious as to which building has been rented out, the large shed is in use for servicing the CDA wagons, there are a few temporary buildings dotted around the site, one off the turntable does have rail access but I would imagine it's too small to house anything much bigger than a wagon. Perhaps as above they have managed to secure the roundhouse and the current tenants will be leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.