• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras Int'l to King's Cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
I'm taking a trip to York soon and I expected to take SE HS1 to St Pancras Int'l, walk to King's Cross and then East Coast to York. I went on to National Rail Enquiries to check and it says the walk from St Pancras Int'l to King's Cross will take me 31 minutes.

Now, I frequently travel to St Pancras Int'l, frequently use the joint underground station etc and can see King's Cross next door. Surely 31 minutes has got to be an error? Just wanted to check that I'm not missing something and that this is an error.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
It probably isn't to cover someone on crutches. An able bodied person should get from coach b on platform 0 to the thameslink platform in 10 minutes which is probably the longest walk. I would fancy my chances of getting to Euston in 31 on foot!

A-driver

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's their standard London underground London terminal transfer time. They don't look at it geographically, just take a generous estimate for all transfers.

If your arriving train is on time you could pretty much safely get to kings x platform 0 from st panc in 5-10mins, faster of you leg it.

A-driver

Established Member
Ive done kings x to euston many times in about 15 mins without breaking out in a sweat. But there again in the rush hour when the pavements are mobbed and all the crossings are against you it could take double that I guess.

12CSVT

Established Member
I'd say 5 to 10 minutes from stepping off the HS1 train at St Pancras to reaching the ticket gates at Kings Cross is more realistic. Even quicker if you are familiar with the layout of the two stations (bearing in mind there is a new concourse at Kings Cross).

user15681

Established Member
It probably isn't to cover someone on crutches. An able bodied person should get from coach b on platform 0 to the thameslink platform in 10 minutes which is probably the longest walk. I would fancy my chances of getting to Euston in 31 on foot!

Haha, well the SE platforms are the closest to King's Cross! Thanks for replying. I thought so, but it confused me so much that I had to check.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks for all your answers, don't feel so stupid after all!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am not sure of the best route, I now typically go through the new terminal and cross the road near the HS1 platforms, i know some that use the underground as a subway go via the northern ticket hall.

I bet you can do platform 11 - St pancras quicker than some of KX - not that a York service will arrive on 8 (or maybe a GC one could)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You'll find that the interchange time is made up of the standard interchange at each station plus the time taken to get between the two (usually by tube). This often produces seemingly over generous allowances, but remember, if you are using two tickets to make one journey and want to be covered in the event of delays then you must allow at least the standard interchange time. This is especially true for Advance tickets and when connecting with the last train of the day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The walking time is about 5 minutes (I can't find the list now) but the interchange time is a combination of the interchange time at both stations, plus the walk time. Combined, this forms the minimum time to allow when changing trains as part of a through journey for the purposes of journey planning, valid Advance itineraries, and Delay Repay and ensuring you are covered in the event of delays.

In reality you can interchange in a lot less, particularly if you got out of the front door coming from the SE platforms, and even more so if you got into the rear door of a train in platform 8, in which case 5 minutes from stepping off one train and onto the next is easy to achieve without rushing.

If you have a flexible ticket (ie, not an Advance), you will probably be in a position to catch an earlier train to the recommended service.
I would fancy my chances of getting to Euston in 31 on foot!
10 minutes by this route (allow up to double if using the busy Euston Road due to the huge volume of pedestrians)

Ive done kings x to euston many times in about 15 mins without breaking out in a sweat. But there again in the rush hour when the pavements are mobbed and all the crossings are against you it could take double that I guess.
Not if you go via Brill Place/Phoenix Road (recommended route [stn]STP[/stn]-[stn]EUS[/stn] is on this map, for [stn]KGX[/stn] just walk through STP)

Mr Spock

10 minutes by this route (allow up to double if using the busy Euston Road due to the huge volume of pedestrians)

Not if you go via Brill Place/Phoenix Road (recommended route [stn]STP[/stn]-[stn]EUS[/stn] is on this map, for [stn]KGX[/stn] just walk through STP)

I have never used that route but might give it a try next time.

I usually go down Euston Road and can usually get to Kings Cross in around 10-12 minutes (and I am not paticularly fit). If I want St Pancras I still use Euston Road and cut through the British Museum grounds (if they are open).

Bungle73

On Moderation
I have never used that route but might give it a try next time.

I usually go down Euston Road and can usually get to Kings Cross in around 10-12 minutes (and I am not paticularly fit). If I want St Pancras I still use Euston Road and cut through the British Museum grounds (if they are open).

The BM is no where near there. I think you mean the British Library don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.