• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stafford & along wcml

Status
Not open for further replies.

windoze11

Lo does anyone know of any good line side shots or foot crossings along wcml around the Stafford rugeley Nuneaton area please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
If you haven't yet' and could get there, Stafford station is without barriers and plenty of enthusiasts always seem to be there so I'd guess it's worth checking out.

MK Tom

Established Member
None of the stations between Stone and Nuneaton have barriers. A really obvious place for photography is Polesworth, which sees one train a day at 7AM in one direction only. Apart from the obvious novelty of managing to photograph that service, the rest of the day the platform is deserted. Also there's a canal near there that crosses under the line and provides a good photo angle.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are no at-grade crossings on the WCML at all now.

Crossover

Established Member
There are a couple of LC's between Stoke and Stone on the flat

There is a footbridge immediately South of Stafford station a good 15-20 min walk from the station crossing the line towards Rugeley. From this you can also see the Wolverhampton line across the fields (there is a bridge across that line too but due to being brick built and on the level you won't see a right lot side on)

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info RE this and I can upload a couple of my images so you can see the sorts of shots possible (it is possible to get below the line of OHLE and above the security fences which helps somewhat)

Crossover

Established Member
Is there not a level crossing right by stone station entrance?

I don't recall seeing one. Although the guess would be there has to be something somewhere to gain access to the car park in the middle of the junction.

The two I know of for sure are next to Barlaston and Wedgewood stations respectively (only about 1/2 mile apart)

The Planner

Veteran Member
There is a foot crossing just north of the station. It has a semi-permanent TSR on it due to sighting I think.

dangie

Established Member
There's a little known footbridge at Colwich Junction. Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50000 Map No.128 Derby & Burton-on-Trent grid ref SK011212. Would be really excellent to photograph the junction if it wasn't for the bl**dy overhead wires.

ole man

Yes there is a level crossing next to Stone station, even better there is a public crossing on the line to Norton Bridge.
There are no level crossing on the WCML anymore, the last one at Huddlesford was removed for the TV4 program

ole man

If you come out of Stone station, go towards the level crossing, there is a path on the right just after the new feeder stations, follow that down

windoze11

I cant find it LOL , is it on Kings Ave ??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
found it :) cheers

ole man

There are many farmers crossing between Stafford and Penkridge, though you might be trespassing so i would ask first.

The best place on the WCML to get pics and videos is the 18 step bridge in Coppenhall about a mile from Crewe

Harbon 1

There's a little known footbridge at Colwich Junction. Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50000 Map No.128 Derby & Burton-on-Trent grid ref SK011212. Would be really excellent to photograph the junction if it wasn't for the bl**dy overhead wires.

??? No wires here ;)

1978NWUK

Yes there is a level crossing next to Stone station, even better there is a public crossing on the line to Norton Bridge.
There are no level crossing on the WCML anymore, the last one at Huddlesford was removed for the TV4 program

That's not strictly true, Hest Bank up north is one LC that I know of.

ole man

You are correct forgive my mistake, how could i forget i seen a suicide there

Trog

Established Member
There are also two footpath crossings on the Northampton loop for those who don't want to go so far north.

Status
Not open for further replies.