• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staffordshire Bus News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I was contemplating a trip soon to Burton to see Midland Classic before it is completely subsumed by Diamond Bus.

Early days, I know, but have any buses received Diamond names?

Similar and call me stupid, but I'm thinking of photographing examples of midland classic branding in my town before it's all gone.
Passed two vehicles on the way to Burton station this morning and both were still branded for Midland Classic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G760XRE

One of the ALX400 deckers bought to Potteries for schools contracts, 31782, has recently moved to the withdrawal corner at the depot. Given there is surplus deckers at Potteries currently I doubt a replacement will be needed for September. In contrast, the two ex Worcester ALX400's have seen almost daily front line service over the school holidays, including interurban work on the 101, despite being 21 years young.

DD12

When you say surplus G760XRE are you counting the 5 x 63 reg Enviro 400s ex Weston ? -- only one of these has been repainted so far (according to bustimes.org it's not yet in service at Potteries).

- I read a long time ago that some B7TLs were to depart to South Wales, but that hasn't happened (yet),

and I read that Potteries was to get something-like 12 "new" euro6 'deckers once road and priority improvements were made in the centre of Stoke.

Also, some time ago, "we were told" on the MidlandRed.net forum that Worcester's DDs would get repaints, but there's no sign of that happening (yet) --

the "link" being that it's reported on the same forum that our MD Nigel Eggleton is to retire, and that Ian Humphries is taking over with "immediate effect".

IF that is true, any plans that Nigel may have had MIGHT get put on hold or changed.

(Additionally, the Worcester operation is due to be transferred to the new Bristol region).

Also, - on the wmbusphotos forum, it's suggested that up to 5 vehicles MAY become surplus at Leicester with service revisions soon.

-- Possibly an interesting time ahead for those of us interested in Grouble-Greckers !!

Simon75

On Moderation
One of the bosses of The Potteries, has said on Facebook new Streetdecks are due (not sure how many), although other sources have said 2nd hand Streetdecks from Leicester or Olive Grove (Sheffield, )

G760XRE

When you say surplus G760XRE are you counting the 5 x 63 reg Enviro 400s ex Weston ? -- only one of these has been repainted so far (according to bustimes.org it's not yet in service at Potteries).

- I read a long time ago that some B7TLs were to depart to South Wales, but that hasn't happened (yet),

and I read that Potteries was to get something-like 12 "new" euro6 'deckers once road and priority improvements were made in the centre of Stoke.

Also, some time ago, "we were told" on the MidlandRed.net forum that Worcester's DDs would get repaints, but there's no sign of that happening (yet) --

the "link" being that it's reported on the same forum that our MD Nigel Eggleton is to retire, and that Ian Humphries is taking over with "immediate effect".

IF that is true, any plans that Nigel may have had MIGHT get put on hold or changed.

(Additionally, the Worcester operation is due to be transferred to the new Bristol region).

Also, - on the wmbusphotos forum, it's suggested that up to 5 vehicles MAY become surplus at Leicester with service revisions soon.

-- Possibly an interesting time ahead for those of us interested in Grouble-Greckers !!
I wasn't counting the ex Weston E400's for that exact reason, as my understanding is the same that they would replace 37156-60. That said, 37158 is shown as withdrawn on bus times with engine failure now so who knows!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
One of the bosses of The Potteries, has said on Facebook new Streetdecks are due (not sure how many), although other sources have said 2nd hand Streetdecks from Leicester or Olive Grove (Sheffield, )
'New' has become a very misused word. New to The Potteries or new to anyone?

A bit like 'investment' which ought to mean 'better than before' rather than mere 'replacement like for like' which is maintenance. For example, replacing worn seat coverings is not an investment. Upgrading from fabric to leather is an investment. Or replacing single deckers with double deckers is an investment, replacing single decker for single decker is maintenance.

Simon75

On Moderation
The First Potteries Omicities (including the refurbishment ones are due for withdrawal by November (source Facebook Post, by an employee )

M60lad

With the Omnicities planning on being withdrawn what's going to replace them on 16 & 101 services?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
D & G make changes to a number of their bus services at the beginning of September. I haven't looked at the details yet, information can be found on their website - timetable by timetable.

Also some First Potteries changes from 25 September:
Service numberstatuseffectiveeffectiveeffective
32 (Kingfisher X32)Cancelled25-Sep
3 (3A)Variation05-Sep04-Sep25-Sep
4 (4A, 4E)Variation05-Sep25-Sep
6 (6A, 6C)Variation25-Sep
7 (7A)Variation25-Sep
8 (98)Variation25-Sep
11 (11B)Variation05-Sep25-Sep
18Variation25-Sep
21Registered25-Sep
22Variation25-Sep
23 (23a)Variation05-Sep25-Sep
25Variation25-Sep
37Variation25-Sep
72 (72A)Cancelled25-Sep
99 (98)Variation25-Sep
101Variation05-Sep25-Sep

With the Omnicities planning on being withdrawn what's going to replace them on 16 & 101 services?
I guess they'll have some spare buses with the withdrawal of the 72 and Kingfisher.
PS I assume you mean the 18.

Last edited:

Established Member
D & G make changes to a number of their bus services at the beginning of September. I haven't looked at the details yet, information can be found on their website - timetable by timetable.

7 (7A)Variation25-Sep
8 (98)Variation25-Sep
18Variation25-Sep
21Registered25-Sep
22Variation25-Sep
25Variation25-Sep
37Variation25-Sep
72 (72A)Cancelled25-Sep
99 (98)Variation25-Sep
101Variation05-Sep25-Sep

I guess they'll have some spare buses with the withdrawal of the 72 and Kingfisher.
Where did you find out about the 32 being withdrawn? Can't see anything on the registrations on bus times or first potteries website.

G760XRE

7 (7A)Variation25-Sep
8 (98)Variation25-Sep
18Variation25-Sep
21Registered25-Sep
22Variation25-Sep
25Variation25-Sep
37Variation25-Sep
72 (72A)Cancelled25-Sep
99 (98)Variation25-Sep
101Variation05-Sep25-Sep

Wow, that's essentially the whole First Potteries network that's being either amended or withdrawn. It did always strike me that there being both D&G and First operating (broadly speaking) on the 32/KF and 72 corridors would unlikely remain unsustainable post covid support removal. There has been much chatter of the 18 going in recent months but that remains I see.

With such an extensive overhaul of services who knows how many of the outgoing Omnicities will require replacing, will become clear when the details get released I guess. Surprised they're going now, thought they'd try and squeeze a year or two more out of the refurbishment costs spent on them not all that long ago. I for one will be sad to see them depart and it will be odd not having them on the Hanley to Stafford corridor for the 1st time since 2004.
As was mentioned, any required replacements are likely to be some of the displaced Leicester vehicles, probably 2013 Streetlites at a guess. I do wonder if First will also be interested in some/all of the ex Bournemouth Yellow Bus Streetlites acquired by Ensign, to help retire older single deck stock group wide - meaning some of these could end up at Potteries if so.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Where did you find out about the 32 being withdrawn? Can't see anything on the registrations on bus times or first potteries website.
The bare bones are on the Traffic Commissioner / VOSA bit of .gov.uk here: find local bus services.
It's not exactly user friendly - not being sortable by route, or alteration date or whatever. Information for an operator appears in frustratingly random order. Basically you have to know where to look in order to find anything!

The final three services haven't operated for some years, yet they remain registered. A very common problem with the data.

Registration numberService number
PD0000003/1683 (3A)
PD0000003/1724 (4A, 4E)
PD0000003/186 (6A, 6C)
PD0000003/1557 (7A)
PD0000003/1378 (98)
PD0000003/18011 (11B)
PD0000003/4618
PD0000003/3821
PD0000003/2022
PD0000003/2123 (23a)
PD0000003/17825
PD0000003/5032 (Kingfisher X32)
PD0000003/16237
PD0000003/15472 (72A)
PD0000003/3399 (98)
PD0000003/48101
PD0000003/183PC5
PD0000003/184PC6
PD0000003/185PC7
PD0000003/186PC8
PD0000003/187PC9
PD0000003/166B1
Registration numberService number
PD0000003/1699 (29, 99, 9A)
PD0000003/167X38
PD0000003/15836A (36B, 36C, 36D, 36E, 36F)

Wow, that's essentially the whole First Potteries network that's being either amended or withdrawn. It did always strike me that there being both D&G and First operating (broadly speaking) on the 32/KF and 72 corridors would unlikely remain unsustainable post covid support removal. There has been much chatter of the 18 going in recent months but that remains I see.
It is the whole commercial public network as the 21 is also a variation but has been processed by the Traffic Commissioner so returns to 'registered' rather than 'variation', at least I think that's how it works.

There is no indication of course of how substantial those 'variations' may be. It could simply be a two minute change to a single journey. Similarly the 72 and Kingfisher could be 'withdrawals as a negotiating ploy' or an already agreed replacement by another operator (as happened with the 5) or a new operator will be sought (commercial or tendered) in due course. Again that may be to a similar or an inferior timetable as per the 5.

I recall the service from Newcastle to Clayton (Stumps) being every 5 minutes, currently every 15 minutes, soon to be every 30 minutes. Similarly the 32 was traditionally every 30 minutes Hanley to Cheade (or Tean), was upped to 20 minutes for some years (Overground?), dropped to 30 minutes then, had First got their way, it would have been hourly. D & G do not serve Kingsley / Kingsley Holt with their 32X service.

Those with luxury cars making decisions seem to regard that as entirely satisfactory for the peasants. If you just miss one 30 minutes is a long wait, probably longer than your actual journey on the bus.

Of note is the withdrawal of the long-standing Hanley to Buxton service by D & G. Imminently you will have to take a 16 Hanley to Leek (or first 18) and change to a revised and reduced 108 service there - 6 days a week as currently happens on Saturdays. No Sunday service at all.

Last edited:

Simon75

On Moderation
Of note is the withdrawal of the long-standing Hanley to Buxton service by D & G. Imminently you will have to take a 16 Hanley to Leek (or first 18) and change to a revised and reduced 108 service there - 6 days a week as currently happens on Saturdays. No Sunday service at all.
Ashbourne already have a direct service Buxton, can't see the point of the 108 extension to Buxton

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Ashbourne already have a direct service Buxton, can't see the point of the 108 extension to Buxton
I don't think the purpose of the arrangement is to provide a new through service of benefit to the public, even if it was from Waterhouses to Blackshaw Moor (intermediate points on both halves of the route) rather than end to end.

It is operationally convenient. As a cynic it justifies a reduction in the 108 by allocating some of its current resources to the Leek - Buxton section. Thus not costing anything extra to save that service. The fact that both halves of the service are now much less attractive and it leaves the North Staffordshire conurbation without a direct bus to the Peak District is neither here nor there. I remember standing loads leaving Hanley on the old X18 / X23 for a day trip to Buxton - and that was before it was free ENCTS travel.

Simon75

On Moderation
There is no indication of course of how substantial those 'variations' may be. It could simply be a two minute change to a single journey. Similarly the 72 and Kingfisher could be 'withdrawals as a negotiating ploy' or an already agreed replacement by another operator (as happened with the 5) or a new operator will be sought (commercial or tendered) in due course. Again that may be to a similar or an inferior timetable as per the 5.
The 7272A will be replaced by extending the 99/98 to Clayton
(Source Facebook page)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The 7272A will be replaced by extending the 99/98 to Clayton
(Source Facebook page)
Which is how it was a while ago, before that they were separate services. Round and round re-inventing the wheel! In practice many services are joined operationally anyway, so delays in say Tunstall already impact on what look like free-standing services from Newcastle to Clayton.

It did occur to me that some of the changes, within Stoke-on-Trent at least, ought to be positive with the money awarded by the government through the BSIP (bus service improvement plan). Haven't heard anything about that since the announcement earlier in the year.

G760XRE

Which is how it was a while ago, before that they were separate services. Round and round re-inventing the wheel! In practice many services are joined operationally anyway, so delays in say Tunstall already impact on what look like free-standing services from Newcastle to Clayton.

It did occur to me that some of the changes, within Stoke-on-Trent at least, ought to be positive with the money awarded by the government through the BSIP (bus service improvement plan). Haven't heard anything about that since the announcement earlier in the year.
True for many Services in the Potteries network, but the 72/72a currently isn't interworked (except Sundays where its interworked with the 11 and 18).
I wonder if these latest set of changes will finally reveal the "new look coming soon" on the large amount of orange Streetlites working the 3/3A/4/4A group of services. its only been a mere 9 months since this livery first appeared (on 63100).....

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I wonder if these latest set of changes will finally reveal the "new look coming soon" on the large amount of orange Streetlites working the 3/3A/4/4A group of services. its only been a mere 9 months since this livery first appeared (on 63100).....
Like so many initiatives nowadays. Launched in a blaze of publicity, people get their happy mugs in the paper, then lose interest. Move onto the next 'good news' marketing ploy. Delivery is in the detail, the publicity hungry don't do detail, just soundbites and headlines. No-one follows it up to ensure full implementation.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I see that Chaserider have capitulated on the Walsall - Cannock route from 6th September.
The No 2 has disappeared and the No 1 from Huntington will be truncated at Great Wyrley. This means the only bus service between Cannock and Walsall is the NXWM X51.
Guess Arriva selling out to Chaserider simply delayed the inevitable.

bunty0657

Like so many initiatives nowadays. Launched in a blaze of publicity, people get their happy mugs in the paper, then lose interest. Move onto the next 'good news' marketing ploy. Delivery is in the detail, the publicity hungry don't do detail, just soundbites and headlines. No-one follows it up to ensure full implementation.
Not a single part of this post is correct. It's a shame that the usual glass half empty merchants elect to spread such falsehoods. For the record:
  1. The new identity has not been 'launched'.
  2. The refurbishment programme is not yet complete. Had you seen one of the buses in question you would appreciate that the work is not a lick of paint and a quick tidy. It is a heavy refurbishment that take around a month per bus, hence the length of time being taken.
  3. Designs for the permanent vinyls have been created and the vinyls are in the process of being produced. When a suitable number of buses have received them, the new brand will be launched.
  4. You're not able to comment on delivery or follow-up for the abover reasons.

Statto

Established Member
I've often felt the First Potteries 3A, 4A should be merged into a circular, maybe 3A, & 3C, or 4A, 4C, or if inclined 34A, & 34C, given i think the 3A becomes a 4A anyway, & vice versa.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Not a single part of this post is correct. It's a shame that the usual glass half empty merchants elect to spread such falsehoods. For the record:
  2. The refurbishment programme is not yet complete. Had you seen one of the buses in question you would appreciate that the work is not a lick of paint and a quick tidy. It is a heavy refurbishment that take around a month per bus, hence the length of time being taken.
  3. Designs for the permanent vinyls have been created and the vinyls are in the process of being produced. When a suitable number of buses have received them, the new brand will be launched.
Welcome to the forum!
I guess you won't get beyond 10 posts if you are so easily offended by views different to your own.

I do seem to recall photographs and text, featuring Mr Eggleton inside the buses in question with their Minton Tile floors etc. Was that not a 'launch'. Or just a teaser? In which case stop teasing and get on with it.
The programme has been 'running' for nine months. How many buses are to be done, how many had been done nine months ago, how many have been done in the interim, what is the programme / timescale for completion?
This is a free country, I will comment as I see fit. You may agree or disagree.

James101

Whether not the Streetlite refurb programme is going to plan within First or not is not really relevant. What is important is that, to the customer, the project looks bungled.

Way back in February the buses starting hitting the road and they looked striking. That was the moment to be noticed, potential customers clocked the buses look different, cool even. They also went ahead with trade & local press releases to gain attention. The trouble is the whole thing was not quite finished. That moment has passed now. When they finally get stickered up, no-one will notice. Joe Bloggs noticed when their local bus was suddenly a vibrant orange, it was just odd it didn't say who operated it or where it went. Joe Bloggs won't bat an eyelid when the 'half-dressed' vinyl is switched for 'Mainline' vinyl as the moment has passed.

I'm not totally criticising First, at least it something. It just seems half-hearted. Maybe they'll get the results they hoped for in the long term. The Leek Link & Kingfisher brands were completed in one go and they turned out to be somewhat of a kiss of death for both routes so maybe the Mainline will fair better. I'd still like to see the accountant who singed off the Omni refurbs based on a 2 year life before withdrawal.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
LOL

I love a search engine.
The buses are scheduled to be completed by mid-April and an official launch is being planned for 12 April outside Hanley bus station.
from
Mainline livery returns to the Potteries with a jazzy new Minton flooring design

Mainline livery returns to the Potteries with a jazzy new Minton flooring design​

10 February 2022
  • Collaboration between, First Potteries, Best Impressions, Altro and Bus and Coach World
  • 25 buses being branded in a new livery, interior refurbishment and new Minton flooring.
  • Buses will run on services 3 & 4 via Hanley to Burslem, Kidsgrove and Tunstall.
The coming together of four organisations with experience, ambition and a vision to introduce a new flooring design has exceeded all expectations in the Potteries. There will be 25, 11.5 metre Streetlite single deck buses showcasing the design, with a full interior refurbishment and shiny new paint finish to the exterior. The buses are scheduled to be completed by mid-April and an official launch is being planned for 12 April outside Hanley bus station.

Once all 25 buses have been completed they will be running on routes 3 & 4 serving local communities in Hanley, Burslem, Kidsgrove and Tunstall.
The initial idea was brought about through a conversation with Ray Stenning of Best Impressions and local First Potteries MD Nigel Eggleton before getting Altro and Bus and Coach World involved. The complex flooring design was a challenge to produce and fit but through the close collaboration of all involved and a special mention to Billy Greenwood, who fitted the flooring at Bus and Coach World, the end result is a statement and perfect tribute to the Minton legacy from years gone by in the Potteries area.

Nigel Eggleton, Managing Director at First Potteries (in main picture) said;” I am really pleased with the new livery and floor design and I am sure it will be very well received by our customers across the Potteries area.
“This project is a great example of how when you pull on the experience, ideas and industry knowledge to produce something a little bit different, you can achieve great things. I want to thank Ray and the teams at Altro and Bus and Coach World for there commitment and dedication in delivering a quality finish that we can now showcase to the residents of the Potteries who I am sure will be proud of their new bus offering”

David Brailsford, New product introduction manager at Altro said:
“When Ray Stenning of Best Impressions approached us to discuss the designs for the flooring on the First Potteries Bus project we were thrilled.
"To be involved in such an exciting development to create unique vehicles that reflect the heritage of the Potteries was an amazing opportunity and a great chance to showcase the Altro Transflor Metris Custom printed flooring. We were able to replicate Ray’s designs and bring them to life in digitally printed flooring. Working closely with the First Bus, Best Impressions, and the installation team from Bus and Coach World, the designs came together to support the creation of a unique and stunning fleet of vehicles that really put the Potteries on the map”

Rob Hilton of Bus and Coach World said:
"This was a great project to work on and certainly a first in relation to the floor design. I am really pleased with the trim on the seats and colour coordination which really compliments the Minton floor design.

Ray Stenning of Best Impressions said;
"Local bus services are exactly that – local, bespoke and with an artisan bent. Synergy with and tribute to local energies, character and zeitgeist can bring relevance, meaning and pride, encouraging ownership and use. So it was entirely appropriate to pay tribute of the great tile-making traditions of the area and, using modern technologies, recreate a Minton style tile floor for these buses that run right through the heart of the Potteries towns.

"Inspired by these iconic patterns and working with the expert team at Altro, who were keen to make sure our designs not only looked ace but were totally practical, this uncannily realistic floor makes a bold statement of local pride by First Potteries for the travelling public of the area. Best Impressions creates desire for bus travel in style, even though people will just walk all over it!"
End

Simon75

On Moderation
I've often felt the First Potteries 3A, 4A should be merged into a circular, maybe 3A, & 3C, or 4A, 4C, or if inclined 34A, & 34C, given i think the 3A becomes a 4A anyway, & vice versa.
Probably as it would confused the locals (doesn't take much)

Status
Not open for further replies.