• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staffordshire Bus News

Status
Not open for further replies.

davehsug

But those vinyls probably took 30 minutes to apply. A full repaint takes at least a week, and probably longer given First’s livery has three separate colours.
Ah vinyls of course. Still not sure why they need to tell me the bus is the wrong colour, after all it's not like they keep buses religiously on their advertised route colours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G760XRE

First Potteries haven't tracked at all today (1st July) on bustimes. Usually when Potteries goes down the likes of First Essex, Worcestershire and a handful of others also go down too. But it's not the case this time. Additionally the 'map' tab for Potteries has also disappeared. Can anyone shed any light?
I have filled out the report issues form on the website.

Established Member
First Potteries haven't tracked at all today (1st July) on bustimes. Usually when Potteries goes down the likes of First Essex, Worcestershire and a handful of others also go down too. But it's not the case this time. Additionally the 'map' tab for Potteries has also disappeared. Can anyone shed any light?
I have filled out the report issues form on the website.
I think the 'map' tab is dependent on buses tracking.

Established Member
Looking at the bus times fleet list for First E400 ex West of England 33830 is now showing in the potteries livery with a slightly different shade of blue and pink to the existing livery. Not found any photos yet.

Ancelljb

Looking at the bus times fleet list for First E400 ex West of England 33830 is now showing in the potteries livery with a slightly different shade of blue and pink to the existing livery. Not found any photos yet.
There are photos on the First Bus Enthusiasts Facebook group. Linked here

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Changes to First Potteries services from 5 September affecting routes 3/3A, 4/4A, 11/11B, 21, 23/23A, 101. Based on bus service registration data picked up by Bustimes.org.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Rotala has purchased Midland Classic http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/rotala/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=182&newsid=1612343

Shame as they were genuinely a very good business and whilst Rotala are much improved, they aren't a patch on MC. It's a good purchase for Rotala and will be much more successful than the Johnsons one.

Rotala (AIM: ROL.L), an operator of bus routes in the UK for businesses, local authorities and the general public, is pleased to announce the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Midland Classic Limited ("Midland"), the principal bus operator in Burton-upon-Trent (the "Acquisition"). Midland has been acquired for a total cash consideration of £2 million. In addition, on completion, Rotala has paid approximately £577,000 in cash to one of Midland's shareholders to repay an existing loan of the same sum.

In the year ended 31 July 2021, the most recent financial year for which figures are available, Midland had unaudited revenues of approximately £5.6 million (2020: £5.2 million) and a profit before tax of £2,000 (2020: £621,000). At 31 July 2021, Midland had unaudited net assets of approximately £1.3 million (31 July 2020: £1.3 million), including a freehold property with a net book value of £956,000 and a passenger carrying vehicle fleet with a net book value of £2.1 million. Hire purchase debt of approximately £900,000 was being used to finance this vehicle fleet, which Rotala has assumed on completion of the Acquisition. On this basis, the Acquisition is expected to generate approximately £750,000 of positive goodwill, including stamp duty and transaction costs.

Midland operates 60 vehicles from its freehold depot in Burton-upon-Trent and employs approximately 110 staff. It is the principal bus operator in Burton-upon-Trent, from where it provides bus services to other nearby towns such as Uttoxeter, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Lichfield. The Acquisition represents an extension of the Group's business to a new territory in the East Midlands from which further growth will be targeted. Operationally, Midland (which will immediately be renamed Diamond Bus (East Midlands) Limited) will be part of Rotala's Midlands division and will be controlled from the Company's headquarters at Tividale, Oldbury.

The Board does not expect that the Acquisition will have a material impact on earnings in the Company's current financial year ending 30 November 2022. The consideration was funded using the Group's existing debt facilities. As with the other acquisitions which the Company has made recently, Midland will adopt the Group's centralised IT systems covering such matters as accounting, purchasing, stock control and payroll. These integration steps are expected to have been fully implemented by 30 November 2022. The Directors believe that, following these steps and the continuing slow, but steady recovery in bus passenger numbers throughout England, the Acquisition will have a beneficial effect on the Company's future earnings.

Simon Dunn, Chief Executive of Rotala, commented: -

"Midland Classic is a sizeable well-established business in an attractive bus territory. It represents the entry by Rotala into the East Midlands which is a new market for the Group. However, at the same time, geographically it is adjacent to our existing operations in the West Midlands and so easily managed from there. The business also has its own freehold depot from which we will look to further expand Rotala's services as the recovery in passenger numbers post-COVID continues."

Established Member
Changes to First Potteries services from 5 September affecting routes 3/3A, 4/4A, 11/11B, 21, 23/23A, 101. Based on bus service registration data picked up by Bustimes.org.
Is the 23A coming back as I didn't think it exists any more?

All of between 63100 and 63175 are now showing as being repainted for the 3's and 4's. Can't be long before the full branding is reviled now.

Rotala has purchased Midland Classic http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/rotala/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=182&newsid=1612343

Shame as they were genuinely a very good business and whilst Rotala are much improved, they aren't a patch on MC. It's a good purchase for Rotala and will be much more successful than the Johnsons one.
Well this is a surprise. As you say it is a shame as living near to Burton I have seen the growth over the last 10 years just a few routes to the take over of Arriva becoming the main operator and I would say improving the services around Burton. I would hate for this to be undone as I haven't heard great views about Rotala/Dimond Bus.

Tubs

I live in Ashby and while I wish there were more buses (only 4 services at the moment, lots of now disused bus stops) Midland Classic are pretty decent. Never knew who Rotala or Diamond buses were until now. Are they any good and do I need to be worried about the service going down the drain/prices going up/routes being cancelled?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Well this is a surprise. As you say it is a shame as living near to Burton I have seen the growth over the last 10 years just a few routes to the take over of Arriva becoming the main operator and I would say improving the services around Burton. I would hate for this to be undone as I haven't heard great views about Rotala/Dimond Bus.
Has the overall market increased in Burton or just Midland Classic expanded whilst others declined by a greater amount, that is, a net decline in routes / frequency / buses in use?

Re the 23A, I just quoted the information taken from the Traffic Commissioner data, which is, I know, pretty shambolic.
Operating between Hanley Bus Station and Longton, Interchange given service number 23 / 23a effective from 05 September 2022. To amend Timetable.

Established Member
I live in Ashby and while I wish there were more buses (only 4 services at the moment, lots of now disused bus stops) midland classic are pretty decent. Never knew who rotala or diamond buses were until now. Are they any good and do I need to be worried about the service going down the drain/prices going up/routes being cancelled?
All I know is that Diamond Buses are a large operator in the West Midlands and North West (Manchester).

Has the overall market increased in Burton or just Midland Classic expanded whilst others declined by a greater amount, that is, a net decline in routes / frequency / buses in use?

Re the 23A, I just quoted the information taken from the Traffic Commissioner data, which is, I know, pretty shambolic.
I think there is a good market in Burton on certain routes. Following one of the 401's this morning from Tutbury it had a good load and back in May when I went had a day out on some routes they also had decent loads. Yes there has been cuts in places like the 4 halved to hourly, Sunday buses on the 401 and 812 (now 12) gone as well as route 2 on the Horninglow side of town while the Edge Hill half is now every half hour. Some of the cuts have been evened out by changes to other routes and creating corridors like the loop on the 8/9 in Horninglow replacing route 2 and route 6 replacing the 1 via Eton Park enabling the 15 min corridors into Town to be kept during the day. There has also been some increases in frequency like the 10 doubling to half hourly, 9 extending to the Airport and then doubling to half hourly as far as Ashby and also the new 12E to Lichfield in the mornings and evenings.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I live in Ashby and while I wish there were more buses (only 4 services at the moment, lots of now disused bus stops) midland classic are pretty decent. Never knew who rotala or diamond buses were until now. Are they any good and do I need to be worried about the service going down the drain/prices going up/routes being cancelled?
Diamond (Rotala) are often considered to be relatively poor, wildly different to Midland Classic.
A great pity.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Rotala/Diamond can be good or bad, like every firm. It depends on exactly where you are and the management. Diamond North West seems to be quite good. Keeps people updated and seems to run relatively well. Redditch Depot on the other hand is a shambles. Buses run when they want and buses are often of a low quality.

I think in the past, Rotala had a bad reputation but especially now with Preston and North West areas, they are turning things around and can, when they want to, do a very good job.

Tubs

Just hope they open up more routes in Ashby if I'm being honest. There are 3 unused bus stops on my estate then a few more on the way into town and a few more in Ashby itself. One still has Stevenson's branding!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Just hope they open up more routes in Ashby if I'm being honest. There are 3 unused bus stops on my estate then a few more on the way into town and a few more in Ashby itself. One still has Stevenson's branding!
Given the current pressures facing the industry, any new route is highly unlikely unfortunately.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To build on @markymark2000's post, I've travelled on quite a number of Rotala/Diamond operations. To give a potted history, the Dunn family sold their Dunn Line operations to Veolia and after the covenants on that sale expired, Simon Dunn (and dad Bob) went back into business. They purchased Zaks and North Birmingham Busways (the latter was a superb firm) and then, from the purchase of Birmingham Coach Co/Go West Midlands, they have followed a policy of growth by acquisition. That was helped by some of First's fire sales in Redditch/Kidderminster and later, Bolton, the enforced divestment of Preston Bus by Stagecoach, and the in/out policy of National Express in Surrey/London. There was also a raft of smaller purchases in the North West and West Midlands.

The operations were characterised by a shoddy approach. Some rather woeful driving standards, poor quality service, elderly fleet and a raft of liveries, and this was especially so in their Worcestershire operations where they had two public hearings with sanctions from the Traffic Commissioner. The takeover of First's Bolton operations was rather fraught with lots of cancellations as drivers voted with their feet.

In all fairness to Rotala, they are much improved. The website is pretty good and the revised livery is much better. The whole presentation of the fleet is a lot better; as a firm they are maturing. However, the operation has grown by acquisition; I struggle to recall much in the way of organic growth. Also, the fleet is pretty basic. Whilst they have invested in new vehicles, these tend to be very standard Wright Streetlites or Streetdecks or Mellor Stratas - very much poverty spec with no added extras like USBs until the last couple of years.

So the upshot is that they aren't a bad firm but sadly, they don't have the standards of Midland Classic in terms of presentation, operation nor marketing. I'd not expect fare increases but you can expect some rationalisation of lesser routes.

nesw

I believe that Julian Peddle had a shareholding in Midland Classic (together with D&G, Centrebus, possibly also of interest to Rotala?) Given he’s 68 years old, he might well be reducing his portfolio; the business would no doubt have had more value pre-Covid.

As for Rotala, I mentioned in another thread that their directors other than Simon Dunn are all of retirement age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon75

On Moderation
J
I believe that Julian Peddle had a shareholding in Midland Classic (together with D&G, Centrebus, possibly also of interest to Rotala?) Given he’s 68 years old, he might well be reducing his portfolio; the business would no doubt have had more value pre-Covid.

As for Rotala, I mentioned in another thread that their directors other than Simon Dunn are all of retirement age.
Julian Peddle owns Centrebus, which D&G is part of . High Peak is jointly owned Centrebus and Wellglade
He owns small shares in Midland Classic and Select Buses

Established Member
Staffordshire live article on the sale of Midland Classic.

Burton bus firm Midland Classic is sold​

Town's buses are to be re-painted after being snapped up by another coach firm

Bus operator Rotala has snapped up Burton coach business Midland Classic, which runs bus services across Burton and East Staffordshire. Midland Classic operates 60 vehicles from its depot and is the principle bus operator in Burton. It employs approximately 110 staff and also provides bus services to other nearby towns such as Swadlincote, Uttoxeter, Ashby, Alrewas, Tutbury and Lichfield.

Following the acquisition, which was completed yesterday August 3, Midland Classic will be re-named Diamond Bus (East Midlands) Ltd and the current yellow and red buses will be re-painted Rotala's blue colours. All bus services will begin to operate under the existing Diamond Bus brand of Rotala.
Local bus operations will continue as they are currently with no immediate changes to routes or timetables, said a spokesman for Rotala. "Initially for the launch period of these new services, tickets will be available to purchase onboard from bus drivers using either cash or contactless payment and M-tickets purchased via the My Trip app will continue to be available and valid as normal, with a push for M-tickets for the Burton area available on the Diamond Bus App very soon," said a spokesman.

James Boddice, managing director and majority shareholder of Midland Classic, said: "After 17 years of successful independent bus operation during which time the company has grown, including taking over the Arriva local garage in 2016, to become the primary operator in and around Burton, after much consideration we have decided to accept an offer from Rotala PLC to take over the business. I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to the success of the company, especially our employees, and wish everyone well for the future."

A worker who answered the phone at Midland Classic, which has its depot in Wetmore Road, told Staffordshire Live: "We knew nothing about the sale until everyone else did when it was published online. All information about what is happening can be found there."
Rotala chief executive Simon Dunn said: "Midland Classic is a sizeable well-established business in an attractive bus territory. It represents the entry by Rotala into the East Midlands, which is a new market for the group.

"However, at the same time, geographically it is adjacent to our existing operations in the West Midlands and so easily managed from there. The business also has its own freehold depot from which we will look to further expand Rotala's services as the recovery in passenger numbers post-covid continues."
Mr Dunn has confirmed that Mr Boddice is to leave the business. The former Midland Classic vehicles will be repainted into Diamond Bus’s blue livery, a subsidiary branch of Rotala.

Purchase of Midland Classic represents further growth for Rotala’s business in the Midlands. Early in 2022 it agreed to purchase the bus business and certain assets of Claribel Coaches, while in April it agreed to acquire the Excelbus operation of Johnsons Coach and Bus Travel.

Midland Classic was founded by James Boddice in 2005, and grew significantly in 2016 with the purchase of Arriva’s operations in Burton. In 2019, it was recognised by a Transport Focus passenger survey as the third-best bus operator in the UK. From July 31, 2020 to July 31, 2021, Midland Classic had unaudited revenues of approximately £5.6 million and pre-tax profits of just £2,000. It has been acquired for around £2 million.

broadwater

I was contemplating a trip soon to Burton to see Midland Classic before it is completely subsumed by Diamond Bus.

Early days, I know, but have any buses received Diamond names?

Tubs

I was contemplating a trip soon to Burton to see Midland Classic before it is completely subsumed by Diamond Bus.

Early days, I know, but have any buses received Diamond names?
Similar and call me stupid, but I'm thinking of photographing examples of midland classic branding in my town before it's all gone.

Mugby

Established Member
Midland Classic is/was instantly recognisable in Burton with their distinctive livery (with a nod to Stevensons!) their high profile and good presentation of the fleet and publicity etc. I think it's safe to say it was well regarded by Burton folk.

I may be wrong but I can't see Diamond achieving the same status, I think it will be a rather average, dull and bland operation by comparison.

Sad to see the end of Midland Classic but understandable if the proprietor wanted to retire.

SLC001

Never take your health for granted - even at 42 you can develop serious health issues which stop you from doing your job. Given what has happened in Bournemouth, running a bus company in these uncertain times without the financial support of a large company is risky. If someone comes along and makes you an offer it must be tempting. Love of the job will not compensate for the present uncertainties and pressures.

broadwater

Similar and call me stupid, but I'm thinking of photographing examples of midland classic branding in my town before it's all gone
It would be helpful to know if buses still have Midland Classic names before I make a longish trip up to Burton to do the same! Keep us posted please! TIA.

Tubs

It would be helpful to know if buses still have Midland Classic names before I make a longish trip up to Burton to do the same! Keep us posted please! TIA.
Unfortunately I'll only be photographing Ashby as I live there, but I'm in Burton at least one time during the week so I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As there is an existing thread for Midland Classic, could we contain discussion of that operation to this thread:

This avoids any parallel discussion and duplication of information. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.