• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Details should be out end of this week/start of next

The auto generated timetables might appear before then, if you can find them ;)

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Everything went thought back on the 5th/6th January they're going to be as seen.

Folk in Crieff and the surrounding area are kicking up at the Community Council level as Stagecoach haven't even responded to any of the submissions sent in by the public. If they completely put the 15/A back to every hour and completely remove the 15 from St Fillans then they really don't give a damn about local communities and they deserve every negative comment they get.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Folk in Crieff and the surrounding area are kicking up at the Community Council level as Stagecoach haven't even responded to any of the submissions sent in by the public. If they completely put the 15/A back to every hour and completely remove the 15 from St Fillans then they really don't give a damn about local communities and they deserve every negative comment they get.
I think it'd be unreasonable for them to do this.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Are the buses truly full?

Not truly full but almost. In my email that I sent over to them I asked them provide the numbers from when the services were ever hour previously and when it got changed to half hourly. I never got any response to my email submission. Roseanna Cunningham who is the local MSP and various other members of the public have challenged them also on this as they claim they haven't seen the passenger growth.

If they do revert back to hourly it'll be the worst thing they've done in a long time. A trending theme by passengers is the quality of the fleet used in Perth. Leaking seals when it rains and constantly flithy. In my email to them I made the point that if they were to invest in the fleet instead of getting transfers in from Fife which aren't exactly new themselves people might appreciate the services more.

overthewater

Established Member
I just found it odd the Stirling section has been kept as that never been great. The Fleet overall has been poor for a while now, I can understand why, we badly need some extra coaches to fill the gaps. I dread to think what going to happen if we don;t get some proper cast offs.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I just found it odd the Stirling section has been kept as that never been great. The Fleet overall has been poor for a while now, I can understand why, we badly need some extra coaches to fill the gaps. I dread to think what going to happen if we don;t get some proper cast offs.

I wouldn't say coaches are the answer. For the Stirling section, plowing up and down the dual carriageway every hour can't be good on those E300 engines. Also as well, god knows why they put the 15A back to going via the University as it's a complete waste of time.

overthewater

Established Member
This is getting interesting, a new service from Edinburgh to Dundee.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/...aBFesbZkCkGlEbzETwbAPGDJGxtshIs1i_qXXSjVUGxMQ

The service, which will be launched by Ember, is another feather in the city’s cap when it comes to supporting and promoting the use of electric vehicles.

With around 3% of its residents now driving electric vehicles, Dundee is already streets ahead of most UK cities and is home to one of the highest concentration of electric vehicles in Britain. The council switched to electric vehicles in 2011 and since then their vehicles have travelled more than 1.1 million miles on electricity.

And in a further boost to green transport across the city, Ember’s privately-run coach service will be launched in Dundee as the first zero-emission intercity coach service in the UK.

Dundee City Council will be installing an ultra-fast charging point next to the Greenmarket car park, designed for coaches and other commercial vehicles. Ember will use this location – which is just a five minute walk from the train station and the V&A – for charging and as a bus stop for passengers.

Ember takes delivery of the first electric coach – a Yutong TCe12 – at the end of March before its scheduled service launches in early May. The zero emissions coach will travel between Dundee and Edinburgh several times a day for £7.50 each way, and a second coach will be added onto the route in the summer.

Keith is preparing to launch the new electric coach service in May
Keith Bradbury, pictured above, co-founder of Ember, said that he and business partner Pierce Glennie were keen to launch the electric coach service in Scotland, and in Dundee in particular.

Keith explained: “Pierce and I worked together for over five years at a previous company and wanted to launch a business with an environmental focus.

“We wanted something where the technology had reached a tipping point so that it was commercially attractive and could lead to meaningful reductions in emissions.

“Intercity coach services can do exactly this. Due to the high usage of intercity coaches the emissions savings from electrification are large and providing better coach services gives travellers a better alternative to a car – leading to an even bigger impact. The Scottish Government is one of the most progressive when it comes to taking concrete action to reduce carbon emissions. Scotland has committed to achieving net zero emissions five years earlier than the rest of the UK, so it was a great place to launch a business like this.

“Dundee City Council was very supportive of doing something, and its entire agenda on electrification aligns very well with our plans.”

Pierce has launched the new electric coach service with Keith
Keith and Pierce, pictured above, have bought the brand new electric coach and launched the initiative using some private investment and their own savings. It’s been a life-changing venture for the pair, especially Bristol-based Keith who is relocating with his family to Edinburgh (where ember’s head office is based) in the summer.

The first intercity electric coach will be based in Dundee and start carrying passengers to Edinburgh at the beginning of May, with a second coach planned for July. Ember is currently looking to hire drivers in Dundee, and its longer-term plan is to introduce more electric coaches on routes across Scotland before expanding across the UK and further afield.

For those travelling to Edinburgh, for business or pleasure, there are many benefits of hopping aboard the electric coach, as Keith points out. “It will be stopping at several locations en route to Edinburgh, including Perth, serving local residents as well as commuters. At £7.50 one way, the price is significantly cheaper than the train or existing coach option.

“The difference in journey time versus a car or a train is minimal and by booking in advance you will be guaranteed a comfortable seat – even at peak times – so no standing. This is a big one, especially for those who currently travel by train.

“We’re fitting out the coaches with a premium spec. That means we’ve got extra legroom, fast wi-fi, and reclining seats. We want to give people a better experience than they can get anywhere else.

All of these benefits are, of course, on top of the fact that there will be no emissions. It will be the most eco-friendly way of making this journey and that’s something we hope people will be excited about.”

Coach provider Ember is just one partnership Dundee City Council has established in a bid to boost its own electric vehicle infrastructure. The local authority is also working with partners including the university of Dundee, NHS Tayside, Dundee and Angus College and local taxi companies with the aim of having a shared network.

The council aims to convert 20% of all vehicles in Dundee to electric by 2027, which will put the city at the forefront of EV technology not only in the UK, but also in Europe.

*To find out more about Dundee’s electric vehicle vision visit Drive Dundee Electric‘s website. To follow Ember’s progress, visit the website by clicking here.

The new electric coach: the facts
  • The TCe12 is one of the first fully electric zero emission coaches in the UK
  • It was manufactured in China
  • It can carry 49 passengers
  • There are already coaches like it running privately in London and publicly in Paris
  • It has a 281kwh battery which gives a range of 200-250 miles from a full charge
  • It will take less than two hours to charge the TCe12 (using a rapid charger)

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Well the changes are out. What an absolute mess.

Clearly they haven't taken on board any of the responses from the public or concerned MSP and community councils.

Hell mend them when the complaints start coming in.

overthewater

Established Member
Well the changes are out. What an absolute mess.

Clearly they haven't taken on board any of the responses from the public or concerned MSP and community councils.

Hell mend them when the complaints start coming in.

The council could have bolted on extension but its clear there did not want to do that.

Connecting service 115 is available between Comrie and St Fillans at certain times during Monday to Friday daytimes. Full timetable details available at www.pkc.gov.uk. For more information, contact Perth & Kinross Customer Service Centre on 01738 475000 or the Public Transport Unit via email to [email protected]

Some of other changes do raise an eyebrow,

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It would appear Dunfermline are suffering from a shortage of vehicles - a look at the Stagecoach East Scotland Twitter account shows many journeys not operating today.

overthewater

Established Member
Its got even worse, mind you it's been like that for 2 weeks now. on top of that, it has a FM bus aswell, while FM coach at Glenrothes. (FM = Ferrymill)

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Looks like they need to replace the buses on the 3, 5 and 7B.
Not necessarily - they may just be taking the vehicles off of these routes as they operate the most frequently so fewer people will notice the missing buses.

Although, as the 3 and 7B are primarily Versa-operated, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the root cause of the problem.

Never understood why the 60 plate E200s ended up down Carlisle and Inverness to more or less be replaced by Versas, Dunfermline definitely due some new vehicles for the local runs IMO.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Never understood why the 60 plate E200s ended up down Carlisle and Inverness to more or less be replaced by Versas, Dunfermline definitely due some new vehicles for the local runs IMO.
The E200s were replaced, on paper, by Solo SRs.

The town runs in Dunfermline do not make enough profit to suffice brand new vehicles, so will likely be cast offs if anything changes.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
East Scotland HQ - Pitreavie Business Park

However, it's the individual depots who tweet the individual service updates. They're not allowed to reply to tweets.

overthewater

Established Member
What can they say? "Yes our crap buses have given up and we have nothing else?" Where are the 3 spare buses ni deep storage, surely there can be brought back out to help cover this problem? It seems No19 is also effected.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
What can they say? "Yes our crap buses have given up and we have nothing else?" Where are the 3 spare buses ni deep storage, surely there can be brought back out to help cover this problem? It seems No19 is also effected.
16936 has already been brought out of reserve to help with Arbroath shortages

There were 2 diagrams at Arbroath not running yesterday for some time, not advertised on Twitter

overthewater

Established Member
Not having enough coaches to cover isn't helping since you have to throw out two new deckers on X27 and X60.