• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

457, 459 and 461 have already moved up and are at Glenrothes.

I assume these'll be replacing some of the oldest Tridents.

I've noticed a few cancellations have shown up on VOL (Vehicle Operator Licensing) sandwiched among the routine school contract changes. I wonder if more cuts are coming:
Yea they are replacing the trusted Tridents.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedford OB

There will be a big overhaul of Fife school services for the new term. Over eighty routes have now either been deregistered or announced for withdrawal by six operators, Fife Scottish being the latest. No doubt the replacement registrations/possible service revisions will start to drip through as things get finalised.

457, 459 and 461 have already moved up and are at Glenrothes.

I assume these'll be replacing some of the oldest Tridents.

I've noticed a few cancellations have shown up on VOL (Vehicle Operator Licensing) sandwiched among the routine school contract changes. I wonder if more cuts are coming:
Ex Manchester 59 plate one's, MAN variants

mbonwick

Established Member
E400 19621-35 and 15456-63 are coming to east scotland.
15637/9/40-3/57 are also on the way up from SC East.
Given the size of Manchester's cascade pool at the moment (all of 19621-40, plus others), don't be surprised to see more MAN E400s heading up as well.

15637/9/40-3/57 are also on the way up from SC East.
Given the size of Manchester's cascade pool at the moment (all of 19621-40, plus others), don't be surprised to see more MAN E400s heading up as well.
With Inverness new E400 arriving I wonder if they will be Sent down.

roadierway77

So far in west Fife services 20/20A, 83 and 87 are showing up as cancelled, with services 83 and 87 transferring to Bay Travel. Services 1, 2/2A, 3, 4/4A, 5, 6, 7B/7C/7D, 17/17A, 18/18A, 33/33A and 89/89A/89B have reregistered for the 14th August. A number of changes have been registered for Glenrothes and north east Fife as well.

Other apparent changes for west Fife that have showed up on VOL include Stagecoach taking over tendered services 88/88A and 4B/4C from Bay Travel. It also appears that service 84 may be extended to Dunfermline Amazon as the route description has changed. Bay Travel's F6 is currently showing up as cancelled. It may have been cancelled outright with no replacement, however a Stagecoach retender may not have been registered yet.

Source - Vehicle Operator Licensing: https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...0f6477&form-actions[submit]=&page=1&limit=100

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Bay travel has also pick up the No20/A. F6 has been lost to Stagecoach and a replacement has been put thought on the No6 doc. Other changes to other parts of Fife are 8, 28, 31, 37, 38, 39, 41, X51, X58, X60, 91-93 and 95, at least. Service No94 has been lost by Stagecoach and will now transferre to Moffat & Williamson, even more Mellor are coming to Fife. Evening and Sunday 77 have also been lost but to whom?

Legomaster1

So far in west Fife services 20/20A, 83 and 87 are showing up as cancelled, with services 83 and 87 transferring to Bay Travel. Services 1, 2/2A, 3, 4/4A, 5, 6, 7B/7C/7D, 17/17A, 18/18A, 33/33A and 89/89A/89B have reregistered for the 14th August. A number of changes have been registered for Glenrothes and north east Fife as well.

Other apparent changes for west Fife that have showed up on VOL include Stagecoach taking over tendered services 88/88A and 4B/4C from Bay Travel. It also appears that service 84 may be extended to Dunfermline Amazon as the route description has changed. Bay Travel's F6 is currently showing up as cancelled. It may have been cancelled outright with no replacement, however a Stagecoach retender may not have been registered yet.
Where do you find out the re-registrations?

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
If you want to see the rest you have to change the date to 3rd or 4th July. - which is at the left hand side.

Looks like 19150 was destroyed in a fire earlier this week. I think it was an East Scotland bus. Yet another Scottish E400 spontaneously combusting.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Looks like 19150 was destroyed in a fire earlier this week. I think it was an East Scotland bus. Yet another Scottish E400 spontaneously combusting.
Is that the same fire as reported in post #3645 (June 21st) or is this another one?

Stan Drews

Established Member
Is that the same fire as reported in post #3645 (June 21st) or is this another one?
No, this was a separate incident.
A residential street was packed with dense smoke after a Stagecoach bus caught fire in what the firm branded a "technical issue".

The double-decker, understood to be a 33 service, was travelling through Cowdenbeath when it malfunctioned shortly before 3.30pm on Wednesday. A video posted on social media by Fife Jammer Locations showed thick smoke billowing from the rear of the vehicle on Moss Side Road, at its junction with Smith Avenue, as locals looked on.

No injuries were reported during the incident. A number of people speculated that the diesel engine on board the bus had "run away" – a rare occurrence in diesel engines in which extra fuel is unwittingly fed into the engine while it is running, causing it to run above its normal operating limit.

One commenter said: "The engine is taking oil in through turbo inlet.. the engine won't switch off. Instead of running on diesel its running in engine oil, as the turbo spins faster the oil is sucked into engine faster.​

"This is why it's called runaway, because the revs are running away. These buses are automatic so no way to stall it."

The bus caught fire on a residential street in Cowdenbeath

The bus caught fire on a residential street in Cowdenbeath (Image: Fife Jammer Locations)

A local resident said the bus stopped outside her house, adding that the driver had been unable to turn off the engine, backing up the theory that the engine was out of control. Another added: "Will say the fire engine were there within 5 mins of us phoning them, everyone got off the bus safe but was very scary."

Stagecoach was contacted for comment. The firm said earlier on Twitter that a "technical issue" had delayed the 33 service from Cowdenbeath to Kirkcaldy and back.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Jeezo, this is becoming a bit too regular!

The bus, understood to be a 33 service, was passing through Cowdenbeath when it caught fire at around 3.30pm. Footage posted on social media by Fife Jammer Locations showed the incident on Moss Side Road, reports the Daily Record.

No injuries have been reported as of yet. Locals have speculated that the diesel engine on board the bus had 'run away'.

This is a rare occurrence in diesel engines in which extra fuel is unwittingly fed into the engine while it is running, causing it to run above its normal operating limit.

One commenter said: "The engine is taking oil in through turbo inlet.. the engine won't switch off. Instead of running on diesel its running in engine oil, as the turbo spins faster the oil is sucked into engine faster.

"This is why it's called runaway, because the revs are running away. These buses are automatic so no way to stall it."

A local resident said the bus stopped outside her house, adding that the driver had been unable to turn off the engine, backing up the theory that the engine was out of control. Another added: "Will say the fire engine were there within 5 mins of us phoning them, everyone got off the bus safe but was very scary."

roadierway77

Jeezo, this is becoming a bit too regular!
I believe four vehicles have caught fire since November - two from Dunfermline depot. Perhaps suggests overall maintenance is lacking at East Scotland. It certainly doesn't help that buses are regularly being sent out with minor faults and warnings lit up on the dash.

There have been a fair few throughout the country in the last few weeks. One down in Swindon, one up in Scotland and a few in London

overthewater

Established Member
Lets be fair if the were able to switch it off then this wouldn't have happened, and maybe its a design fault?

Mind you how many cars have gone on fire this year? Lets just say within the East Scotland Area more than 4..

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just wondered if somebody could confirm what the situation is with 62004 and 62005? The former appears to have entered service, but doesn’t track, while I’ve yet to see any evidence of the latter having been in use.

Just wondered if somebody could confirm what the situation is with 62004 and 62005? The former appears to have entered service, but doesn’t track, while I’ve yet to see any evidence of the latter having been in use.
Can’t remember where I read this but one of them, probably 62005, is in Dubai with ADL using it for promotional activities there.

Lets be fair if the were able to switch it off then this wouldn't have happened, and maybe its a design fault?

Mind you how many cars have gone on fire this year? Lets just say within the East Scotland Area more than 4..
Can anyone for certain say that it’s only Cummins-Engined buses with Stagecoach that have had this problem?

Cummins engines in buses are notoriously not very good, they seemingly have constant problems where I’ve previously driven buses, maintenance is key though.

I will say that the worst place to be for overall vehicle maintenance is Stagecoach out of the big groups, with a doubt.

roadierway77

The upcoming service changes for August have been formally announced. They are available here, but I've also quoted the content of the article below. No timetables available yet. Much of the changes involve the council contacts swapping between Stagecoach/Bay/Moffat. Other more notable alterations include changes to the Dunfermline town services and the 99 returning to a 7/8min frequency. I believe the '6A' listed below is a renumbering of current service F6.

Service 1: This service will now start and finish at James Street. Revised service 84 will now serve Wellwood and East Baldridge. Service 1 will no longer service Lapwing Drive, this will now be served by revised service 3. Service will operate via Aberdour Road between Linburn Road and Greenshank Drive.

Service 2/2A: Will no longer serve Lapwing Drive which will now be served by revised service 3. Service will operate via Aberdour Road between Linburn Road and Greenshank Drive.

Service 3: Revised route to service Lapwing Drive to replace service 1 & 2/2A.

Service 4: The evening and Sunday service currently operated by Bay Travel will now be operated by Stagecoach East Scotland.

Service 5: Formalising the route change to remove Clunie Road/Shields Road from the route due to our buses being unable to manoeuvre around the junction on Clunie Road/Shields Road due to parked cars.

Service 6: Contracted AM & PM journeys to/from Woodmill High School will no longer operate.

Service 6A: The evening and Sunday service currently operated by Bay Travel will now be operated by Stagecoach East Scotland

Service 7D: Evening & Sunday tender changes. Route to Ferrytoll in the evening revised to operate from Harley Street in Rosyth directly to/from Inverkeithing Rail Station. Some journeys will operate via North Queensferry Ferryhills Road.

Service 8/8A: Additional evening contract journeys.

Service 20/20A: Stagecoach East Scotland will no longer operate this service, the service will be operated by Bay Travel.

Service 28: Slight timetable amendment; the non-school day timetable will now operate all weekdays.

Service 33: Service will no longer operate via Alderston Drive; Alderston Drive will still be served by service 31. This is to improve the reliability of service 33.

Service 37: Slight adjustments in the timetable to improve reliability.

Service 38: Route amended; when leaving Glenrothes bus station service will turn right onto Church Street, Rothes Road then route as it is operating just now. Service will follow the same route in reverse.

Service 39: Slight adjustments in the timetable to improve reliability; service will no longer serve turning circle at Kirkcaldy Asda, but will observe the stops on Dunnikier way.

Service 41: Minor change to the timetable.

Service 77A: Stagecoach East Scotland will no longer operate this service, the service will be operated by Moffat & Williamson.

Service 83: Stagecoach East Scotland will no longer operate this service, the service will be operated by Bay Travel.

Service 84: Service revised and will now operate the following route: Parkneuk, East Baldridge Drive, Wellwood, Dunfermline bus station and Izatt Avenue. This is replacing the 1/1A in Wellwood and East Baldridge drive and the service 83 in Izatt Avenue. Evening and Sundays will run from Dunfermline bus station to Amazon replacing the 87.

Service 87: Stagecoach East Scotland will no longer operate this service; the service will be operated by Bay Travel. Evening & Sundays will be replaced by service 84.

Service 88/88A: This service currently operated by Bay Travel will now be operated by Stagecoach East Scotland.

Service 89: Slight timetable adjustments.

Service 91/91A: Slight timetable adjustments.

Service 93/93A: Slight timetable adjustments.

Service 94/94A/94X: Stagecoach East Scotland will no longer operate this service, the service will be operated by Moffat & Williamson.

Service 95: Slight timetable adjustments during the day, additional evening contract journeys.

Service 98: Service withdrawn.

Service 99/N99: Service 99 frequency increased to operate every 7/8 minutes during the day. Service N99 will be renumbered to 99 and will follow the standard route in Dundee City Centre.

Service X51: Stopping arrangements between Dunfermline bus station and Ferrytoll will change to only serve these stops: Dunfermline bus station, St Leonards Church, St Leonards Asda, Cottage Inn, King Malcolm Hotel, Cypress Grove, Pitreavie Business Park, Rosyth Railway Station, Queens Buildings, Rosyth Crossroads then Ferrytoll.

Service X58: Extra late-night journey.

Service X60: Extra late-night journey.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Can’t remember where I read this but one of them, probably 62005, is in Dubai with ADL using it for promotional activities there.
62005 is indeed the one in Dubai.

Hopefully what the plan is is that the AB1 will eventually be increased in frequency, thus requiring an extra bus on the road, with the other two allowing for spares/in for maintenance etc. I myself had wondered if eventually they may look to extend the route to Halbeath? This seems like a busier stretch of road and an ideal next step. In the years to come either way I could see the 747 being worked into the route. That surely requires so many developments though.

overthewater

Established Member
The plan is to extended it to Dunfermline as part of "Cavforth 2" I think its highly unlikely now the service will see an increased in frequency, but maintain the current 30min service.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The plan is to extended it to Dunfermline as part of "Cavforth 2" I think its highly unlikely now the service will see an increased in frequency, but maintain the current 30min service.
Agree, i can't see there being much point increasing it. Admittedly i've only used the service once however there was only one other passenger and the various other buses i saw weren't exactly busy.
Hopefully what the plan is is that the AB1 will eventually be increased in frequency, thus requiring an extra bus on the road, with the other two allowing for spares/in for maintenance etc. I myself had wondered if eventually they may look to extend the route to Halbeath? This seems like a busier stretch of road and an ideal next step. In the years to come either way I could see the 747 being worked into the route. That surely requires so many developments though.
I had wondered that myself regarding the 747. Perhaps if the trial proves successful a potential future phase would be converting over the 747. With that said i do think the project as a whole is a bit of a pointless exercise.

roadierway77

The AB1 definitely isn't pulling enough passengers for a frequency increase, most services are quite empty - that's both from my observations and those of the staff on board. It's a fairly novel way of travelling to and from Fife though and it's become my route of choice on hot days as the throughflow of air is much better on the 200AVs than the coaches thanks to the openable windows.

If driverless operation or any of the technologies currently used for AB1 were to be further expanded in the future, the 747 would likely be the ideal candidate. Short, fair amount of motorway running, and busy.