• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Manchester discussion

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Doesn't seem to be a Stagecoach Manchester thread, as far as I can see.

Firstly, any ideas of the burnt out E400 in Hyde Road depot? Can spot on it the left on the approach to Piccadilly on the train. Seems to have had a little toasting from the engine at the rear!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreyman

The future Clear Air Zone/Low Emission Zone for Greater Manchester (whenever it happens) - I Have checked - https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/air_zones/compliance and nearly all E400s in the Stagecoach Manchester fleet have been upgraded to Euro 6 -(a handful still to do) but none of the MAN engined batch appear have yet been modified.
Newer E40H 12087 upwards have been upgraded but the early E40H batch 10214-12056 have not been done - too old? Batteries knackered?

Of the E200s the following have been upgraded - 36077, 6 of the '11 reg batch, 5 of the '12 reg batch, 17 of the '62 reg batch, all 4 of the '63 reg batch.
The "system" assumes that everything 14 reg or newer is automatically Euro 6, so I have no idea about '64 reg batch of E200, logically they should have been done?
The same applies to the '65 reg E300s, 27625 is listed as Euro 6 but 27624 is not. All of 27817-27827 (except 27819) are upgraded.
I don't believe any of the Solos have been modified?
The few Versas (Owned by Tfl) I don't know about.

The future Clear Air Zone/Low Emission Zone for Greater Manchester (whenever it happens) - I Have checked - https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/air_zones/compliance and nearly all E400s in the Stagecoach Manchester fleet have been upgraded to Euro 6 -(a handful still to do) but none of the MAN engined batch appear have yet been modified.
Newer E40H 12087 upwards have been upgraded but the early E40H batch 10214-12056 have not been done - too old? Batteries knackered?
Is this 12014 not 10214?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yes new Stockport depot to accommodate an all electric fleet of 170 buses. Depot and buses will transfer to TfGM for franchising out once it starts in that area. Stockport council are funding the depot with Stagecoach design input, Stagecoach will pay the diesel equivalent cost of the buses (about 40% of the cost) while Dft and TFGM are jointly funding the extra cost for battery buses/depot charging infrastructure. Stagecoach will receive back the residual value of their bus investment under the standard asset depreciation curve after about 2 years.

Enviro 400 19408 was on fire at the rear on Princess Parkway this afternoon - just before the M56. I'm guessing it was heading back to Sharston depot at the time given its location. Bustimes suggests this happened just after 2pm. Fire was out when I passed at about 3.30pm but the whole of the rear looks burned out.

Hope no-one was hurt.

M60lad

I think the driver might have noticed something was wrong on their way to Chorlton as it left Manchester in service but for obvious reasons had to radio in as they couldn't make the return journey from Chorlton to Manchester so obviously were told to take the bus back to depot.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It appears as if 84001-84030 go to bed early!

Currently on old faithful 19471 on the 43 from the Airport.

I am of the belief that the Electrics aren't used after 8pm-ish?

M60lad

The reason why the electrics aren't normally used on lates is due to the fact that there's only so much charge in them being fully electric vehicles so they are only allocated to daytime boards so they can get back to depot in the evening so they can be put on charge ready for the next days service.

Tim33160

I am told there is not enough electricity coming into Sharston depot to charge all 33 electric buses at once - if they try to connect any more than 15, the overload breakers trip.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
There's still an enormous amount of 2008/09 E400s in the Stagecoach fleet, which are looked after very well but are getting on in years. I've seen rumours on social media that apparently the 58-reg B9TLs used by First and Go North West are now too old for TFGM, with a few people suggesting they're all coming off immediately at the start of September (which seems highly unlikely but hey ho!), yet nothing about the older E400s at Hyde Road, Sharston and Stockport. Whoever wins the franchise will suddenly have 200 buses which may be too old for Manchester.

All but one of the OU10___ batch of hybrid E400s have been withdrawn quietly over the last year. 12024 (OU10GFX) is the sole survivor from this early batch, I had a journey on it on the 50 from MediaCity to St. Peters Square in May, at not one point did the batteries cut in.

cnjb8

Established Member
There's still an enormous amount of 2008/09 E400s in the Stagecoach fleet, which are looked after very well but are getting on in years. I've seen rumours on social media that apparently the 58-reg B9TLs used by First and Go North West are now too old for TFGM, with a few people suggesting they're all coming off immediately at the start of September (which seems highly unlikely but hey ho!), yet nothing about the older E400s at Hyde Road, Sharston and Stockport. Whoever wins the franchise will suddenly have 200 buses which may be too old for Manchester.

All but one of the OU10___ batch of hybrid E400s have been withdrawn quietly over the last year. 12024 (OU10GFX) is the sole survivor from this early batch, I had a journey on it on the 50 from MediaCity to St. Peters Square in May, at not one point did the batteries cut in.
I think the age limit is 16 years old IIRC

Tim33160

GM Franchising only comes in for Area A Bolton, Wigan and parts of Salford, Bury and north Manchester from 24 Sept 2023.
Stagecoach lose Wigan depot routes, but gain some school bus franchises along with Vision Bus.

Full details of Area A routes are now available :
Full list of routes brought into Bee Network https://tfgm.com/the-bee-network/bus-services
Service changes https://tfgm.com/the-bee-network/bus-service-changes

Go North West and Diamond are accumulating buses for their new franchise requirements - some temporarily until delivery of brand new buses now on order for delivery early in 2024.

Go North West will continue to operate their current services from Queens Road until 24 March 2024, when Area B is activated and Services operating from First Oldham, Stagecoach Middleton and Go North West at Queens Rd depots move to be operated by Stagecoach. Uptil then there is no change to services and buses in Area B.

Similarly Diamond have a number of contracts in Area C (eg X50 150 370 371) which will continue until January 2025

Stagecoach are now started to repaint buses for Area B - with some also being painted for Area A Schools

The final area C starts from 5 January 2025.

Hope this helps!

I think the age limit is 16 years old IIRC
The age limit is 15 years for the 'traditional' TfGM tendered services (i.e. not Bee Network). It's the same for TfGM school contracts, however if a bus reaches its 15th birthday in the middle of the academic year it can continue to be used on school services by the same operator until the start of the summer holidays.

Aaron Ashton

There are rumours Cumbria & North Lancashire are gaining some 19xxx E400s either from Manchester division or further South, anybody heard any rumours if it's true and if so, any idea which ones are going to transfer?

GCH100

There are rumours Cumbria & North Lancashire are gaining some 19xxx E400s either from Manchester division or further South, anybody heard any rumours if it's true and if so, any idea which ones are going to transfer?
Possibly examples currently allocated to Wigan as they become redundant after use on 23rd September.

Tim33160

I am hearing that Stagecoach schools unit at Little Hulton is not yet operational with allocated buses working from Hyde Road??
any comments??

Leyland Bus

I am hearing that Stagecoach schools unit at Little Hulton is not yet operational with allocated buses working from Hyde Road??
any comments??
Had heard they were running out of Stockport garage but yeah, the new garage isn't operational yet.

Simon75

On Moderation

Is Stockport still having a new depot to replace the current one. If so what will happen the current site at Daw Bank ?

andrewbowden

Is Stockport still having a new depot to replace the current one. If so what will happen the current site at Daw Bank ?
No idea if it's being replaced. But given the centre of Stockport is a regeneration hotspot right now, you can pretty much guarantee that if the site became vacant, it would be used for housing.

Leyland Bus

No idea if it's being replaced. But given the centre of Stockport is a regeneration hotspot right now, you can pretty much guarantee that if the site became vacant, it would be used for housing.
It's being demolished and replaced with an electric depot. That's been on the cards for a while now.

MasterSpenny

According to buslistsontheweb.co.uk, 3 new Enviro 400 MMCs have been recorded:
11732 - YX73OXL
11734 - YX73OXN
11735 - YX73OXP

Are these for the non franchised services, given some Stagecoach Manchester buses are being repainted into the Bee Network livery?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Do contributors feel that the standard of Stagecoach buses in the Stockport area are nornally of the required standatd? Will the 368 ever become the 369 again and offer Manchester Airport connections?

A query...did the 368 ever go through to Altrincham many years ago?

M60lad

I think many years ago 368 did maybe briefly ran through to Altrincham, I'm not to sure how long for though so at the time you would have had 11, 368, 370 & 371 services all running Stockport-Altrincham via various routes.

Then there was 369 which always ran Airport-Stockport.

Djb1

Do contributors feel that the standard of Stagecoach buses in the Stockport area are nornally of the required standatd? Will the 368 ever become the 369 again and offer Manchester Airport connections?

A query...did the 368 ever go through to Altrincham many years ago?
The 368 ran to Altrincham briefly at de-reg and then between 1992-96. In most of tue years between the 3 ran through to Altrincham, albeit via the convoluted 19 route between Wythenshawe and Altrincham

fgwrich

Established Member
Building on that, there are some rumours going around that South is to receive some cascaded extra Manchester vehicles - does anyone have an idea as to what’s due to be released from the Manchester area soon?