• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Merseyside Cheshire and South Lancashire

gka472l

11607-612 new MMCs for North East have been delivered to Merseyside to assist with the Park & Ride service for the Open Golf Championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Course at Hoylake. MCSLs own new MMCs 11629-31 for Preston are also in use.
Not 11609 though, that's in service in Newcastle. Several Preston Scania/E400 are at the Open, as is at least one Manchester E400MMC.

HTH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanM1997

Stagecoach look to have lost the tenders for the 48 Frodsham-Northwich - de-registered from 2 September 2023:
  • Registration numberPC1033334/524
  • Licence NumberPC1033334
  • Variation number2
  • StatusCancellation
  • Service number.CH48, 48, 48A
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointFrodsham
  • Finish pointNorthwich
  • Via
  • Date received20 Jul 2023
  • Effective date02 Sep 2023
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?Yes
  • Local authorities covered by routeCheshire West and Chester Council
  • TAOs covered by routeNorth West of England

However, they are proposing to launch a DRT (demand resoponsive transport) service in Frodsham from 31 July 2023:
  • Registration numberPC1033334/615
  • Variation number0
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.DRT, DRT
  • Service typeFlexible Registration
  • Start pointFrodsham
  • Finish pointFrodsham
  • Via
  • Effective date31 Jul 2023
  • End date
  • Local authorities covered by routeCheshire West and Chester Council

They do seem to have won the 61 Chester-Higher Kinnerton, with the route being varied from 3 September 2023:
  • Registration numberPC1033334/430
  • Variation number14
  • StatusVariation
  • Service number.CH61, 62, 61
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointChester
  • Finish pointHigher Kinnerton
  • Via
  • Effective date03 Sep 2023
  • End date
  • Local authorities covered by routeFlintshire County Council
  • Cheshire West and Chester Council
  • Wales

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Shame that Stagecoach loses the 48/48A but I think that it's one of the more competetive tenders around with the numerous firms who could take it on in the area. 61 is almost a dead cert Stagecoach win each year really.

SeanM1997

Who do you think may have won the 48/A? D&G or Warrington?
Both have potential - D&G with its Wincham Depot and now the largest operator in Northwich. Warrington have the existing subsidised N4 route so deal with Cheshire West on subsidised ops in Northwich. Both could offer better connections in Northwich than Stagecoach which doesn't have a presence there outside this route

On another note, does anyone know how the 84 Crewe-Nantwich / Crewe-Chester is doing? The Crewe-Nantwich shuttles don't look the fullest but hoping it's just the odd bus and that loads are still okay to maintain the service. Tough against D&G and their faster route and 10/20 timings split in their favour

markymark2000

On Moderation
Both have potential - D&G with its Wincham Depot and now the largest operator in Northwich. Warrington have the existing subsidised N4 route so deal with Cheshire West on subsidised ops in Northwich. Both could offer better connections in Northwich than Stagecoach which doesn't have a presence there outside this route
Stagecoach has the connections in Frodsham though which neither of these firms has but lets be honest, Cheshire west is not awarding tenders based off who has connecting networks at either end. They are issuing to whoever is cheapest. If it was awarded based on connections, D&G would never, ever have won the Chester Sunday 15As a while back and Happy Als would never have gotten the 22 service contract.

To throw a name out there though, Howards (or Omega travel as they are now). They used to do the 48 and they have taken on tenders with the 62 in Runcorn. They aren't based a million miles away. Nothing stops them trying for the 48.

northwichcat

Established Member
Stagecoach cancelling the 48 doesn't automatically mean they've lost the tender. If it's not been awarded yet then they might have given the minimum notice to cancel, to be on the safe side.

The N4 does partly duplicate the Cat9a so would probably be Warrington's Own Buses' first choice for a Northwich local route.

Cheshire West might be apprehensive about awarding contracts to Howards. They put regularly put a 29 seater Dart on the Weaverham High runs, despite the contract specifying a higher minimum capacity. They also stopped running the 48 in the middle of the day when they lost their operating licence!

WibbleWobble

Could the 48 cancellation be tied in with the new Demand Responsive service? I know there's a crossover between one starting and the other ending, but that could just be to allow the contract to come to a natural end.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Could the 48 cancellation be tied in with the new Demand Responsive service? I know there's a crossover between one starting and the other ending, but that could just be to allow the contract to come to a natural end.
They will be having both surely as both the DRT tender went out and then a month after that tender was closed, the 48 went out to tender.

northwichcat

Established Member
Could the 48 cancellation be tied in with the new Demand Responsive service?

A demand responsive service won't be suitable for the Weaverham High pupils. Replacing the 48 with demand responsive and then contracting a designated school service probably won't be cheaper.

SeanM1997

Stagecoach cancelling the 48 doesn't automatically mean they've lost the tender. If it's not been awarded yet then they might have given the minimum notice to cancel, to be on the safe side.
I assume they have lost it, given they are varying the 61(62) Chester - Higher Kinnerton route from 3 September 2023:

But are cancelling the 48(CH48) Frodsham - Northwich

markymark2000

On Moderation
I assume they have lost it, given they are varying the 61(62) Chester - Higher Kinnerton route from 3 September 2023:

But are cancelling the 48(CH48) Frodsham - Northwich
The explanation text in the Traffic Commissioners Registration Dataset (put into an easily readable format thanks to Bustimes.org) says 'Loss of tender'

• Received20 Jul 23
  • Effective2 Sep 23
  • Cancellation
Loss of Tender

TheSel

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I couldn't find it at a cursory look-back).

New seasonal open-top service 400, Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton launched last Sunday. Two photos below (mine) at Seacombe Ferry today showing the vehicle used - Alexander Bodied Dennis Trident 17502 - TSU641 - originally 'TA325' registered LX51FNE with Stagecoach Selkent (London).

I can't find any timetable on the Merseytravel or Stagecoach websites, but there's one on Bus Times at this link.

Attachments

• 17502 - TSU641 - Seacombe Ferry (2).jpg
    17502 - TSU641 - Seacombe Ferry (2).jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 17502 - TSU641 - Seacombe Ferry.jpg
    17502 - TSU641 - Seacombe Ferry.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 33

markymark2000

On Moderation
Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I couldn't find it at a cursory look-back).

New seasonal open-top service 400, Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton launched last Sunday. Two photos below (mine) at Seacombe Ferry today showing the vehicle used - Alexander Bodied Dennis Trident 17502 - TSU641 - originally 'TA325' registered LX51FNE with Stagecoach Selkent (London).

I can't find any timetable on the Merseytravel or Stagecoach websites, but there's one on Bus Times at this link.
This is the official promotion page on the Stagecoach website.

Stagecoach Bus is launching a new service connecting Liverpool to New Brighton for the summer holidays.

The Coastal Breezer Open Top Bus will operate from Monday 24th July, taking tourists from Seacombe Ferry Terminal to New Brighton and back!
The service will connect with Ferry times to allow for easy travel connections. Running seven days a week until the Bank Holiday in August and every weekend until the end of September.

Working with Merseytravel, we are delighted to offer this service for free to all Mersey Ferry customers and customers visiting the Eureka! Science and Discovery Centre too. With great discounted fares on the service 400, you can travel for just £1 Adult single fare or £5 for a family ticket, making it great value for summer days out.

childwallblues

Established Member
New Enviro MMC 11629-33 are now at Preston for Route 125 after being used on the Wirral for the Open Golf Park & Ride.
I assume that Preston Depot will be losing some buses when the whole batch 11629-11651 is delivered.
Current 125 liveried 15226 was noted in Liverpool on the X2 last night.

TheSel

To be fair, 'Gold' liveried, '125' branded buses on the X2 might be scarce, but are not exactly rare on the X2. Even 'The Flying Mustard Pot' (15247) has been thus deployed recently.

{For those unaware of local liveried variations, 15247 is the only 'Stagecoach Distance' liveried decker example painted in 'all over puke' at Preston, allegedly because Stagecoach realised what a c*ck-up they'd made with that colour choice}

For info, standard liveried 15474 has put in a return trip this afternoon, so the '67' reg batch - intended for the route since new - are not guaranteed.

gka472l

New Enviro MMC 11629-33 are now at Preston for Route 125 after being used on the Wirral for the Open Golf Park & Ride.
I assume that Preston Depot will be losing some buses when the whole batch 11629-11651 is delivered.
Current 125 liveried 15226 was noted in Liverpool on the X2 last night.
I believe the current Gold 125 batch are staying at Preston so would assume older (09/59 etc) ones would be leaving. Whether they end up on Merseyside or leave the area completely isn't known yet.....

peterblue

I’ve noticed 125 Gold and X2 liveried buses operating on the 61 and 68, so anything can turn out

There are a few X2 liveried buses spare since the route went on a slightly reduced timetable - you'll frequently see the X2 buses on other routes worked out of Preston depot. 1, 59, 61 and 68 being the most common.

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Stagecoach have won the Chester - Kinnerton route.

1Frodsham - Northwich
2Chester - West Kirkby
3Chester - Kinnerton

Award Detail​

1D&G Bus (Cheshire)
  • Reference: 022209-2023-1
2Als Coaches (Liverpool)
  • Reference: 022209-2023-60022-2
  • Value: £990,000
3Stagecoach (Merseyside)
  • Reference: 022209-2023-60011-3
  • Value: £283,240

Last edited by a moderator:

childwallblues

Established Member
Bus Fleetlists states that Scania 15466 has transferred from Preston to Chester. Is this a permanent transfer or just a loan please?

Link, please - mod

Noted on Smithdown Road in Liverpool this morning was ex Peoples Bus 19901. Looked like it was route learning for Route 86.

Last edited:

frodshamfella

Established Member
A demand responsive service won't be suitable for the Weaverham High pupils. Replacing the 48 with demand responsive and then contracting a designated school service probably won't be cheaper.

I understand the 20 mins service from Weaverham to Northwich has gone to hourly, and renumbered the 49, the 48 will certainly be needed more now. Its a shame there is no service serving Little Leigh , Whitley and Dutton anymore.

northwichcat

Established Member
I understand the 20 mins service from Weaverham to Northwich has gone to hourly, and renumbered the 49, the 48 will certainly be needed more now. Its a shame there is no service serving Little Leigh , Whitley and Dutton anymore.

It was Weaverham to Northwich every 15 minutes a few years ago, with two vehicles passing each other between Greenbank and Castle.

It would be nice if the 48 was interworked with the 49 and some shorts were introduced to give Weaverham to Northwich every 30.

Statto

Established Member
Stagecoach website is awful (only Arriva's is the worst site on the net) set your location function is not working (on either laptop or mobile device, & i've cleared cashe, & data), which is not great when i want to try & get the Stagecoach pdf map for Chorley.

duncombec

Stagecoach website is awful (only Arriva's is the worst site on the net) set your location function is not working (on either laptop or mobile device, & i've cleared cashe, & data), which is not great when i want to try & get the Stagecoach pdf map for Chorley.
I find the set location function doesn't work if you type the whole place name but will if you type the first few letters and select from the drop down.

The only map for Chorley is the South Lancs Network map, https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...eyside/South_Lancs_Network_Map_WEB 3.4.23.pdf

Statto

Established Member
I find the set location function doesn't work if you type the whole place name but will if you type the first few letters and select from the drop down.

The only map for Chorley is the South Lancs Network map, https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/RouteMaps/Merseyside/South_Lancs_Network_Map_WEB 3.4.23.pdf

The location function doesn't work even if you just type in just 3 letters, why can't Stagecoach site take you go to the region you want, like the First Bus site does?

Oh cheers for that map, it's the one i was trying to find.

Danfilm007

The location function doesn't work even if you just type in just 3 letters, why can't Stagecoach site take you go to the region you want, like the First Bus site does?

Oh cheers for that map, it's the one i was trying to find.
It can affect the way bustimes ingests some of its data too I think - I found once a route on there only had a Mon-Fri schedule but it was an all-week service too on the Stagecoach site timetables!

frodshamfella

Established Member
It was Weaverham to Northwich every 15 minutes a few years ago, with two vehicles passing each other between Greenbank and Castle.

It would be nice if the 48 was interworked with the 49 and some shorts were introduced to give Weaverham to Northwich every 30.

Yes that would be a better than whats on offer now. Its shame the 48 lost its Saturday service . None of these cuts helps people to leave their cars at home.