• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Merseyside Cheshire and South Lancashire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanM1997

I've noticed recently that the 84 Crewe-Chester is having more frequent double deckers during the weekday, whereas previously they were only available for school holidays and weekends. Has Chester had new deckers for this route?

Established Member
I've noticed recently that the 84 Crewe-Chester is having more frequent double deckers during the weekday, whereas previously they were only available for school holidays and weekends. Has Chester had new deckers for this route?

Chester received five Scanias from Birkenhead in exchange for their five 16-reg Enviro400s, although with 19143 being reinstated last month, I suppose that counts as a net gain of one double decker.

childwallblues

Established Member
This hasn't been decided yet, as far as I know.
36791 is at Preston

MCSL are to operate new night route N1 from Birkenhead Bus Station to Liverpool City Centre and Allerton Library commencing Thursday 07/12/2023. It will operate Thursday evening/Friday morning, Friday evening/Saturday morning and Saturday evening/Sunday morning. I think that the route is sponsored by Merseytravel.

MCSL are to operate new night route N1 from Birkenhead Bus Station to Liverpool City Centre and Allerton Library commencing Thursday 07/12/2023. It will operate Thursday evening/Friday morning, Friday evening/Saturday morning and Saturday evening/Sunday morning. I think that the route is sponsored by Merseytravel.

Last edited:

TheSel

Note it's only for a trial period (for now).

This link from Merseytravel includes the significant section (my emboldening in paragraph 2):

"Christmas has come early for passengers travelling between Liverpool and the Wirral after Mayor Steve Rotheram announced that the highly anticipated night bus will return from next week.

Late night revellers and shift workers will soon be able to travel across the Mersey into the early hours of the morning as part of a new trial being launched in the Liverpool City Region.

The N1, which will be operated by Stagecoach, will enter service just before half midnight on Friday 8 December with buses running every hour until around 5am every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Mayor Rotheram has worked with local campaign groups, students and the hospitality industry to reinstate the service, which had previously been removed by private operators during the COVID-19 pandemic and associated lockdowns."

Also note that (same source):

"Weekly and monthly passes, as well as Saveaway and day rider tickets, will not be accepted on the service."

Timetable embedded for those interested.​

Attachments

• N1-7Dec23.pdf
    633.4 KB · Views: 31

Statto

Established Member
I remember Stagecoach night buses N1 Liverpool - Chester, also short 86 Liverpool - Allerton Library, the N1 operated a couple of journeys Friday night, Saturday morning & Saturday night, Sunday morning, the night 86 operated hourly 7 days a week, the night 86 was complemented by extra night buses on the Arriva 86A, these routes were suspended at covid & never returned.

childwallblues

Established Member
36799 is now in service from Gillmoss.

36796 is now in service at Preston.

36797 is now in service at Gillmoss leaving just 36798 and 36800 to be allocated.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
I note that Stagecoach aren't operating any services on the Wirral on New Years' Day (NYD) this year (neither are Arriva). A fairly limited service has operated over the last few years on NYD, for example, an hourly service on route 1, Chester - Liverpool. I can see me having to break the bad news to a few people waiting at bus stops who won't have checked beforehand...

TheSel

I note that Stagecoach aren't operating any services on the Wirral on New Years' Day (NYD) this year (neither are Arriva). A fairly limited service has operated over the last few years on NYD, for example, an hourly service on route 1, Chester - Liverpool. I can see me having to break the bad news to a few people waiting at bus stops who won't have checked beforehand...
Pedant alert.

This refers to New Year's Day 2024 - i.e. next year. o_O

Polarbear

Established Member
This refers to New Year's Day 2024 - i.e. next year.

Yep - my bad! :lol:

Just to add that there are very few services running on the Liverpool side on that day too.

gray1404

Established Member
This refers to New Year's Day 2024 - i.e. next year.

Yep - my bad! :lol:

Just to add that there are very few services running on the Liverpool side on that day too.
Glad you posted this as it prompted me to look. On New Year's Day I need to get from Formby to a friend who lives off Green Lane it's self. Arriving for 12.30 and leaving around 4pm.

It looks like my best and only option is Merseyrail Formby to Liverpool then the Arriva 10B from Liverpool getting off on Prescot Road and walking down Green Lane.

Hopefully the service will not be too busy and still able to pick up passengers on my return.

Polarbear

Established Member
My experience of buses around Liverpool on New Years Day is that they are generally not too busy.

RHolmes

By that logic @RHolmes, you're suggesting buses should only run whan they are too busy? :?:
No, but they should cover their own costs. A full bus is a more profitable and financially sustainable bus.

It’s rather expensive to run a bus service on New Year’s Day as staff who work this particular bank holiday and those over Christmas receive financial incentives to run said services, resulting in a higher cost to run said service whilst at the same time receiving less income from less passengers travelling.

On the other side of the M62, Stagecoach Manchester used to use ‘special fares’ on NYD to £3 min single (including along the magic bus corridor) to cover such costs.

markymark2000

On Moderation
No, but they should cover their own costs. A full bus is a more profitable and financially sustainable bus.

It’s rather expensive to run a bus service on New Year’s Day as staff who work this particular bank holiday and those over Christmas receive financial incentives to run said services, resulting in a higher cost to run said service whilst at the same time receiving less income from less passengers travelling.

On the other side of the M62, Stagecoach Manchester used to use ‘special fares’ on NYD to £3 min single (including along the magic bus corridor) to cover such costs.
I am sure Stagecoach Gillmoss agreement is 1.5x wage on New Years Day (so around £23 per hour), plus a leiu day for working a bank holiday.

childwallblues

Established Member
36796 has transferred from Gillmoss to Preston.

36800 is another of the ex Wigan buses to be allocated to Preston.

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Changes to bus services in Lancashire from Sunday 28th January 2024 (on Stagecoach website):
2 Preston – Southport / 2A Preston – Ormskirk

Both of these services will have revised timetables to improve the reliability of the routes and help buses to operate more punctually. Please check the new times carefully.

We are also pleased to announce that service 2A will gain a late evening service (Monday to Saturday) between Preston and Ormskirk, with buses operating roughly once per hour until around 10.30pm. These journeys have been funded by HM Government ‘Bus Service Improvement Plan’ monies, in partnership with Lancashire County Council.

X2 Preston – Southport – Liverpool

This service will have revised timetable to improve reliability and help buses to operate more punctually. Please check the new times carefully.

61 Preston – Kirkham – Blackpool

We are pleased to announce that service 61 will be restored to a half-hourly frequency, Monday to Saturday daytimes, throughout the route! There will also be an improved Monday to Saturday later evening service. This enhanced frequency has been funded by HM Government ‘Bus Service Improvement Plan’ monies, in partnership with Lancashire County Council and Blackpool Council.

127 Chorley & South Ribble Hospital – Astley Village – Chorley – Adlington – Blackrod – Middlebrook

We are pleased to announce major improvements to service 127, including an expanded route and timetable.

Buses will operate up to every hour between Chorley Hospital and Middlebrook, Monday to Saturday daytimes.

We will still operate via the existing route from Chorley to Middlebrook, but north of Chorley, we will operate via Southport Road and West Way to Astley Village (Chancery Road) and then along Euxton Lane (past the new Strawberry Fields development) to start / finish in Chorley Hospital grounds, at the bus stop by the main entrance. Service 127 will replace the current Tyrer’s service 119 in Astley Village, which will instead operate direct along the A6 between Chorley and Hartwood Hall. The full range of Stagecoach tickets will now be sold and valid throughout the route.

This enhanced service has been funded by HM Government ‘Bus Service Improvement Plan’ monies, in partnership with Lancashire County Council.

Upcoming Changes from 25th February 2024 (Chester Area):
X2 - Chester to Runcorn - Reliability Alts to 2 & 2A Services & X30 Runcorn Trip Renumbered 2X
5 - Chester to Wrexham - Timetable Alts to Improve Reliability
6 - Ellesmere Port to Ellesmere Port - Reducing to a 40 Minute Frequency Following the End of Current Section 106 Funding
C7 - Chester to Vicars Cross - Increase to 30 Minute Frequency Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
CH9 - Chester to Pipers Ash - Re-Introduction of Service 9 Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
84 - Chester to Crewe - Timetable Alts to Improve Reliability
CH26 - Guilden Sutton to Ellesmere Port - Introduction of Saturday Service Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
C102 - Ellesmere Port to Chester - Route & Timing Alterations at Request of CWCC

Upcoming Changes from 25th February 2024 (Preston Area):
CY125 - Preston to Bolton - Timetable Amendment

Timetables awaiting approval from Traffic Commissioner

Fife, although it's now not a Stagecoach vehicle - it's been purchased by Peoplesbus who are starting up again. Presumably only at Gillmoss for MOT.
Yes, that's correct. Peoplesbus picked up a couple of these to act as a spare bus for their school contract (686). WA04FOD and FOF. I think they were from Devon originally and then Fife. There's a picture of them after arriving at the Peoplesbus depot on their Twitter site.

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Changes to bus services in Lancashire from Sunday 28th January 2024 (on Stagecoach website):

Upcoming Changes from 25th February 2024 (Chester Area):
X2 - Chester to Runcorn - Reliability Alts to 2 & 2A Services & X30 Runcorn Trip Renumbered 2X
5 - Chester to Wrexham - Timetable Alts to Improve Reliability
6 - Ellesmere Port to Ellesmere Port - Reducing to a 40 Minute Frequency Following the End of Current Section 106 Funding
C7 - Chester to Vicars Cross - Increase to 30 Minute Frequency Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
CH9 - Chester to Pipers Ash - Re-Introduction of Service 9 Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
84 - Chester to Crewe - Timetable Alts to Improve Reliability
CH26 - Guilden Sutton to Ellesmere Port - Introduction of Saturday Service Following BSIP Funding from CWCC
C102 - Ellesmere Port to Chester - Route & Timing Alterations at Request of CWCC

Upcoming Changes from 25th February 2024 (Preston Area):
CY125 - Preston to Bolton - Timetable Amendment

Timetables awaiting approval from Traffic Commissioner

From Sunday 25th February 2024, Stagecoach is making improvements to its bus services in Cheshire.31 Jan 2024 to 17 Mar 2024​

Starting from Sunday, February 25th, 2024, Stagecoach is making improvements to its bus services in Cheshire. Here's a summary of the changes:

2/2A Chester – Ellesmere Port – Runcorn:

• Minor timetable adjustments for better reliability.
  • The Runcorn to Chester journey at 18:58 (Mon-Sat) will be re-numbered from X30 to 2X to reduce confusion.

5 Chester – Huntington – Wrexham:
  • New Friday and Saturday late evening service connecting Chester with Huntington, Farndon, and Holt.
  • Supported by funding from HM Government in partnership with Cheshire West & Chester Council.

6 Ellesmere Port – Great Sutton – Ellesmere Port:
  • Reduced frequency to 40 minutes (Monday to Saturday daytimes) due to funding reduction from the Ledsham housing development.
  • Ongoing collaboration with Cheshire West & Chester Council and developers for future enhancements.

7 Chester – Vicars Cross – Chester
  • Increased frequency to every 30 minutes (Monday to Saturday daytimes).
  • Funding from HM Government and partnership with Cheshire West & Chester Council.
  • Service 8A will be replaced by service 9. (see below). The evening and Sunday service 8 will continue to operate unchanged.

8A Chester – Vicars Cross – Pipers Ash – Chester

• Discontinued, replaced by improved service 7 and new service 9.

9 Chester – Pipers Ash – Chester
  • New service linking Chester with Pipers Ash every 30 minutes (Monday to Saturday daytimes).
  • Funded by HM Government and in partnership with Cheshire West & Chester Council.
  • Service 9 will operate from Chester Bus Interchange along Hoole Road, Canadian Avenue, Pipers Ash estate, then back via Hoole Lane and Boughton to Chester Bus Interchange. Evening and Sunday buses will continue to operate unchanged as service 8.

26 Guilden Sutton – Chester – Ellesmere Port:
  • Introduction of a new Saturday service, funded by HM Government and in partnership with Cheshire West & Chester Council.

84 Chester – Nantwich – Crewe
  • Minor timetable changes for improved service reliability, especially during peak times.

102/103 Ellesmere Port Sunday local services
  • Extended to serve Westminster Road and Grace Road areas of Ellesmere Port, as per Cheshire West & Chester Council's request.
  • Minor timetable adjustments to accommodate this route change.

ALL TIMETABLES WILL BE LOADED SHORTLY!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Such a shame that CWAC is wasting BSIP money to prop up the failing and disused routes but refusing to put proper funding into the Huntington 5 to put it back to a reasonable frequency rather than this every 20-25 minute rubbish that we have now! The Fri/Sat Eve bus to Holt is interesting though, Not sure how well used it will be but we will see.

EPort 6, why every 40 minutes? It always worked half hourly without funding, no reason why it couldn't now other than greed and begging for funding. Once a core route which Stagecoach competed to get and now being ruined by the current management.

Chester 7/8/9, Not really sure this is the best use of funding. Yes the current routes don't make sense but I don't think this is the solution. The routes aren't that busy and putting it back to how it was isn't going to bring back enough people for it to be viable again in the future.

26 Saturday service, what an absolute joke. It hardly carries anyone now, you're lucky if you ever see more than 3 people on it (The Upton High School run excepted), why throw taxpayers money away giving the service a boost when there are so many other areas which deserve the money more and the funds could have a much bigger impact.

102/103, less said the better. Colossal waste of money. The transport team should be up in court for mismanagement of public funds!

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Such a shame that CWAC is wasting BSIP money to prop up the failing and disused routes but refusing to put proper funding into the 5 to put it back to a reasonable frequency rather than this every 20-25 minute rubbish that we have now! (

EPort 6, why every 40 minutes? It always worked half hourly without funding, no reason why it couldn't now other than greed and begging for funding. Once a core route which Stagecoach competed to get and now being ruined by the current management.

26 Saturday service, what an absolute joke. It hardly carries anyone now, you're lucky if you ever see more than 3 people on it (The Upton High School run excepted), why throw taxpayers money away giving the service a boost when there are so many other areas which deserve the money more and the funds could have a much bigger impact.
The 6 had developer S106 funding not Council funding. Now that's being reduced as developer's don't pay S106 forever, normally split between occupation and 50% occupied.

I'd have like to see some improvement to the Northwich and Winsford services as a result of BSIP but alas doesn't look like it

markymark2000

On Moderation
The 6 had developer S106 funding not Council funding. Now that's being reduced as developer's don't pay S106 forever, normally split between occupation and 50% occupied.
There is funding, the council is sat on it. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/developer_funded_transport#incoming-2394768. As of August 2023 when this freedom of information request was put in, the council had £647,000 unspent from this development and they are still yet to receive £1.37m for the development (some of which is due yearly, some when more houses are complete occupied). There is plenty of funding there. That also doesn't answer my actual point which is, Stagecoach compete for the 6 a few years ago, they were begging for it. It ran half hourly without any funding at all and it worked. Now the developer funding is being cut and they cut it back to a worse level than it was before 400 houses were built next to the route! It's a clear attempt of Stagecoach throwing their toys out of the pram because they want more and more funding for the route rather than run it at a proper frequency. Calls within the industry are quite clear, easy to remember, same time each hour, frequencies are what is needed. Not this every 40 minutes codswallop. Current management at MCSL only care about funding now, not a stuff for commercial anything. Want everyone elses funding but they want to keep the profits themselves. Convenient.

I'd have like to see some improvement to the Northwich and Winsford services as a result of BSIP but alas doesn't look like it
Unless that's a later phase perhaps.

Last edited:

F262YTJ

Read the Lancashire update, is it true that the X2 Preston to Southport and Liverpool will be restored to a half hourly frequency in the coming months?

duncombec

[...] Stagecoach compete for the 6 a few years ago, they were begging for it. It ran half hourly without any funding at all and it worked. Now the developer funding is being cut and they cut it back to a worse level than it was before 400 houses were built next to the route! It's a clear attempt of Stagecoach throwing their toys out of the pram because they want more and more funding for the route rather than run it at a proper frequency. Calls within the industry are quite clear, easy to remember, same time each hour, frequencies are what is needed. Not this every 40 minutes codswallop. Current management at MCSL only care about funding now, not a stuff for commercial anything. Want everyone elses funding but they want to keep the profits themselves. Convenient.

I notice that the current journey time is 33 minutes, which is presumably why the frequency is reducing (although 45 minutes might be more friendly). Presumably the S106 funding is paying for the second bus and driver?

What was the journey time when it operated half-hourly? Or if over 30 minutes, did it interwork or were the buses idle for nearly half an hour? My last paper timetable is dated before the current service pattern, and I can't find anything useful at a quick look on archive.org - or was the service restructured at the same time? Journey times just over a suitable pattern must be a nightmare for schedulers, be that 17 minutes, 33 minutes or 65 minutes.

Lets not forget that a route that might have been commercial per-S106 funding (and pre-Covid) may not be now with increased costs, and may have already been trimmed had S106 funding not been available to prop it up?

Presumably every 40 minutes is the commercial service level, i.e. one bus, one driver, but doubled costs aren't? Otherwise, not sure I understand your comment that current management only want funding.