• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

fraser158

I completely understand that Stagecoach Highland in common with probably all bus operators are having difficulty with staff self-isolating, but why is it so difficult for them to state which specific buses won’t be running?

Just so that I don’t have to wait for the one an hour service like an idiot when it isn’t coming.

*Edit*
So I’ve not just been an idiot waiting for one route but another one that gets me roughly 3 quarters there hasn’t turned up either. Bloody pathetic.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan1296

Stagecoach Bluebird also do this - albeit at very last minute. Xplore Dundee & First Glasgow/FSE seem to do a good job of publishing the days cancellations from the start of service. As far as I’m aware, First Aberdeen haven’t done this, nor have Lothian.

fraser158

I’d be less incensed if they could send a simple tweet or post a simple message on their website.

They did tweet “major disruption” but didn’t specify which routes. They just seem to have abandoned some.

Last edited:

alchemy

21386 and ,21388 now in service
3 more optares arrived in Orkney bringing the total so far to 6. I have seen all of the evoras except 1 although not all have been on fare services yet.
The only older bus I have seen recently is the green electric optare. It's been parked at the depot over the last few days with charger plugged in.

It appears that the entire batch of new solo SRs for Orkney have entered service according to the tracker (48051-9)
Still missing 21374/5/6/7/84 according to tracker, are they currently in Orkney or awaiting to be shipped there?
Also, how many of the new electric buses for Aberdeen have been built so far?

alchemy

All evoras are here now. 84 was last to arrive. Possibly not commissioned yet as bottom back section and rear number plate not fitted.
74 75 76 77 are here but so far only been used on school services

Jordan Adam

Established Member
11566 is likely to be off the road for a short while as it was involved in an RTC at the Airport the other night and the chassis has been bent.

The "Prodigy" 19373 is also currently off the road and sat at Tullos with no engine, it had been suffering from oil pressure issues for quite a few weeks and it seems the engine finally went. This is the same vehicle that caught fire on the A90 near Foveran in 2019, and twice again in 2020 in Banchory and Northfield respectively.

54825 and 54831 have finally returned from accident repairs with 54831 currently undergoing repaint in to the Long Distance livery, 10529 is also currently undergoing repaint.

Updated list of vehicles in the 2020 liveries (17/02/2022).

Stagecoach Bluebird

Enviro400MMC: 10526/27/29-33, 10895, 11168, 11566/67
Enviro400EV: 14035-56
Enviro400: 19170/213/374/541/542
Enviro200MMC: 26131-34
Enviro300: 27108/112/534/538/601/602/804
Enviro350H: 29001-22
Enviro200: 36046/47/49/50/68/959
Optare Solo: 47161/178/214/233/235/257/484/486/489/490/601/602/603/605/606
Optare Solo SR: 47875/876
B12B Panther: 53107/110/112
B9R Elite: 53715
B11R Elitei: 54241-58
B11R Elite: 54825-34

Stagecoach In the Highlands
Enviro300: 27101
Scania Enviro300: 28602/03/04/05/46/49
Enviro200: 36203, 36324, 36583
B9R Panther: 53612/613/615/616/617/618
B9R Elite: 53703/06/08
B13Rt Panther: 54120-23/30-37
B11Rt Elite: 54303/04/09/10

Key: Local Livery, Electric Livery, Long Distance Livery, Training Livery

In addition to those vehicles above the following vehicles have also been repainted in to 2020 liveries but since withdrawn and/or scrapped. Bluebird: 36033. Highland: 27587, 27588, 27591, 28601, 28644, 54038. It should be noted that 27587/88 & 28601 did not see any service at all after repaint.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Why were so many vehicles repainted and then disposed of without seeing service?
It would appear that they are vehicles that were withdrawn at the start of the Covid pandemic, intended to be reinstated but perhaps the financial costs to put them right mechanically were too high?

27587/88 are still listed on the fleet card as "reserve" vehicles but as noted already neither have seen service for around two years and both are well out of MOT. 27587 was last seen parked up at EScot's Dunfermline depot around a year ago while 27588 i believe is still parked up at Inverness.

28601 was repainted around December 2020, sat at Inverness cannibalised for quite some time and was approved for scrap last September. This isn't the first Highland K230UB to be scrapped either as 28648 was withdrawn around 3 years ago after only 6 years of service and sat heavily cannibalised with no engine at Inverness for quite some time before finally being sent to Kilmarnock to be stripped of useful parts and then scrapped.

Of the other vehicles 36033 and 28644 were RTC victims, 54038 was likely just withdrawn because it was the last B12Bt/Panther in the fleet, 27591 did see quite a bit of service after repaint but has become surplus to requirements with the new Evoras arriving on Orkney.

hst43102

It would appear that they are vehicles that were withdrawn at the start of the Covid pandemic, intended to be reinstated but perhaps the financial costs to put them right mechanically were too high?

27587/88 are still listed on the fleet card as "reserve" vehicles but as noted already neither have seen service for around two years and both are well out of MOT. 27587 was last seen parked up at EScot's Dunfermline depot around a year ago while 27588 i believe is still parked up at Inverness.

28601 was repainted around December 2020, sat at Inverness cannibalised for quite some time and was approved for scrap last September. This isn't the first Highland K230UB to be scrapped either as 28648 was withdrawn around 3 years ago after only 6 years of service and sat heavily cannibalised with no engine at Inverness for quite some time before finally being sent to Kilmarnock to be stripped of useful parts and then scrapped.

Of the other vehicles 36033 and 28644 were RTC victims, 54038 was likely just withdrawn because it was the last B12Bt/Panther in the fleet, 27591 did see quite a bit of service after repaint but has become surplus to requirements with the new Evoras arriving on Orkney.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Seems a bit pointless to repaint obscure or old vehicles when there are plenty of others still in the old livery.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Why were so many vehicles repainted and then disposed of without seeing service?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Repaints may have been planned alongside regular overhauls and then when the pandemic hit, with the subsequent reduction in service, it was determined that it was no longer viable to keep those vehicles in service. Bear in mind that nobody had any idea back then how long restrictions and subsequent service reductions would last.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Bluebird: Aberdeen based 10528 is now off for repaint in to Stagecoach Local livery signaling the end of the "JET" brand in North Scotland after almost exactly 15 years.

Highland: Orkney based driver trainer 53613 has been repainted in to Stagecoach Stripes.

The "Prodigy" 19373 is also currently off the road and sat at Tullos with no engine, it had been suffering from oil pressure issues for quite a few weeks and it seems the engine finally went. This is the same vehicle that caught fire on the A90 near Foveran in 2019, and twice again in 2020 in Banchory and Northfield respectively.
I can't decide whether this is the luckiest bus ever or the unluckiest bus ever.
Reminds me of Stagecoach South West's 18393 which has caught fire twice, been involved in two RTCs and once it dove into a hedge!

Any sane engineering manager would surely make the inevitable enough is enough decision at this point and strip every single last usable bit off it before sending what's left to be made into baked bean tins
If there is a usable bit. At this point I highly doubt that

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I can't decide whether this is the luckiest bus ever or the unluckiest bus ever.
Reminds me of Stagecoach South West's 18393 which has caught fire twice, been involved in two RTCs and once it dove into a hedge!
19373 isn't alone... 19376 caught fire on Auchmill Road back in September while the Fire service had to attend to 19378 just south of Stonehaven a few months back. 19370/71 have also had thermal incidents in the past while 19369 is dangerously slow especially on hills. The whole batch are just well past it now and have been for a while.

It seems 373 is a cursed number as Trident 18373 didn't seem to have a great ending either.
Any sane engineering manager would surely make the inevitable enough is enough decision at this point and strip every single last usable bit off it before sending what's left to be made into baked bean tins
I think them stripping the unusable bits to put on other buses would be far more likely...

*new post*

19041 has gained a Highland Scottish heritage livery.

Last edited:

Marty82

Today saw the official launch of Stagecoach's 22 new electric buses for use on the 59 and 727 services.

https://planetradio.co.uk/northsound/local/news/stagecoach-launch-22-electric-buses-in-aberdeen/

A fleet of 22 electric buses has today launched in Aberdeen following over £11 million of investment, supported from the Scottish Government Ultra Low Emissions Scheme.

Operated by Stagecoach, the buses will run on routes that connect the city centre with Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, TECA and Aberdeen International Airport, as well as running through residential areas.

Peter Knight, Managing Director of Stagecoach Bluebird, said that the new buses are an "attractive proposition for customers".

"Bus travel is one of the most environmentally friendly ways to travel and we hope that by offering zero emission vehicles next level of comfort that it attracts people who previously weren't bus users to switch from the car to bus.

"It's really important that we continue with investment, not only to make bus travelling, attractive proposition for our customers and current non-bus users, but also for the supply chain and the jobs that this industry also supports."

Stagecoach's ambition is to decarbonise its fleet by 70% by 2035.

"Here in Aberdeen, we really hopeful that we continue to get the investment to be able to decarbonise the fleet in line with that ambition", added Knight.

Each of the new buses will include USB charging ports at every seat, live tracking through a mobile app, as well as contactless payments and recycled leather seats.

It's hoped that these new features will encourage a younger generation of people to use public transport, according to Director of Bus Users for Scotland, Greig Mackay.

"We've got the under 22 scheme that's just been launched at the start of the year, so we have a whole new audience of bus passengers that are going to be coming on and using public transport.

"They may have been used to school buses, which would we also a slightly different age profile than us.

"And then they come onto something like this. It's modern, it's comfortable, it's easy to use and it's easy to access - that's what public transport should be about."

Last edited by a moderator:

chiltern trev

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What is the passenger carrying capacity, particilarly seats, compared to the non-electric equivalent? A lot of the "space" after the rear axle seems to be non-passenger space and thus reduced capacity.
Downstairs they seat 27 which is the same as the E400MMCs they replace on the 727, while the 59 is currently a single deck route. The lack of luggage racks will be more of an issue on the 727 while the lack of step free seats will be the issue for the 59, the latter especially for the 59 since it's the main hospital route and almost every seat on the Enviro350Hs currently on the route are step free.

PG

Established Member
Downstairs they seat 27 which is the same as the E400MMCs they replace on the 727, while the 59 is currently a single deck route. The lack of luggage racks will be more of an issue on the 727 while the lack of step free seats will be the issue for the 59, the latter especially for the 59 since it's the main hospital route and almost every seat on the Enviro350Hs currently on the route are step free.
Purely from looking at the photo accompanying that article I'd estimate about 5 seats less on each deck. Coupled with the missing luggage racks you wonder if they've shot themselves in the foot by putting them on the 727?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Purely from looking at the photo accompanying that article I'd estimate about 5 seats less on each deck. Coupled with the missing luggage racks you wonder if they've shot themselves in the foot by putting them on the 727?
As mentioned both the JET E400MMCs and E400EVs seat 27 on the lower deck. The E400EVs have two seats on each side (four in total) over the front wheels. On the upper deck the JET E400MMCs seat 47 while the E400EVs seat 43. So the total seat capacity is only a difference of 4. The lack of seatbelts will also stop them being used on Aberdeenshire school contracts, albeit they wouldn't have the range for this work anyway.

PG

Established Member
The lack of seatbelts will also stop them being used on Aberdeenshire school contracts, albeit they wouldn't have the range for this work anyway.
Another surprising omission. Save a few quid now but limits future usefulness! Who knows if they might gain some city school runs in the future which they can't use them on due to not having belts.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Another surprising omission. Save a few quid now but limits future usefulness! Who knows if they might gain some city school runs in the future which they can't use them on due to not having belts.

They already have 6 school runs in the city.

21A: Lochside Academy - Cove
22A/22B: Lochside Academy - Torry (four buses)
23A: Countesswells Primary - Countesswells

Of those only the 22A/22B requires a decker, the 21A uses the peak extra vehicle off the X60/X63 (usually an Interdeck) while the 23A is operated by an E300.

fraser158

Are Stagecoach’s Inverness timetables changing soon? I’ve heard rumblings / rumours about it but nothing on Stagecoach.com or bustimes.org.

Last edited:

E-Rail

Schools or not, I can't believe they've lasted so long given how many issues they've had (not all related to the Volvo parts admittedly), and the amount of different things that have been tried!
They've been all at Inverness (to be near the Volvo dealer there), all at Aberdeen (same reason), split between the two (to give both dealers a better crack at them), various trips away to other major service centres...etc etc.

At the very least I've always expected them to get shipped off to an area with lots of Volvos (East Midlands), and possibly converted to open top to avoid some of the body issues.....

Old post to bump admittedly but what issues exactly have the B9TL OLympuses had out of interest? Reading through the comments, it's hard to believe you are discussing the same buses that we sent to the moon and back at Ensignbus over 13 years with virtually zero breakdowns. Out of the 16 at Ensign, only one ever needed unit replacement. Most had covered pushing 600k miles and much of that high speed running on long range rail replacement. Structurally, again, they had no issues, although I do know the Scania versions (riding on bricks for suspension) were more likely to rattle themselves apart. Anybody who has had the misfortune to endure a Go South Coast Olympus will know that for themselves, but reading about 16945-8, is the first I can say I have heard about the B9TL version having serious problems.