• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

If i'm not mistaken 53623 is at Moffat, although i'm not sure if it's actually seen any use as it's still in Citylink livery iirc.

12 years isn't young for a coach, and those Panthers were and are pretty knackered.
21/22 Scrapped
23/26/27/29/30 Moffat & Williamson
24 Unknown
25 Ensign
28 Tain ( Stagecoach Highlands )
31 Unknown Last Seen in Storage at Wick But was Withdrawn.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
For completeness here's the current status of all the Volvo B9R Plaxton Panther 2s which operated with Stagecoach North Scotland.

SV11 Batch:
53621: Scrapped
53622: Scrapped
53623: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53624: Scrapped
53625: Last reported at Ensignbus Sales
53626: Sold to Moffat & Williamson

SV61 Batch:
53627: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53628: Stagecoach Highlands (Inverness)
53629: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53630: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53631: Stagecoach Highlands (Withdrawn)
53632: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53633: Stagecoach Highlands (Withdrawn)
53634: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53635: Sold to Bland's

KX61 Batch:
53636: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53637: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53638: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53639: Sold to Bland's
53640: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53641: Stagecoach Bluebird (Peterhead)
53642: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53643: Stagecoach Bluebird (Peterhead)
53644: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53645: Stagecoach Bluebird (Elgin)

route101

Established Member
For completeness here's the current status of all the Volvo B9R Plaxton Panther 2s which operated with Stagecoach North Scotland.

SV11 Batch:
53621: Scrapped
53622: Scrapped
53623: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53624: Scrapped
53625: Last reported at Ensignbus Sales
53626: Sold to Moffat & Williamson

SV61 Batch:
53627: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53628: Stagecoach Highlands (Inverness)
53629: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53630: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53631: Stagecoach Highlands (Withdrawn)
53632: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53633: Stagecoach Highlands (Withdrawn)
53634: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53635: Sold to Bland's

KX61 Batch:
53636: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53637: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53638: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53639: Sold to Bland's
53640: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53641: Stagecoach Bluebird (Peterhead)
53642: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53643: Stagecoach Bluebird (Peterhead)
53644: Sold to Moffat & Williamson
53645: Stagecoach Bluebird (Elgin)
I seen one in yellow on the 10 service on Friday. Surprised they are still going.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Peterhead regularly use one on the S61 Cruden Bay - Ellon service which then does a southbound run from Fraserburgh on the 0930 X67 departure.
Indeed, Buchan still have 53641/43. The S61 is down as a Panther board. The duty itself has excessive dead mileage which is a common issue at Bluebird ever since they switched to using the Optibus scheduling system, i'd hate to think how much revenue they've lost just because of that alone.

The worst example has to be one of the Huntly Academy buses which now runs dead to/from Aberdeen in the morning and afternoon; previously this ran in service as an additional short working service 10.
I think i mentioned it before but the Kemnay Academy buses (one of which used to work the 14:00 X20 from Aberdeen) also now run dead meaning there's no buses from Aberdeen to Kintore or Kemnay between 13:00 and 15:00, despite the fact three different buses mirror the route out of service (two to Kemnay and one to Alford) departing Aberdeen around 14:00!

PG

Established Member
The duty itself has excessive dead mileage which is a common issue at Bluebird ever since they switched to using the Optibus scheduling system, i'd hate to think how much revenue they've lost just because of that alone.
About time someone with the appropriate level of clout called out this nonsense! I'm sure most drivers could point out where the easy amendments to timetables can be made, like that Kemnay example you gave.

mbonwick

Established Member
I wonder how many miles 53636-45 (the KX61s) have clocked up now? They were the original Megabus Europe vehicles before spending time on the domestic network, so they must have a lot of miles on the clocks!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Unfortunately this didn't come as a surprise at all. I'm sure the fire starter nature of the 58 plate Enviro400s notably 'the prodigy' 19373 has been covered here before, of course over worked vehicles combined with poor maintenance is never going to end well. This is 19378s second thermal incident following a minor one just south of Stonehaven in 2021.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Having looked at the photo I'd wager that it's its second and last!
I wouldn't be 100% sure on that until it has actually left for scrap! The bits of it left that weren't collected by dustpan and brush are currently sat at Tullos.

OptareLover

On Moderation
Which livery do you prefer on the E400EVs? The "Stagecoach Electric" livery (71/22 plates), or the Local livery (72 plates)? I personally like the one used on the 71/22 plates.

I hope Moffat & Williamson are enjoying how many they're getting!

Gaelan

If i'm not mistaken 53623 is at Moffat, although i'm not sure if it's actually seen any use as it's still in Citylink livery iirc.
Moffat have had a bus in TfL livery driving around St Andrews for months, so I wouldn't read too much into that :)

OptareLover

On Moderation
Moffat have had a bus in TfL livery driving around St Andrews for months, so I wouldn't read too much into that :)
Speaking of Moffat repaints, whenever they normally get a bus, they don't repaint it into their standard livery. They leave it white or repaint it into the ugly unfinished cream livery. Or in this case, leave it in TFL!

It’s still got all the Covid-era TfL signage up on the inside too.
I believe one of their former Stagecoach Fife buses still have the Stagecoach Covid era stuff up!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Indeed looks quite the state!

In fairness all of the vehicles sold from Stagecoach North Scotland have been repainted prior to entering use at Moffat. Albeit given the repaints are being done by the same company in Brechin that Stagecoach use I suspect its Stagecoach covering the cost of repaint as part of the vehicle sale.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Anyone wishing to discuss Moffat and Williamson should do so in a separate thread - it's off-topic here. There is also a separate thread for Stagecoach East Scotland.

Tayway

Not sure if these have been posted yet – looks like the return of a seperate Aviemore to Cairngorm service, presumably due to increased footfall now the funicular is open again. Apparently this will be operated by Interdeck coaches specially adapted to carry skiing equipment!

Also new is a seasonal Aviemore to Dufftown service, connecting at Aberlour for Elgin. Hopefully this sees a bit of usage as there is currently no connection between the Moray and Highland sections of the Spey Valley. A few extensions to Dalwhinnie and Laggan have been tacked on to the 39 as well.

A few changes on Skye too but no timetable yet.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Not sure if these have been posted yet – looks like the return of a seperate Aviemore to Cairngorm service, presumably due to increased footfall now the funicular is open again. Apparently this will be operated by Interdeck coaches specially adapted to carry skiing equipment!

Also new is a seasonal Aviemore to Dufftown service, connecting at Aberlour for Elgin. Hopefully this sees a bit of usage as there is currently no connection between the Moray and Highland sections of the Spey Valley. A few extensions to Dalwhinnie and Laggan have been tacked on to the 39 as well.

A few changes on Skye too but no timetable yet.
The Interdeck in question is 54210.

Red Onion

I was chatting about night buses the other day and it had me wondering if the festive trial run of night services out of Aberdeen was likely to lead to any further trials of services. Has anyone heard anything? Would be good for the nighttime economy if they were to come back.