• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The 10 seems to have E400MMCs on it often as well, there's at least two on it today.
I've noticed that quite a lot lately. I wouldn't fancy having to travel all the way to Aberdeen on one. It's certainly a big step backwards from when the Elites were new and carried the City Connect branding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
They were operated by coaches, I don’t think it was too long ago they switched over.

The processing of passengers at the bus station is a real gripe of mine. I use the Buchan services quite regularly which rarely depart on time for this very reason. Frequently queues can be 15-20 deep and it’s excruciatingly slow at boarding time with large numbers buying tickets, not helped by drivers attending buses just a minute or two before the scheduled departure time (not a dig, there could be valid reasons). I do feel that for some services, such as Buchan, Deeside, Airport etc, that roving ticket sellers would speed up this process immensely. It used to be done at Ellon P&R and worked well.
Yes, the driver for our 201 arrived at the bus when the bus was due to depart. I see this all over but drivers could be on break or late from other services.

The 201 I had was a 57 plate E400MMC with low back seats. Most people got off by Ballater. I noticed at Aberdeen there is no overall display showing what service from what stance.

The 201 I had was a 57 plate E400MMC with low back seats. Most people got off by Ballater. I noticed at Aberdeen there is no overall display showing what service from what stance.
There is a small display just inside the shopping centre, which I think shows all Stagecoach services, but it only shows the next three or four services to depart which isn't very helpful when there's a service every couple of minutes. I was waiting about an hour and 20 minutes for an M96, didn't know from what stance, waited for it to come up on the above screen about 10 minutes before departure, screen said Stance 4 (I think), I go to stance 4 and the screen there says Cancelled. If I'd known that I'd have taken the previous service 10 which I'd stood and watched leave while waiting for the M96 (unaware the M96 was cancelled).

Volvodart

Established Member
What is said process?
If it is electric coaches, they would be subject to Scottish Government funding, I would have thought, so we will know if they are successful in mid December, if the evaluation runs to plan.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
There is a small display just inside the shopping centre, which I think shows all Stagecoach services, but it only shows the next three or four services to depart which isn't very helpful when there's a service every couple of minutes. I was waiting about an hour and 20 minutes for an M96, didn't know from what stance, waited for it to come up on the above screen about 10 minutes before departure, screen said Stance 4 (I think), I go to stance 4 and the screen there says Cancelled. If I'd known that I'd have taken the previous service 10 which I'd stood and watched leave while waiting for the M96 (unaware the M96 was cancelled).
There was a display just inside the bus station but was out of action. I find the Megabus/Citylink area a bit messy and with little seating. I am not sure what the solution is, as the bus station is great location next to the railway station.

Red Onion

I don’t really know what the solution is either. The space constraints are far too much to do much in the way of new areas. Though customer information screens would be a cheap addition that would go some way to helping.

I don’t really know what the solution is either. The space constraints are far too much to do much in the way of new areas. Though customer information screens would be a cheap addition that would go some way to helping.
Buses on short layover: stop paying drivers from 10 minutes after the service arrives, rather than 0 minutes, and after unloading have them move the vehicle to a parking space. Pay drivers from 10 minutes before departure, instead of 0 minutes, and have them move the bus from the parking space to a free stand to load, starting at least 5 minutes before booked departure time to ensure on time departure.
Buses on long layover: find an area suitable for parking outwith the bus station. Could you repurpose some of the surface Union Square car park? That would still leave the multistorey for cars.

On the passenger side: a big screen in an obvious location showing at least the next 10 departures. Could you renumber the stances as 1 A&B, 2 A&B, etc.? So that outgoing services can just be allocated a number, and that leaves a degree of last-minute flexibility for the controllers in that the service can use either of the lettered bays?

PG

Established Member
Buses on long layover: find an area suitable for parking outwith the bus station. Could you repurpose some of the surface Union Square car park? That would still leave the multistorey for cars.
The old (pre Union Square) bus station had a sizeable walled parking area to the back (south) which IIRC could hold 20 full size buses plus there were a few bays against the east wall of the site behind the departure stances too.
Also the drop off lane meant most services didn't need to occupy a stance to offload passengers so could park if on layover. Back then most drivers took out the same bus they came in with as most non Aberdeen depots' drivers took their breaks at their home depot.

IMHO insufficient thought was given to the layout of the new bus station, a not uncommon theme with bus stations elsewhere!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Buchan based Enviro300s 27533 and 27534 have both been withdrawn. This brings an end to the operation of the original "Inverurie Connect" fleet (27532-41) at Bluebird. Of the batch 27532 remains operation with Cumbria, 27537 at Highland and 27539/40 at East Scotland.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
53643 is back in service at Buchan on the X60 today.
They had been planning to reinstate it back at the end of June. Buchan ideally needs more coaches as there's more Buchan Xpress runs than there are Interdecks.

It also doesn't help that the existing fleet is quite tired and not all that reliable. Hence its not uncommon to see 15 year old Enviro200s appearing in their place...

PG

Established Member
They had been planning to reinstate it back at the end of June. Buchan ideally needs more coaches as there's more Buchan Xpress runs than there are Interdecks.

It also doesn't help that the existing fleet is quite tired and not all that reliable. Hence its not uncommon to see 15 year old Enviro200s appearing in their place...
I wonder if that will still be the case in a weeks time or if the service reductions will match the PVR with the number of coaches?

I often see a works shuttle service in Buchan operated by Interdecks which seems an odd vehicle allocation unless its the only available vehicle...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I wonder if that will still be the case in a weeks time or if the service reductions will match the PVR with the number of coaches?

I often see a works shuttle service in Buchan operated by Interdecks which seems an odd vehicle allocation unless its the only available vehicle...
The changes see an increase in the coach requirement as the X69 now interworks with the X60/X63 and X67/X68 while there's a Fraserburgh duty on the X65 which interworks off the X67. The works shuttle service you mention will be the Macduff Shellfish runs, most of those runs interwork with an X60/X63 and are booked to be an Interdeck.

The vehicles departing the fleet after the changes will all be low floors.

mbonwick

Established Member
Looks like ex-South Gloucester Scania Levante 59223 has turned up at Inverness. I wonder if more of that batch are expected?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looks like ex-South Gloucester Scania Levante 59223 has turned up at Inverness. I wonder if more of that batch are expected?
Both 59223 and 59226 had latterly been operating out of Perth on Citylink work. At present 59226 is in storage at Duffshill near Aberdeen. I can't see Bluebird using it so not entirely sure why it has come up here.

I haven't found anything on the news about it but I've heard that 19216 caught fire today

Marty82

Is an integrated timetable going to be published for the routes which Stagecoach has lost, advising of the new operators for ease of use of the travelling public?

I'm speaking as a business owner on these routes whose staff and guests use them. In my case I'm hoping Stagecoach, Watermill and Aberdeenshire Council do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member
ex-South Gloucester Scania Levante 59223 has turned up at Inverness.
One, I assume this one, has just come into Aberdeen from the north. I have just realised it was HH Coaches H12 HHT going away to do a M92 service!

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
59226 has moved from Duffshill to Peterhead, so if it is to see service I'd assume its there... Seems a bizzare move given it's completely nonstandard.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
53731/4 seem pretty reliable. Could they not get more of them?
The Volvo half of them may be reliable (if a bit rough in 53734s case) but the Caetano half is well past it. They're very tired inside while the Toilet, aircon and power sockets don't work and the doors often take multiple attempts to open/close. Even a trip to Inverurie on one was more than enough, never mind all the way up to Huntly and beyond... The only reason Bluebird has really taken them on is because they're already Euro 6.

19172 has now arrived at Tullos while 19558 is at Peterhead, it is thought Buchan are getting 19552/58 to replace 19170/71.

Last edited:
The Volvo half of them may be reliable (if a bit rough in 53734s case) but the Caetano half is well past it. They're very tired inside while the Toilet, aircon and power sockets don't work and the doors often take multiple attempts to open/close. Even a trip to Inverurie on one was more than enough, never mind all the way up to Huntly and beyond... The only reason Bluebird has really taken them on is because they're already Euro 6.

19172 has now arrived at Tullos while 19558 is at Peterhead, it is thought Buchan are getting 19552/58 to replace 19170/71.
What about 10525? It has recently left Inverness.

mbonwick

Established Member
Both 59223 and 59226 had latterly been operating out of Perth on Citylink work. At present 59226 is in storage at Duffshill near Aberdeen. I can't see Bluebird using it so not entirely sure why it has come up here.
Looks like 59223 is intended to be used on school work alongside the Explorers. Possibly to try and standardise chassis types at Tain?
59226 is listed as on loan from Highlands to Peterhead for "campaign float", which I'd take to be some mods to the Interdecks??

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Looks like 59223 is intended to be used on school work alongside the Explorers. Possibly to try and standardise chassis types at Tain?
There isn't any requirement for it at Tain, it has been working out of Inverness since it arrived. I wouldn't think there's much if any commonality between the two types other than them having a Scania badge?
59226 is listed as on loan from Highlands to Peterhead for "campaign float", which I'd take to be some mods to the Interdecks??
The Interdecks are coming off for new anti-roll bars.