• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Repaint Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Dreamer

No one will notice until the buses get cascaded to the other regions and they have the different fronts.

The front of the streetlite in the new livery looks terrible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
So, far from simplifying things with a standard livery, here in Lancaster & Morecambe we have buses on the same route in BeachBall, Manchester Green, Lakes Green & Blue, and the new Rocking Horse white. Its not long since we had one or two in the Cumbrian version of Green Beachball as well.
Meanwhile down the road in Preston any of these could work in on the 40/42 while they've got Gold, Beachball and Rocking Horse all on the Southport / Liverpool route.
Unified image? Yeah, right.

py_megapixel

Established Member
So, far from simplifying things with a standard livery, here in Lancaster & Morecambe we have buses on the same route in BeachBall, Manchester Green, Lakes Green & Blue, and the new Rocking Horse white. Its not long since we had one or two in the Cumbrian version of Green Beachball as well.
Meanwhile down the road in Preston any of these could work in on the 40/42 while they've got Gold, Beachball and Rocking Horse all on the Southport / Liverpool route.
Unified image? Yeah, right.
Um... while I understand your point, I'm not sure you can judge the outcome of a project by picking a random point in the middle of it... once the repaints are all done it'll be more consistent.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Um... while I understand your point, I'm not sure you can judge the outcome of a project by picking a random point in the middle of it... once the repaints are all done it'll be more consistent.

Except it won't as each opco are painting them different, Highland can't even get the rear beachball in the right place...

py_megapixel

Established Member
Except it won't as each opco are painting them different, Highland can't even get the rear beachball in the right place...
I don't believe that is the point.

As much as enthusiasts love to nitpick stuff, how many regular passengers are going to notice slight variations in the application of the livery? And of the minority who do, how many people are going to say "I know it has an enormous STAGECOACH logo on it, and the design is pretty much the same... but the front bumper is orange rather than white, so it might not be a Stagecoach bus."

It's possible to have a consistent image without every vehicle looking completely identical.

randyrippley

Established Member
The point I'm making is that rather than simplifying things, they are actually adding confusion by increasing the number of liveries, a confusion thats going to be with us for some years. Years ago the former head of Morecambe depot told me a respray lasted three years, a hand paint job four - so at the time they only did hand repaints. If that is still true you have at least four years of confusion to come, by which time they'll decide white wasn't a clever idea

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the new liveries are now being rolled out rather than just being "on the cards", the thread title has been updated to reflect this.

CBlue

The point I'm making is that rather than simplifying things, they are actually adding confusion by increasing the number of liveries, a confusion thats going to be with us for some years. Years ago the former head of Morecambe depot told me a respray lasted three years, a hand paint job four - so at the time they only did hand repaints. If that is still true you have at least four years of confusion to come, by which time they'll decide white wasn't a clever idea

Surely the same logic applied every time another operator has been taken over and their fleet repainted? If rebranding caused as much confusion as you suggest, surely they'd still be painting everything in stripes....

fgwrich

Established Member
I don't believe that is the point.

As much as enthusiasts love to nitpick stuff, how many regular passengers are going to notice slight variations in the application of the livery? And of the minority who do, how many people are going to say "I know it has an enormous STAGECOACH logo on it, and the design is pretty much the same... but the front bumper is orange rather than white, so it might not be a Stagecoach bus."

It's possible to have a consistent image without every vehicle looking completely identical.

I'm guessing from that, you haven't seen Stagecoach Highland. There's variation, and then there's variation. I think the painters must have been looking at at Boomerang...

I've also seen Wrightbuses with totally white fronts, blue bumper, BIG LOGO, little logo.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm guessing from that, you haven't seen Stagecoach Highland. There's variation, and then there's variation. I think the painters must have been looking at at Boomerang...

I've also seen Wrightbuses with totally white fronts, blue bumper, BIG LOGO, little logo.

I've seen the former D&E Streetlites quite a few times and I hadn't even noticed the dodgy livery, to be honest. Having said that I've certainly noticed some of the other horrors that ply the streets of Inverness.

fgwrich

Established Member
I've seen the former D&E Streetlites quite a few times and I hadn't even noticed the dodgy livery, to be honest. Having said that I've certainly noticed some of the other horrors that ply the streets of Inverness.

I don't know how they managed to do it to be honest, but some of the results certainly are amusing. For example, I'm not sure how they've managed to get away with such a disjointed livery on the Wrights, where the orange line doesn't connect! :lol:

py_megapixel

Established Member

But none of those photos are carrying the new livery. I suspect this is exactly the kind of inconsistency the rebrand aims to address.

fgwrich

Established Member
But none of those photos are carrying the new livery. I suspect this is exactly the kind of inconsistency the rebrand aims to address.

But, if Highland are this clever at their liveries so far, how do you bet they will totally stick to the standard stagecoach template for the bland new scheme? Indeed they haven't already - with at least one older style E400 repainted with the light blue front in the older more curvaceous beach ball style - and it actually makes the new scheme a little more bearable and smarter.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Regarding the Ex-D&E single deckers... They've once again proven that Inverness have this fantastic ability to take two identical vehicles and paint them entirely different!

fgwrich

Established Member
Regarding the Ex-D&E single deckers... They've once again proven that Inverness have this fantastic ability to take two identical vehicles and paint them entirely different.

Excellent, Thank you! :lol: There's some excellent ones in there, and I have to admit I prefer the Inverness style beach ball E200.

mbonwick

Established Member
Regarding the Ex-D&E single deckers... They've once again proven that Inverness have this fantastic ability to take two identical vehicles and paint them entirely different!

In fairness, it wasn't Inverness who painted them - they were sent out to two different contractors (Kilmarnock depot may have been one of them, I can't remember), as evidenced by the correct rear swoops rather than the usual Inverness angle. Incidentally, 37076/43012/47749 are the correct application.
It is amusing how they've managed to split just about every batch of vehicles they got from D&E between the two paintshops though!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In fairness, it wasn't Inverness who painted them - they were sent out to two different contractors (Kilmarnock depot may have been one of them, I can't remember), as evidenced by the correct rear swoops rather than the usual Inverness angle. Incidentally, 37076/43012/47749 are the correct application.
It is amusing how they've managed to split just about every batch of vehicles they got from D&E between the two paintshops though!

The ones with all the orange/red above the blue were done at Seafield, Inverness haven't used external contractors for repaints since around 2011 when the depot was up for redevelopment. 21208 and 47749 look like Perth jobs to me (or whoever do their repaints). In the "NScot" region Aberdeen, Inverness and more recently Elgin all have paint facilities, although this is perhaps more a topic for the NScot thread!

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Surely the same logic applied every time another operator has been taken over and their fleet repainted? If rebranding caused as much confusion as you suggest, surely they'd still be painting everything in stripes....

a takeover just means the repaint or replacement of the vehicles at a limited number of depots, and the elimination of just one paint style, wheras with Stagecoach you're looking at the facelifting of the whole national fleet

CBlue

a takeover just means the repaint or replacement of the vehicles at a limited number of depots, and the elimination of just one paint style, wheras with Stagecoach you're looking at the facelifting of the whole national fleet
Yes, I understand that. So your view is that a large-scale atonal rebranding is confusing for passengers but repainting a local fleet isn't? Have I read that right?

Anyway, as amusing as the inconsistencies are in how different depots and contractors paint the livery on, it's inevitable regardless of what the livery is - and the average passenger isn't going to notice or care. :)

py_megapixel

Established Member
I can't understand what all the fuss is about.

Stagecoach have two options
  1. The current inconsistent mix of beachball variants and various other brands, indefinitely - i.e. not going ahead with the rebrand
  2. A slightly more inconsistent mix of the old brands plus the new beachball variant, for a few years, then much greater consistency - i.e. doing the rebrand
I think it's pretty clear why they went with 2

I too am in doubt about it given that Stagecoach are already making some of the same mistakes that they did with the old one (everything from the "people powered" mosaic livery to the specific green one for electrics, which is effectively the same thing as the green for hybrids that I thought they wanted rid of but I digress), but I think the intent is pretty clear, and complaining about inconsistency in the old brand when even now a new one is being rolled out seems a little futile to me.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The X5 (which won't I believe be getting the horrid school bus yellow)
Sorry to drag this over to another thread, but it's a way off topic for the original - but really? Assuming we're talking about the same X5 (Penrith-Keswick-Cockermouth-Workington) that seems to be exactly the type of service it's designed for, and it doesn't even usually share fleet with vastly different routes...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sorry to drag this over to another thread, but it's a way off topic for the original - but really? Assuming we're talking about the same X5 (Penrith-Keswick-Cockermouth-Workington) that seems to be exactly the type of service it's designed for, and it doesn't even usually share fleet with vastly different routes...

I would assume that @Bletchleyite is discussing the X5 Cambridge to Oxford that already has it's own bespoke livery

fgwrich

Established Member
I would assume that @Bletchleyite is discussing the X5 Cambridge to Oxford that already has it's own bespoke livery

Indeed, like the loss of "The Kings City", this unified livery scheme looks terrible and makes them feel even less connected to the local areas they service - a total opposite of what First are currently achieving. The yellow does have the appearance of a school bus, no matter how stagecoach try to dress it up.

fgwrich

Established Member
What one? This one? :lol:

That's certainly different, but it's this one I quite like with the additional white bit on it. Much as the old style front on the new livery actually looks better - and is another Scotland special.

Edit, I see the North East has a similar front with more white, less blue on it and a smart black band along the window line. So another variation, and possibly the smartest yet - although its still not that great a livery.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
In fact, looking at the North East repaints, they all seem to retain the black band. So further inconsistencies - but a smarter touch.

Whereas the Devon ones seem to be continuing without them.

But...God it looks awful on the Darts!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
In fact, looking at the North East repaints, they all seem to retain the black band. So further inconsistencies - but a smarter touch.

Whereas the Devon ones seem to be continuing without them.

I'd rather they just kept the headlights and centre panels white, like this:

fgwrich

Established Member
I'd rather they just kept the headlights and centre panels white, like this:

Exactly! There's an ever increasing growing list of inconsistencies emerging, as I see the North Devon Wave E400s are now returning with black headlights / small white panel / no window band. All in all, It's getting worse than First's attempt at the 2012 "Olympia" scheme at this rate! Thankfully they have now seen sense and modified with just the flying bars.

And thanks - that's the Scottish E400 I've been thinking / mentioning but couldn't find. New livery, old style front. A lot smarter than the silliness we've seen so far!

GoneSouth

Exactly! There's an ever increasing growing list of inconsistencies emerging, as I see the North Devon Wave E400s are now returning with black headlights / small white panel / no window band. All in all, It's getting worse than First's attempt at the 2012 "Olympia" scheme at this rate! Thankfully they have now seen sense and modified with just the flying bars.

And thanks - that's the Scottish E400 I've been thinking / mentioning but couldn't find. New livery, old style front. A lot smarter than the silliness we've seen so far!
1 black door and 1 white door too, maybe we’ll have the blue, orange and green variants soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.