• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South West - Fleet News & Discussion

embers25

Established Member
The Stagecoach website shows a number of changes from 10 April. Reading the list these seem quite positive - while there are some frequency cuts there are a number of summer increases - eg Torbay 12 back to every 10 minutes, 122 and 222 reintroduced, 95 reintroduced for Exmouth, increases in the North Devon 21/A to Westward Ho! and Appledore, and the open top 21C to Croyde Bay and Georgeham. The 92 (Dartmouth to Totnes) is not being withdrawn - I had seen speculation elsewhere that it was. The 271 to Widecombe in the Moor returns as last year. Some cuts on Exeter city services but others are not mentioned so it isn't clear if the temporary changes above are staying or reversed, but night service being added on Friday & Saturday nights. Timetables are not yet available. Looks like there may be a variation in the balance of the operation of the Gold service between Torquay and Plymouth.

To call the massive cull of Exeter city services as positive is interesting. All other 'improvements' just return other areas to normal summer frequency so hardly improved. Slashing evening and Sunday city services to hourly to provide drivers for a pointless night service is ludicrous logic by Exeter City Council though no surprise given the RMT muppet in charge of the council.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

Stagecoach has now won the new county council contract after withdrawing its Mon-Sat commercial service.
That explains matters, glad there is a county council willing to tender a contract which is only 'minor changes'
To call the massive cull of Exeter city services as positive is interesting. All other 'improvements' just return other areas to normal summer frequency so hardly improved. Slashing evening and Sunday city services to hourly to provide drivers for a pointless night service is ludicrous logic by Exeter City Council though no surprise given the RMT muppet in charge of the council.
I am not probably familiar enough with the city services to comment fairly but it seemed most of the cuts were in the evening and the daytime services were slightly improved from the current situation. If the K largely parallels the I/J then it makes sense to have the same 30-minute frequency. Assuming they can manage it, better to have a reliable reduced service than the current cutbacks.

I accept that the additions are pretty much only the same as previous summers but presumably they think they will have the staff to run these services, which are additional to what is running now. However the 22 from Torquay to St Marychurch is every 20 minutes and previously the 122 has also been every 20 minutes and interworked. At every 30 minutes that can't happen!

Peter Philips

That explains matters, glad there is a county council willing to tender a contract which is only 'minor changes'
Yes, the 92 minor change seems to be seven (not eight) services each way requiring a single bus so I assume the additional morning one off the school 110 is no longer required.

embers25

Established Member

I am not probably familiar enough with the city services to comment fairly but it seemed most of the cuts were in the evening and the daytime services were slightly improved from the current situation. If the K largely parallels the I/J then it makes sense to have the same 30-minute frequency. Assuming they can manage it, better to have a reliable reduced service than the current cutbacks.

I accept that the additions are pretty much only the same as previous summers but presumably they think they will have the staff to run these services, which are additional to what is running now. However the 22 from Torquay to St Marychurch is every 20 minutes and previously the 122 has also been every 20 minutes and interworked. At every 30 minutes that can't happen!
The I parallels the K for 10 mins of an hour circuit so hardly a combined route. The I was every 10 then 15 then 20 now 30 and is always full now. The A was 10 now 30. The E1 and E2 every 15 now 30.
They are picking up tendered work at the expense of city frequencies and get why but its fae from improving.

The I parallels the K for 10 mins of an hour circuit so hardly a combined route. The I was every 10 then 15 then 20 now 30 and is always full now. The A was 10 now 30. The E1 and E2 every 15 now 30.
They are picking up tendered work at the expense of city frequencies and get why but its fae from improving.
The A and E need to be increased

Xavi

Not so long ago both the E and F serving Exwick were every 10 mins. The A is now deckers and will be combined with the E in the evening, perhaps from April the Es will be deckers too compensating for the 30 min frequency? It certainly needs to happen - regular reports of rammed buses leaving passengers behind.

Ridercross

What has this to do with the City Council? The Stagecoach website clearly says it is partnership with Devon County Council which is hardly surprising as Public Transport is a County not City council function.

embers25

Established Member
What has this to do with the City Council? The Stagecoach website clearly says it is partnership with Devon County Council which is hardly surprising as Public Transport is a County not City council function.
It was the city demanding this from Devon County Council. Also the city that built the awful unfit for purpose bus station that is so small buses never go from the right bay leading to missed services and further passenger loss. On the A the inter working means minis on E and F and A as the F2 it also inter works with has a low narrow bridge in Whipton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not so long ago both the E and F serving Exwick were every 10 mins. The A is now deckers and will be combined with the E in the evening, perhaps from April the Es will be deckers too compensating for the 30 min frequency? It certainly needs to happen - regular reports of rammed buses leaving passengers behind.
They wouldn't put Es as deckers. During storm Eunice, 15784 was on the E routes and found it really difficult to get around Exwick

Xavi

They wouldn't put Es as deckers. During storm Eunice, 15784 was on the E routes and found it really difficult to get around Exwick
In a storm.... Farm Hill could be a problem, but that was served by schools deckers until they merged some areas into one route. The rest of the route had deckers in the 70s/80s. At 30-min frequency passengers are being left behind with Optares, so something has to change.

In a storm.... Farm Hill could be a problem, but that was served by schools deckers until they merged some areas into one route. The rest of the route had deckers in the 70s/80s. At 30-min frequency passengers are being left behind with Optares, so something has to change.
I say that they could use 36s but they are used depending on the parked cars

geoffk

Established Member

I live just off Pinhoe Road and use the 1/1A/1C, I/J and K. Before the recent cuts, I/J and K both ran every 20 minutes but from town they were very close together, indeed they sometimes got to Whipton together. Now the I/J are every 30 minutes but K still every 20 so there's a clash once an hour in each direction. The latest change is to reduce K to every 30 minutes so I hope Stagecoach will be able to run a 15-minute service over the common section. I've been seeing some quite full off-peak buses recently and others above are reporting passengers left behind.

Evening and Sunday cuts mean only hourly on many routes so if I go out to a timed event (a concert or a meeting) there's a fair chance of having a long wait. I assume it's cheaper for 3 or 4 passengers to use a taxi than pay bus fares, which makes it surprising that priority is being given to night buses rather than maintain what we've got.

Yesterday saw only 48007 and 48008 on the E1/2 and only 48004 and 47103 on the F1/2 whereas today saw 48004 48006 48014 and 47103 on the E1/2 and 48007 48011 and 48013 on the F1/2. All the 48's in exeter saw service today except 48009/010 and 012 which are long-term out of use

47091 entered service in Exeter yesterday on the F1/2. Its first visit since December 2015 I believe

embers25

Established Member
I saw that the E1 and E2 had already switched to single on sunday, I'm guessing ready for the inter working with the A. Still wondering how a single will work on the F2 and F1 though as it inter works with that too from this weekend.

I saw that the E1 and E2 had already switched to single on sunday, I'm guessing ready for the inter working with the A. Still wondering how a single will work on the F2 and F1 though as it inter works with that too from this weekend.
I personally think that they should go back to interworking the E/F1/F2 like what happened before the Covid-19 Pandemic

Torquay based 34870 caught fire in Exeter whilst operating the 1230 39 service to Newton Abbot.
I've heard reports that it is completely gutted.

Last edited:

Providing another update of the fleet,

48012 has reentered service today after 5 and a half months out of service. Last time she only lasted 12 days out before breaking down (12th-24th November).
10452, 10454, 15932 and 19065 are all reportedly being stripped down in Exeter. Rumours are that 10452, and either 10454 or 15932 are getting the jubilee treatment.

Providing another update of the fleet,

48012 has reentered service today after 5 and a half months out of service. Last time she only lasted 12 days out before breaking down (12th-24th November).
10452, 10454, 15932 and 19065 are all reportedly being stripped down in Exeter. Rumours are that 10452, and either 10454 or 15932 are getting the jubilee treatment.
10452 is definitely getting the jubilee livery.

MarkC

Definitely seen a jubilee decker on the 1 route in Plymouth lots over the last week or so

embers25

Established Member
July 31 Exeter changes are appearing now on Traveline. All previous reductions remain with substantial further reductions as follows:

All night services bar Uni on Wed-Fri have gone already!
E1/E2 - Can't see much change.
I/J/T - Minimal changes.
K and L do appear to be cancelled which can't be right.
4/4A cancelled between Cranbrook and Axminster and on Sunday increased to every 30 minutes.
5A/B/C timetable doesn't download but appears that 5A and 5B are cancelled so far.
9 - No Honiton-Sidmouth on Sunday.
9A Terminates at Seaton not Lyme Regis and on Sunday hourly to Seaton instead of hourly to Sidford only plus a couple of extensions.
56 Reduced to hourly with no Airport shorts.
Green: No peak extension to Sowton Industrial Estate any more.
RED now serves all stops running every 20 minutes partially replacing the K.

I'm guessing more changes and reductions to come :(

MarkC

Is it just Exeter services changing in July or do we expect changes/cuts in Plymouth and Torbay too?

embers25

Established Member
Haven't checked the rest but those changing have had their end dates set to July 30 it seems. Plymouth show nothing yet.

MarkC

Dreadful from Stagecoach.
What is? Unfortunately all operators are doing the same. Major cutbacks coming from Citybus/ Go Ahead in Plymouth coming September following those already done this year

Does anyone know if Falcon will still be sold now SC not merging with National Express?

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
What is? Unfortunately all operators are doing the same. Major cutbacks coming from Citybus/ Go Ahead in Plymouth coming September following those already done this year

Does anyone know if Falcon will still be sold now SC not merging with National Express?
Falcon staying as far as the drivers said. Torbay not showing any changes yet either. Given the 57 can't cope now on wet days every 30 mins, on hot summer days its gonna be ugly and the 56's can be full and standing due to Amazon. Saw a 4 yesterday showing bus full.
The I varies from Decker to minibus and so it too can be impossible to board when a mini.

Falcon staying as far as the drivers said. Torbay not showing any changes yet either. Given the 57 can't cope now on wet days every 30 mins, on hot summer days its gonna be ugly and the 56's can be full and standing due to Amazon. Saw a 4 yesterday showing bus full.
The I varies from Decker to minibus and so it too can be impossible to board when a mini.
Optare Solos are breaking down left right and centre before returning to service the next day and breaking down again.

DaveHarries

Established Member
July 31 Exeter changes are appearing now on Traveline. All previous reductions remain with substantial further reductions as follows:
[.....]
9A Terminates at Seaton not Lyme Regis
I fail to see the reasoning behind this one: I have used the 9A all the way from Exeter to Lyme Regis and the ridership has been good on the Seaton - Lyme Regis section so that will be a nuisance for quite a few people and I will be surprised if there isn't a reaction to this one. One pointer might be that getting buses through Lyme Regis may be proving a tight squeeze but if that is the case then SCSW could simply use the car park as a terminus which I have known them do once before.

Not surprised about the 4/4A as the train is probably quicker.

Dave

didbygraham

All night services bar Uni on Wed-Fri have gone already!
E1/E2 - Can't see much change.
I/J/T - Minimal changes.
K and L do appear to be cancelled which can't be right.
4/4A cancelled between Cranbrook and Axminster and on Sunday increased to every 30 minutes.
5A/B/C timetable doesn't download but appears that 5A and 5B are cancelled so far.
9 - No Honiton-Sidmouth on Sunday.
9A Terminates at Seaton not Lyme Regis and on Sunday hourly to Seaton instead of hourly to Sidford only plus a couple of extensions.
56 Reduced to hourly with no Airport shorts.
Green: No peak extension to Sowton Industrial Estate any more.
RED now serves all stops running every 20 minutes partially replacing the K.

I'm guessing more changes and reductions to come :(
The service registrations for the K & L have been cancelled so it probably is right.

embers25

Established Member
The service registrations for the K & L have been cancelled so it probably is right.
There is a slim chance the K and L could get merged at the Pinhoe end via Pinn Lane and be renumbered as the new housing on the K and L has section 106 to be served I thought and removing buses from both Pinhoe loop and De La Rue area seems unlikely.