• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

g4mby

77, Bristol City Centre - Thornbury (Claimed to be switching from First to Stagecoach)
I think Gloucester depot will operate this one as it would fit in well with their existing routes in the area.
I thought that Swindon still controlled the Cirencester allocation or has that changed again?
Not sure about any changes but according to mbonwick's excellent fleetcards the existing 77 (Highworth to Cirencester) is indeed operated by Swindon depot and has been for some time.

Last edited:

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think Gloucester depot will operate this one as it would fit in well with their existing routes in the area.

Not sure about any changes but according to mbonwick's excellent fleetcards the existing 77 (Highworth to Cirencester) is indeed operated by Swindon depot and has been for some time.

Not anymore went over to Stroud operation 2nd April.

lightning76

I thought that Swindon still controlled the Cirencester allocation or has that changed again?

Cirencester was indeed an outstation of Swindon, until it closed a couple of years ago. (Much to my disgust, as it was an absolute pleasure to work at).

These days all Stagecoach routes in the Ciren area are worked directly from Swindon, with the exception of the 77, 50 and a couple of market day routes which as The Walrus has said are now worked directly from Stroud.

I can confirm that the Yate routes are worked directly from Stroud as well.

Dai Corner

Established Member
We don't write much about Stagecoach South Wales here so I thought I'd type up my trip last Saturday.

The X16 will soon cease to operate after subsidies are withdrawn by Newport City Council due to lack of use. Its main purpose was to provide a service between the village of Marshfield and Cardiff. I thought I'd take my first and last ride.

I had a bit of time to fill before the 1153 X16 left Risca so decided to take the Stagecoach R1 towards Newport via Ty Sign. This was well patronised, mainly by pensioners, and I can see why as the estate is built on the side of the very steep sided valley. Only the very keen and fit would walk up from the town centre. There were glimpses of the Bristol and Somerset coasts from the top. The flags have clearly not had attention for many years as they show services R1, R3 and R6 (the latter two defunct) operated by Glyn Williams. How long since they were bought out by Stagecoach?

Alighting in Rogerstone I caught a 151 back to Risca and waited for the 1153 X16. One farepayer and one pensioner joined me as we set off. A few stops further two young mums with five children under five between them expressed some surprise at the cost of a day ticket but nevertheless decided to travel.

Passing Pye Corner station I noticed the train in the platform was full and standing.

Nobody got on or off before Marshfield village where two pensioners and one farepayer got on. We were soon in St Mellons where our route joined that of the frequent 30 Newport-Cardiff and Cardiff city services so I stopped counting but we arrived at Dumfries Place with about 18 passengers, including the five children, on the 24 seater bus. Not a bad load but those who joined in Cardiff had plenty of alternatives, the Risca passengers could have used the train but may not have got a seat and I was only along for the ride.

richw

Veteran Member
The new open toppers in Torbay start this weekend. However someone messed up the planning as the route goes under the low bridge on Paignton sea front. As they are only part open top they're full height at the front, and don't fit under the bridge! The full open top has a full height screen at the front so that can't neither.
Rail River Link's new open top does fit as it's not got a full height screen at the front.
As it stands all the publicity of the route is incorrect as the buses can't get along the seafront thanks to the low bridge!

embers25

Established Member
The new open toppers in Torbay start this weekend. However someone messed up the planning as the route goes under the low bridge on Paignton sea front. As they are only part open top they're full height at the front, and don't fit under the bridge! The full open top has a full height screen at the front so that can't neither.
Rail River Link's new open top does fit as it's not got a full height screen at the front.
As it stands all the publicity of the route is incorrect as the buses can't get along the seafront thanks to the low bridge!

That is a massive oversight! I also wonder how long it will be before a Hop driver forgets and deroofs?

I was wondering about the low bridges at Preston. but then I remembered a few years ago I took the picture on the link below of 18302 on Esplanade Road at the stop opposite Startfield Road which must have come under one of the bridges to get there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prideoftorbay/14117484073/

iantherev

Is this the one on Manor Road? I've been under that on 18064 with the lid on. If it's the one on Seaway Road Stagecoach haven't used that since the Scanias arrived in 2000 running via Manor Road both ways.

richw

Veteran Member
Is this the one on Manor Road? I've been under that on 18064 with the lid on. If it's the one on Seaway Road Stagecoach haven't used that since the Scanias arrived in 2000 running via Manor Road both ways.

Yes seaway road. It was part if the route 122 to allow buses to run right along the seafront. The driver stopped a few feet short of the bridge. Had a look, supplied the travelling photographer a hi-vis and had the photographer watch him reverse and turn.

carlberry

Established Member
I can confirm that the Yate routes are worked directly from Stroud as well.

Theres often a Dart size vehicle parked in Yate bus station. Could be a swapover, on layover or even being used as an office. Today it was Gold 66 branded 22752!

matt_splat

Theres often a Dart size vehicle parked in Yate bus station. Could be a swapover, on layover or even being used as an office. Today it was Gold 66 branded 22752!

i would guess it acts as a meal break bus Wessex use to do similar the bus then Monday - Friday i would expect does the extra 620 working into and out of Bath

g4mby

Not normal to see anything parked up on a Saturday though.
i would guess it acts as a meal break bus Wessex use to do similar the bus then Monday - Friday i would expect does the extra 620 working into and out of Bath
Almost certainly the "extra" 620 but no longer present all day like it used to be when Stagecoach first took on the 84, 85, 86 and 620.

My assumption is that in the morning (Monday to Friday) the bus runs empty from Bath, lays over in Yate for a while then goes back to Stroud. For the evening return I think the bus runs directly from Stroud to Bath.

Last edited:

matt_splat

Not normal to see anything parked up on a Saturday though.
Almost certainly the "extra" 620 but no longer present all day like it used to be when Stagecoach first took on the 84, 85, 86 and 620.

My assumption is that in the morning (Monday to Friday) the bus runs empty from Bath, lays over in Yate for a while then goes back to Stroud. For the evening return I think the bus runs directly from Stroud to Bath.

it would almost be worth adding a extra two trips a day from Bath and One into Bath to provide some kind of service instead of the bus running empty all that way

lightning76

As far as I can see the only bus scheduled to be at Yate is from 1044 until 1135. It brings drivers from Stroud and takes a couple back.

The "extra" 620 bus goes back to Stroud in the morning and comes out from Stroud again in the afternoon.

carlberry

Established Member
As far as I can see the only bus scheduled to be at Yate is from 1044 until 1135. It brings drivers from Stroud and takes a couple back.

The "extra" 620 bus goes back to Stroud in the morning and comes out from Stroud again in the afternoon.

Yep, 1117!

Hi guys!
Been a while..working on the railways means I dont get much time to do things now.

Incase you havent heard..the new Stagecoach West "Outstation" is being built next to Patchway Station, so the bristol based services will be operated from there upon completion.

Here in Cheltenham, the NHS 99 hospital bus from the racecourse - chelt general - glos royal switches to Pulhams in July and will be operating brand new midi citaro's on the route.

swifty

Established Member
Hi guys!
Been a while..working on the railways means I dont get much time to do things now.

Incase you havent heard..the new Stagecoach West "Outstation" is being built next to Patchway Station, so the bristol based services will be operated from there upon completion.

Here in Cheltenham, the NHS 99 hospital bus from the racecourse - chelt general - glos royal switches to Pulhams in July and will be operating brand new midi citaro's on the route.

Interesting - I'd heard it was going to be in the Durbin yard. I guess it could be in the old Durbin yard in Station Road, with SGB carrying out any work that needs doing. There's been some Stagecoach vehicles in there recently recovering attention.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Interesting - I'd heard it was going to be in the Durbin yard. I guess it could be in the old Durbin yard in Station Road, with SGB carrying out any work that needs doing. There's been some Stagecoach vehicles in there recently recovering attention.
I will keep an eye out. The Durbin yard is also, technically, next to Patchway station so will report back once I see anything.

Dave

g4mby

Colly405

To me, this all points to Stagecoach using the SGBC depot. Especially as SGBC now have Megabus contracts.

Regarding a depot "next to" Patchway station, there isn't anywhere with room in Station Road, as it is the self-storage then the railway yard, so I reckon it would have to be off Gypsy Patch Lane, which again points to SGBC.

Not sure how reliable the UK BUSES forum is, but the suggestion there of them "taking over a bus company in North Bristol" could also be SGBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.