• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Anyone any definitive information on whether the SEV/X14 is being reprieved or not?

New Adventure Travel will be operating the X7 Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway-Clifton-Bristol from 15 June.

NAT Group said:
We are delighted to announce that NAT Group, in partnership with TrawsCymru and Monmouthshire Council, have unveiled plans to continue the ‘Severn Express’ bus route, which is an existing bus route that operates between Chepstow and Bristol via Cribbs Causeway and Clifton.

The route, which was originally operated by First Group and then Stagecoach, was unfortunately terminated. However, after many voiced their concerns to the local authorities, NAT Group, TrawsCymru and Monmouthshire Council, have been able to find a way to take over the operation and keep the service in place for the many workers and students who use the service to commute.

NAT Group will begin operation of the Severn Express on Monday June 15th 2020, taking over where Stagecoach left off and ensuring there are no gaps in service. The route will operate via Cribbs Causeway and will enter Bristol via Clifton, which is believed to be the best possible route to avoid adverse congestion, and therefore reducing travel time.

The route will initially operate on a six-month pilot scheme, allowing us to observe and see if there are any improvements needed, such as a revised timetable that will better suit the needs of commuters and students.

Amongst the changes for the new service will be a new dedicated app, which will enable pre-booking, live vehicle tracking and advance cashless payment. It is believed that this new, easier boarding process, along with the timetable improvements, will help to generate additional patronage and a more desirable service. The route will also benefit from regular drivers who will be specially selected for the route.

Commenting on the new bus route, NAT Group Managing Director Adam Keen, said: “NAT Group are delighted to be able to provide a continuation of the established Severn Express bus route, providing connections and travel options for cross-border passengers. This is a great example of operator, local authority and Welsh Government working together for the good of the travelling public. I am sure that with the new technology, the dedicated drivers and the revised timetable, this route now has the very best possible chance of success”.

carlberry

Established Member
New Adventure Travel will be operating the X7 Chepstow-Cribbs Causeway-Clifton-Bristol from 15 June.

I cant see Clifton is going to give a fast journey for commuters, it just appears to be a way to serve Cribbs. Hopefully they'll publish a timetable sometime before it starts! It's hard to tell from the press release if it's just funded for six months as it'll be hard work just to get it part to it's pre-covid level of use in that time, which was losing money.

Marcus Fryer

I cant see Clifton is going to give a fast journey for commuters, it just appears to be a way to serve Cribbs. Hopefully they'll publish a timetable sometime before it starts! It's hard to tell from the press release if it's just funded for six months as it'll be hard work just to get it part to it's pre-covid level of use in that time, which was losing money.
There's a timetable on the NAT website. Hourly Monday to Friday between Chepstow and Marlborough St, with first two in the morning starting back from Magor and last two in the evening running to Magor. No timetable for weekend so perhaps no service then.

freetoview33

Established Member
Interesting they are aiming for 25 mins Bristol Bus Station to Cribbs Causeway! Was the same time as when it ran via the motorways non stop.

-Colly405-

This is a much more positive development than I feared.

Just gotta hope nobody gets on it in the Bus Station trying to get to Nailsea or Clevedon!

ATW158Xpress

There's a timetable on the NAT website. Hourly Monday to Friday between Chepstow and Marlborough St, with first two in the morning starting back from Magor and last two in the evening running to Magor. No timetable for weekend so perhaps no service then.
Very good that there a direct service from my home town but only 2 bus each direction a day to Cribbs Causeway without changing in Chepstow. Only now need is a route map to show which roads it serve.

-Colly405-

Very good that there a direct service from my home town but only 2 bus each direction a day to Cribbs Causeway without changing in Chepstow. Only now need is a route map to show which roads it serve.
Presuming that you are referring to Caldicot or Magor? Isn't 2 through services double what First ran?

ATW158Xpress

Presuming that you are referring to Caldicot or Magor? Isn't 2 through services double what First ran?
Yeah that’s correct my local stop to home is Deepweir (Nedern Bridge) which is 10 minute walk from my house and first bus towards Chepstow is 30 mins earlier then NT X74 service which is at 07:10. It’s a big improvement for Severnside commuters for early starters in Chepstow.

freetoview33

Established Member
Yeah that’s correct my local stop to home is Deepweir (Nedern Bridge) which is 10 minute walk from my house and first bus towards Chepstow is 30 mins earlier then NT X74 service which is at 07:10. It’s a big improvement for Severnside commuters for early starters in Chepstow.
Slightly off topic but still related to this. I wonder how the proposed rail service from Lydney to Bristol is coming along. As that would also impact on the bus service.

Dr Day

Who is/was proposing a Lydney-Bristol rail service? Lots of significant infrastructure capacity issues to resolve first, as well as cross-border subsidy/politics... Would expect extending a bus service from Chepstow to Lydney (or merging with existing Lydney-Chepstow services) stood a better chance, again politics permitting. Actually an amazing result that the Welsh authorities are funding the new Severn Express.

Incidentally now the Severn Express service is being operated by NAT does this mean it is off topic for this thread?

freetoview33

Established Member
Who is/was proposing a Lydney-Bristol rail service? Lots of significant infrastructure capacity issues to resolve first, as well as cross-border subsidy/politics... Would expect extending a bus service from Chepstow to Lydney (or merging with existing Lydney-Chepstow services) stood a better chance, again politics permitting. Actually an amazing result that the Welsh authorities are funding the new Severn Express.

Incidentally now the Severn Express service is being operated by NAT does this mean it is off topic for this thread?
Well it is still operated by Stagecoach for a few more days, and it does impact/relate to Forest of Dean Bus services operated by Stagecoach.
It has been mentioned by Rail Future and the Welsh Government Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee, Monmouthshire County Council, Gloucestershire Country Council and other groups to do the following, which would be good in one way but I think would undermine the viability of any bus service.

An additional call on the Cardiff to Portsmouth service at Severn Tunnel Junction (Off Peak)
An additional call on the London - Cardiff trains at Seven Tunnel Junction.
A new Transport for Wales train from Lydney at 07:25, from what I gather it would be Lydney - Chepstow - Caldicot - Severn Tunnel Junction (Reserving) - Filton Abbey Wood* - Bristol Temple Meads, then a return from Bristol at 18:00. No Idea what the train would do otherwise, (It could be a service all day, if money or demand is there) it doesn't say a call at Abbey Wood but it does mention it as a main destination from Seven Tunnel Junction and Monmouthshire area.

Pat1105

Just a suggestion here, but would it be better if the thread was split separately into West, South West & South Wales? I think it would be easier to navigate and find info on the separate divisions.
Maybe the mods can advise?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Just a suggestion here, but would it be better if the thread was split separately into West, South West & South Wales? I think it would be easier to navigate and find info on the separate divisions.
Maybe the mods can advise?
Agreed, good idea now this thread is quite long.

northken

Interesting to see that the new X7 will be competing with First: the Bristol single fare (between City Centre and Cribbs Causeway) is only £2.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Due to a few requests to have this discussion split, there are now three new threads to discuss West, South West and South Wales.

Because of the length of this thread, it will be too time consuming to go through every post and transfer it to the appropriate new one. If anyone wishes to reply to something posted here, it is possible to quote either a whole post or a relevant paragraph and then insert the quote in one of the new threads.

To avoid discussion happening in multiple places, this thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.