• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELL6L

I'm pleased that my suggestion of the 1 lived up to expectations. The Fochriw section is quite dramatic and I think you did it in the right direction.

I agree with you on the 21 and I think the double run into Swffryd is good with dramatic views across the valley. I also agree that Stagecoach Cymru are pretty good, I've never had any missed trips or significant late running although I think I was on a 172 that got quite delayed due to the narrow streets and parked cars in the central section of the route. Can't really comment on Newport Transport, I have used them on the 60 between Newport and Monmouth and I think they used to run the 63 from Chepstow to Cwmbran too at one point, no problems here. Before that probably the 30 from Cardiff on a Metropolitan (that dates me!).

Blaenavon is worth a visit and there is more there than the average ex-pit village. The 31 across to Brynmawr is worth doing across quite bleak moorland. I think the few trips that go through Llanelly Hill might be the most dramatic I agree that the 172 between Maerdy and Aberdare and the 303 between Llantwit Major and Bridgend are probably the most scenic routes in South East Wales but there are good ones in Pembrokeshire and up into mid Wales too.

I am surprised the Llandudno to Caernarvon route was voted most scenic in Wales, yes it is good and relatively accessible but it is mainly along a dual carriageway! There are (IMHO) much better routes in Snowdonia (eg S2, S4, S97), also routes such as the T2 between Dolgellau and Porthmadog, the 30 between Abergynolwyn and Minfford and the X47/525 between Aberystwyth and Llangurig. Also the 42/43 between Abergele and Llanrwst - only possible on a Tuesday and needs careful planning - is really good while the 126 between Mold and Holywell is surprisingly dramatic - in a similar way to the 1 through Fochriw -and recommended for a short relatively frequent route. I strung together some inland sections from Mold - Holywell - Dyserth - Rhuddlan - Abergele - Llangernyw - Llanwrst on a sunny Tuesday in February. But getting very off topic here!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Pleased with that, I hopped on the one remaining Gold service in the Rhondda as the 132 took me south out to Pontypridd. This was e200mmc 26105 that gave the opportunity to feed my phone. I saw plenty of older e300 on the now de-golded 120/130 - strange services to have converted in the first place. The 122 would have been a much more logical one, I'd have thought but there you go.
The plan was to head back to Newport and had the choice of two routes but I chose the 151, newly Golded with the old 120/130 stock - this was 26183. Now, this is another area where Stagecoach are on the ball. They realised they made a mistake and moved the fleet - however, the route branding has been changed very efficiently but more importantly, they've changed various panels to incorporate the change of service.

As someone from the area but doesn't head back too often, have the 120/130 been relegated to older vehicles again now then?
If so that is a massive shame. I actually agree the routes are probably wrong for the gold moniker, but to give passengers on those services a fairly substantial upgrade and then rip it away within a few years seems wrong.

83G/84D

Established Member
Cwmbran depot have an open day on Saturday 7th September between 10am & 2pm.

No further information at the moment, however it is the 90th anniversary of Western Welsh so that may have some impact on the days events.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm pleased that my suggestion of the 1 lived up to expectations. The Fochriw section is quite dramatic and I think you did it in the right direction.

I agree with you on the 21 and I think the double run into Swffryd is good with dramatic views across the valley. I also agree that Stagecoach Cymru are pretty good, I've never had any missed trips or significant late running although I think I was on a 172 that got quite delayed due to the narrow streets and parked cars in the central section of the route. Can't really comment on Newport Transport, I have used them on the 60 between Newport and Monmouth and I think they used to run the 63 from Chepstow to Cwmbran too at one point, no problems here. Before that probably the 30 from Cardiff on a Metropolitan (that dates me!).

Blaenavon is worth a visit and there is more there than the average ex-pit village. The 31 across to Brynmawr is worth doing across quite bleak moorland. I think the few trips that go through Llanelly Hill might be the most dramatic I agree that the 172 between Maerdy and Aberdare and the 303 between Llantwit Major and Bridgend are probably the most scenic routes in South East Wales but there are good ones in Pembrokeshire and up into mid Wales too.

I think that probably was the better direction with the views over Fochriw, and yes, the 21 section into Swffyrd was exactly what I was thinking of.

I feel your pain on being able to age yourself by the types of vehicles.... I was brought up on a diet of RELLs, RESLs, LHs mainly! Newport Bus certainly seem to be struggling in terms of fleet age etc, which is a shame. It's noticeable in comparison with Stagecoach and even Harris. Mind you, can't say I'm exactly impressed with NAT.

You mention the 60 and 63 and, obviously a few years ago (2008?), I did a trip from Chepstow to Usk and then Usk to Newport. Seem to recall they were ex Rhondda step Darts and they're quite nice routes if not as exciting as the 172. I have driven and cycled through Blaenavon and it is, as you say, far from the average ex pit village. The X24 and 31 will have to wait for another day, perhaps tying it in with the 3/X4 and the X3. Not done the X43 for a long time and even the T4 is due a revisit but then again, there's a few other places to visit too.

As someone from the area but doesn't head back too often, have the 120/130 been relegated to older vehicles again now then?
If so that is a massive shame. I actually agree the routes are probably wrong for the gold moniker, but to give passengers on those services a fairly substantial upgrade and then rip it away within a few years seems wrong.
The Gold vehicles on the 120/130 have indeed been swapped with the older e300s from the 26 and 151. Whilst it is sad, I did say last year that I was a little surprised by those routes being upgraded as I couldn't see where the growth would come from to justify such an investment.

carlberry

Established Member
That brought me into Newport and the chance to enjoy the local council owned firm, Newport Bus. As it was still relatively early, I decided to head to Bettws to see if there was any evidence of the former Foxstar enterprise. There wasn't; I don't know if they ever had any bus stop publicity (they claimed to) but it certainly wasn't in evidence. My chosen 15 didn't appear (!) but no problem, I went on the clockwise 16 instead with Omnicity 60. Another healthy early evening load though the 53 plate Scania seemed a bit ropey internally; electric wiring being partly gaffer taped to the ceiling panel and the worn seating hardly portray a healthy operation and in fact seemed rather cowboy-ish. I got off in Bettws and ignored the 15 approaching so I could make a call. No worries, they'd be another 16 in 20 mins so I waited...and waited. Again, it never arrived so I continued to wait with eventually a 16 appearing in Omnicity 49, a newer yet again hardly pristine machine.

Foxstar may have been like some financially incontinent Brigadoon, but the fact is that Newport Bus are a really poor operation. It seems hamstrung by a lack of investment but that doesn't explain poor service delivery on a Saturday evening. That is just poor management and they seem to be stuck in a timewarp in terms of their routes, marketing and everything. I finished off with an elderly Dart (336) that was new in London that trundled along with a warning buzzer sounding all the way back to my car. It was a stark contrast with the two Stagecoach Darts of similar age I been on earlier.
I realise it's not really for this thread however I was reminded of this article today as I noticed the rear light cluster on a Newport Bus single decker on service in Newport bus station. As well as the outer part of the cluster I was able to see the internal wiring as, whilst the top was attached to the bodywork, the bottom wasn't! The panel it should have been attached to had clearly been hit against something and had a big hole in the glass fibre. It gave the impression of not being recent damage and everything appeared to be perfectly functional (the cluster wasn't loose, just not attached where it should be), it just looked dreadful!

LukeCymru

Cwmbran depot have an open day on Saturday 7th September between 10am & 2pm.

No further information at the moment, however it is the 90th anniversary of Western Welsh so that may have some impact on the days events.
Where did you hear about this too if you dont mind me asking?

83G/84D

Established Member
Where did you hear about this too if you dont mind me asking?

Don’t mind telling you!
I attended the Barry festival of Transport last Sunday and in the programme accompanying the event was brief details of the event.

LukeCymru

Don’t mind telling you!
I attended the Barry festival of Transport last Sunday and in the programme accompanying the event was brief details of the event.
Ah right, many thanks! I wonder whether a heritage livery might be on the cards. A date for the diary none-the-less.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Evening all. Just been looking in the VOSA Bus Service registrations. A few entries from Stagecoach for today. Stagecoach South West have registered changes for Services 13 (Plymouth City Centre - Saltash Passage: route change in the City Centre), 14 (Plymouth City Centre - Derriford Hospital: route change at Derriford) & 52 (Plymouth City Centre - Plympton: revision of timetable).

Meanwhile, on the Stagecoach West (Swindon / Gloucestershire) front it looks as if Stagecoach buses might soon start turning up in Berkshire thanks to Thamesdown Transport who look set to drop the 46/46A (Swindon - Hungerford) and 48/48A/ (Swindon - Marlborough) routes: these have been registered by Stagecoach West effective 29th July 2019. The registration also includes provision for routes X46 and X48 which, I think, will probably only be positioning runs. Timetables are not yet on TravelineSW. No idea what will be used for these: proabbly Enviro200s?

HTIOI,
Dave

LAIRA

Evening all. Just been looking in the VOSA Bus Service registrations. A few entries from Stagecoach for today. Stagecoach South West have registered changes for Services 13 (Plymouth City Centre - Saltash Passage: route change in the City Centre), 14 (Plymouth City Centre - Derriford Hospital: route change at Derriford) & 52 (Plymouth City Centre - Plympton: revision of timetable).

Meanwhile, on the Stagecoach West (Swindon / Gloucestershire) front it looks as if Stagecoach buses might soon start turning up in Berkshire thanks to Thamesdown Transport who look set to drop the 46/46A (Swindon - Hungerford) and 48/48A/ (Swindon - Marlborough) routes: these have been registered by Stagecoach West effective 29th July 2019. The registration also includes provision for routes X46 and X48 which, I think, will probably only be positioning runs. Timetables are not yet on TravelineSW. No idea what will be used for these: proabbly Enviro200s?

HTIOI,
Dave
The route change to the 13 in Plymouth will probably only bring the registration in line with what is already happening. The route has had to be changed as so many roadworks in the City Centre meant that there were no bus stops left for this route to serve on the orginal route.

TheWalrus

Established Member

HTIOI,
Dave
Most likely darts, tridents or gold deckers. There are no e200s currently allocated to Swindon depot.

Wirewiper

<snip>

Stagecoach already operates into Berkshire, "Link" from Basingstoke and route 7/7A from Andover run into Newbury. Stagecoach also operated route 7 (formerly route 72) into Reading until last year, and had a five-month foray into Bracknell on the 94 from Camberley during late 2015/early 2016, this latter route competing directly with Courtney Buses 194 which still operates.

Routes 46/46A and 48/48A are operated under contract to Wiltshire Council, so it is probably fairer to say that the routes are being reassigned to Stagecoach rather than dropped by Swindon's Bus Company (as Thamesdown Transport is now branded under Go-Ahead ownership).

RELL6L

Still nothing on Traveline or Stagecoach website about the 46/46A or 48/48A.

The Traveline website does seem to show some changes in Gloucester, Stroud and Swindon from 9 August. There is a new route 64 every 30 minutes between Gloucester and Stroud. I'm not sure if this replaces the 66 and 66S - I think it must - but don't know what happens to the Quedgeley short journeys. The 66 looks like it just runs hourly from Cheltenham to Stroud and on via the country route to Stonehouse. The 61 is reduced to hourly throughout between Bussage and Dursley - overall this retains four buses per hour between Stroud and Stonehouse but maybe with three of them at the same time! The direct link from Leonard Stanley to Gloucester will be just one peak hour 66X. Changes also to 52 from Stroud - looks like it runs to Cirencester only - and 8, 9, 10 in Gloucester (8 withdrawn?). No changes in Ross or the Forest of Dean shown. Minor changes to the 49 and 51 to Swindon but no obvious replacements for the 52 journeys that ran through to Swindon.

I may have come in part way through an upload and got totally the wrong end of the stick! Anybody know any more?

DaveHarries

Established Member
The Traveline website does seem to show some changes in Gloucester, Stroud and Swindon from 9 August. There is a new route 64 every 30 minutes between Gloucester and Stroud. I'm not sure if this replaces the 66 and 66S - I think it must - but don't know what happens to the Quedgeley short journeys. The 66 looks like it just runs hourly from Cheltenham to Stroud and on via the country route to Stonehouse. The 61 is reduced to hourly throughout between Bussage and Dursley - overall this retains four buses per hour between Stroud and Stonehouse but maybe with three of them at the same time! The direct link from Leonard Stanley to Gloucester will be just one peak hour 66X. Changes also to 52 from Stroud - looks like it runs to Cirencester only - and 8, 9, 10 in Gloucester (8 withdrawn?).
To that end a check of the VOSA Bus Service registrations for today, 02nd July, turns up more registrations for changes from Stagecoach West, mostly around Gloucester / Stroud, all effective 04-Aug-2019, for the following changes in addition to the above:

- Service 11 (Gloucester - Podsmead)
VOSA registration says Gloucester - Quedgeley so I think this is a route extension Podsmead - Quedgley with timetable revision

- Service 60 (Gloucester - Dursley - Thornbury)
Nothing obvious: timetable revision perhaps but no new timetable on Traveline SW as yet. Perhaps Dursley - Gloucester to go hourly again?

- Service 113 (Quedgeley - Gloucester)
Shown as a cancelled registration so withdrawn. Either that or it has been retendered in which case registration for a replacement may appear fairly soon.

- Service 351 (Gloucester - Tewkesbury)
- Service 353 (Gloucester - Sandhurst)
Probably reregistered following a tendering exercise: no new timetables on TravelineSW so not sure.

One other note is that Service 51 (Swindon - Cheltenham) is revised and the new timetable is on Traveline SW. One note is that the new Service 51 has all journeys serving Watermoor (Meadow Court) and Chesterton Shops wef 04-Aug: at present these stops only served by two morning journeys from Swindon with nothing the other way.

Dave

Last edited:

RELL6L

Details of the changes - but no timetables- on Stagecoach's website now. More far reaching than I first suggested with changes in Gloucester, Stroud, Cirencester and Swindon.

Note that the Gloucester page says the new 64 is half hourly whereas the Stroud page says it is hourly. Traveline says it is half hourly. Neither mentions that in the evenings the 64 runs from Gloucester to Stonehouse and then most journeys run between Stonehouse and Stroud as 66s. In fact it looks like all 3 vehicles on the 66 during the day run through from Cheltenham to Gloucester via this route in the evenings and then run the 64 evening service. The 66F to be covered by the 60F. I guess the new 64 may well be deckers and the 66 singles rather than the mixture at present.

Looks like a significant reduction between Swindon and Cirencester to just the hourly 51. Confirms taking on the 46 and 48 Thamesdown services from Swindon from 29 July - on a similar timetable. But reductions to the 80. No details on Traveline SW yet.

Changes in Cheltenham and Forest of Dean to come from 1 September it says.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Details of the changes - but no timetables- on Stagecoach's website now. More far reaching than I first suggested with changes in Gloucester, Stroud, Cirencester and Swindon.

Note that the Gloucester page says the new 64 is half hourly whereas the Stroud page says it is hourly. Traveline says it is half hourly. Neither mentions that in the evenings the 64 runs from Gloucester to Stonehouse and then most journeys run between Stonehouse and Stroud as 66s. In fact it looks like all 3 vehicles on the 66 during the day run through from Cheltenham to Gloucester via this route in the evenings and then run the 64 evening service. The 66F to be covered by the 60F. I guess the new 64 may well be deckers and the 66 singles rather than the mixture at present.

Looks like a significant reduction between Swindon and Cirencester to just the hourly 51. Confirms taking on the 46 and 48 Thamesdown services from Swindon from 29 July - on a similar timetable. But reductions to the 80. No details on Traveline SW yet.

Changes in Cheltenham and Forest of Dean to come from 1 September it says.

Interesting there. Mind you, the Cirencester College work looks chunky. The Ciren to Swindon secondary services have been tried a few times. Not an entire surprise they are going.

Also, the 80 being reduced is not a shock - mind you, Wiltshire are pretty good at supporting their tendered routes but something perhaps has to give.

CharlesR

Why is there a delay on the changes to the Forest services?

These are going to be note then some timetable changes, it’s going to involve some rerouting etc. Doing it all at once wouldn’t be the best idea and Forest and Cheltenham’s normally happen in September anyway.

robk23oxf

I've seen what the service changes for Cheltenham are but as far as I'm aware they're not in the public domain yet so I best not say anything. The 93/94 and a few town routes are going to be changing although it doesn't look like anyone will get a worse service than what they have now.

richw

Veteran Member
I've seen what the service changes for Cheltenham are but as far as I'm aware they're not in the public domain yet so I best not say anything. The 93/94 and a few town routes are going to be changing although it doesn't look like anyone will get a worse service than what they have now.

They were in last weeks notice and proceedings making them publicly available for those who wish to look up

theblackwatch

Established Member
This may be of interest:-

Sunday, 6 October: an Open Day at Stagecoach's Matford (Exeter) depot. As well as a rare opportunity to see behind-the-scenes at a modern, working bus maintenance facility, there will also be the chance to ride on preserved DG vehicles which will provide the transport to & from the Sowton Park & Ride car park.

http://devongeneral.org.uk/DG100.html

Sooner than that is a major event at Newton Abbot racecourse on Sunday 4th August. The description on the above site reads:

Sunday, 4 August: OUR MAIN EVENT OF THE YEAR and the largest gathering of former Devon General vehicles for many years

Devon General Centenary Bus Rally & Running Day at Newton Abbot Racecourse (TQ12 3AF)
  • 1000 to 1600
  • Free entry
  • Free car parking
  • Free shuttle bus to/from railway station (first bus from station 0930; last bus from racecourse 1630)
  • Cafe on site
  • Display of vintage buses, featuring a large gathering of DG vehicles plus vehicles from other West Country fleets
  • DG100 exhibition bus
  • Enthusiast sales stalls
  • Souvenir programme on sale
  • New '100 Years of Buses in Devon' book on sale
  • Free bus services using heritage buses to local destinations (approx. 45 minute round trips):
    - Bovey Tracey
    - Chudleigh
    - Ipplepen
    - Teignmouth (using open toppers; weather permitting)

A few of us from the forum are travelling down to Devon for the weekend for this event, and we are also doing a ride on the Barnstaple branch on the Saturday, visiting a few pubs before having a meal in the evening - if anyone is interested in joining us on the Saturday for the branch trip/meal, please drop me a PM so I can provide more details. Equally, we'd be happy to try and meet anyone on the Sunday!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Talking of Devon, I had a day off today and decided to have a day out and run the rule over Stagecoach Devon. Apologies if it's a bit of a waffle but it's been a few years since I was last there and even longer since I headed to North Devon.

So up at an indecent hour and down the M5 to Tiverton where I started my day. I parked the car and made the short walk to the small bus station where I waited for the 155 to South Molton and Barnstaple. It duly arrived at 0715 with one of the numerous Scania e400 in 15782 for the run north. We were soon in rolling countryside and it was a glorious morning. I settled into the high backed leather seat and enjoyed the trip through small villages as we collected some college kids. We arrived on time into Barnstaple and I quickly grabbed a coffee for the next trip to Ilfracombe. Rather than one of the newer branded vehicles, this was a former Manchester ADL e400 in 19119 - the legacy of a Stagecoach practice where new vehicles were put into their powerhouse fleets and then quickly cascaded in a year or two to weaker OpCos as a means of updating the fleet - judging by how many they later received, it did Devon good. We headed off on the trunk route to Ilfracombe via Braunton, with 19119 being quite smart if a little tired. As with the earlier vehicle, it needed a deep clean but was overall not bad esp for its age.

At Ilfracombe, there was time for a quick explore with the old bus station and depot now a car park though the signs of the old saw tooth bays can still be picked out. I'd bought a multi operator Devon day ticket so was able to catch the quicker Filers 301 back with a busy but stuffy Wright Streetlite WF. Filers quite like these and have continued to carve a niche with tendered work around Ilfracombe. Into Barnstaple but as we were late, it wasn't for long as I caught the 5B... an interesting route that links Barnstaple with Great Torrington with part of the Crediton to Exeter corridor with another Scania e400 15790. The 5B takes a great route around the coast at Instow before heading to Bideford and then Great Torrington. What a lovely little town though as we were late, I didn't have enough time to really explore and have lunch.

Instead I rushed back to get to the main road to wait for the 75A to Okehampton but it was also late by 10 mins. 35167 arrived and we made our way across the countryside. Now I was really concerned about the connection at Okehampton and more so when the driver specifically stopped to allow a pensioner to cross the road safely to her cottage - personal annoyance but great customer service. We weren't going to make it to Okehampton in time for the 6 so I had a quick check and realised I could get off at Hatherleigh, grab a sandwich and head to Exeter that way on the 5A. This is one thing I hadn't really appreciated - Stagecoach have worked closely with Devon CC and created a fantastic network for people to get around despite the spending constraints. This is in marked contrast to Somerset next door! So I waited on e400mmc 10456 duly appeared ON TIME and we headed off on an absolute blinder of a service through the Devon countryside with Dartmoor in the distance, and a selection of chocolate box villages and beautiful small towns.

Eventually we arrived into Exeter with the bus station now smaller but still intact whilst its replacement is built. Good to see but very odd as well. I was heading for Exmouth so that service has now been relocated to Sidwell Street about two mins away. This was the Gold 57 and thank god for the USB ports as my phone needed feeding. Another e400 in 15254 (odd that the newer MMC I had enjoyed didn't have USBs) as we headed in glorious sunshine to Exmouth. It was fabulous weather but in the traffic, the lack of climate control was apparent. We collected a wheelchair user in Topsham and then, a few stops later, another was waiting to board. Again, the driver stopped and explained the situation - the person understood but again, it just highlighted great customer service. Temporary lights slowed us so a quick change in Exmouth onto standard e200 37130 for the hop to Sidmouth. The 157 is another classic little run though idyllic villages with a double run to Otterton and a tidy reversing manoeuvre. We bombed along but conscious of a tight connection, I bailed out at Woolbrook near the old DG depot site and caught e400 15901 back to Exeter. Crippling traffic near Crealy's was a concern but we got through it and into Exeter so I could get the 55A on 15786.

So what was my experience.... Stagecoach operate in a beautiful part of the world. They have really developed the business in 20 years - hence the preponderance of deckers and the fleet is pretty modern too. They have developed a strong network and have grown out to North Devon and Plymouth at the expense of First. They have even headed to Lyme Regis now. The marketing on the vehicles is a bit minimal but roadside publicity is excellent. The only surprise is that the information office at Barnstaple is closed - did it go with First?? I don't know what's commercial and what isn't but you do see that Devon CC support buses and that's reflected in good service provision even into the evenings and also on Sundays (incl evenings) - again a stark contrast to neighbouring Somerset and Dorset. I know that Stagecoach do attract the ire of some people but they do the things that you should do (which people think is simple but isn't) really well. I was impressed by Cymru the other week and again with Devon. Yes, the fleet is highly standardised (was a little bored of e400s but the scenery more than made up for that) but that's a good thing for passengers - it keeps costs down. They're not perfect but they're pretty good.

Hope this is of interest. Anyone who can explain more on how they have expanded the Hatherleigh/mid Devon services, I'd be intrigued as I'm sure they didn't used to operate so much out there.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Talking of Devon, I had a day off today and decided to have a day out and run the rule over Stagecoach Devon. Apologies if it's a bit of a waffle but it's been a few years since I was last there and even longer since I headed to North Devon.

So up at an indecent hour and down the M5 to Tiverton where I started my day. I parked the car and made the short walk to the small bus station where I waited for the 155 to South Molton and Barnstaple. It duly arrived at 0715 with one of the numerous Scania e400 in 15782 for the run north. We were soon in rolling countryside and it was a glorious morning. I settled into the high backed leather seat and enjoyed the trip through small villages as we collected some college kids. We arrived on time into Barnstaple and I quickly grabbed a coffee for the next trip to Ilfracombe. Rather than one of the newer branded vehicles, this was a former Manchester ADL e400 in 19119 - the legacy of a Stagecoach practice where new vehicles were put into their powerhouse fleets and then quickly cascaded in a year or two to weaker OpCos as a means of updating the fleet - judging by how many they later received, it did Devon good. We headed off on the trunk route to Ilfracombe via Braunton, with 19119 being quite smart if a little tired. As with the earlier vehicle, it needed a deep clean but was overall not bad esp for its age.

At Ilfracombe, there was time for a quick explore with the old bus station and depot now a car park though the signs of the old saw tooth bays can still be picked out. I'd bought a multi operator Devon day ticket so was able to catch the quicker Filers 301 back with a busy but stuffy Wright Streetlite WF. Filers quite like these and have continued to carve a niche with tendered work around Ilfracombe. Into Barnstaple but as we were late, it wasn't for long as I caught the 5B... an interesting route that links Barnstaple with Great Torrington with part of the Crediton to Exeter corridor with another Scania e400 15790. The 5B takes a great route around the coast at Instow before heading to Bideford and then Great Torrington. What a lovely little town though as we were late, I didn't have enough time to really explore and have lunch.

Instead I rushed back to get to the main road to wait for the 75A to Okehampton but it was also late by 10 mins. 35167 arrived and we made our way across the countryside. Now I was really concerned about the connection at Okehampton and more so when the driver specifically stopped to allow a pensioner to cross the road safely to her cottage - personal annoyance but great customer service. We weren't going to make it to Okehampton in time for the 6 so I had a quick check and realised I could get off at Hatherleigh, grab a sandwich and head to Exeter that way on the 5A. This is one thing I hadn't really appreciated - Stagecoach have worked closely with Devon CC and created a fantastic network for people to get around despite the spending constraints. This is in marked contrast to Somerset next door! So I waited on e400mmc 10456 duly appeared ON TIME and we headed off on an absolute blinder of a service through the Devon countryside with Dartmoor in the distance, and a selection of chocolate box villages and beautiful small towns.

Eventually we arrived into Exeter with the bus station now smaller but still intact whilst its replacement is built. Good to see but very odd as well. I was heading for Exmouth so that service has now been relocated to Sidwell Street about two mins away. This was the Gold 57 and thank god for the USB ports as my phone needed feeding. Another e400 in 15254 (odd that the newer MMC I had enjoyed didn't have USBs) as we headed in glorious sunshine to Exmouth. It was fabulous weather but in the traffic, the lack of climate control was apparent. We collected a wheelchair user in Topsham and then, a few stops later, another was waiting to board. Again, the driver stopped and explained the situation - the person understood but again, it just highlighted great customer service. Temporary lights slowed us so a quick change in Exmouth onto standard e200 37130 for the hop to Sidmouth. The 157 is another classic little run though idyllic villages with a double run to Otterton and a tidy reversing manoeuvre. We bombed along but conscious of a tight connection, I bailed out at Woolbrook near the old DG depot site and caught e400 15901 back to Exeter. Crippling traffic near Crealy's was a concern but we got through it and into Exeter so I could get the 55A on 15786.

So what was my experience.... Stagecoach operate in a beautiful part of the world. They have really developed the business in 20 years - hence the preponderance of deckers and the fleet is pretty modern too. They have developed a strong network and have grown out to North Devon and Plymouth at the expense of First. They have even headed to Lyme Regis now. The marketing on the vehicles is a bit minimal but roadside publicity is excellent. The only surprise is that the information office at Barnstaple is closed - did it go with First?? I don't know what's commercial and what isn't but you do see that Devon CC support buses and that's reflected in good service provision even into the evenings and also on Sundays (incl evenings) - again a stark contrast to neighbouring Somerset and Dorset. I know that Stagecoach do attract the ire of some people but they do the things that you should do (which people think is simple but isn't) really well. I was impressed by Cymru the other week and again with Devon. Yes, the fleet is highly standardised (was a little bored of e400s but the scenery more than made up for that) but that's a good thing for passengers - it keeps costs down. They're not perfect but they're pretty good.

Hope this is of interest. Anyone who can explain more on how they have expanded the Hatherleigh/mid Devon services, I'd be intrigued as I'm sure they didn't used to operate so much out there.
I believe the 5A used to be number 51 only running between Hatherleigh and Exeter. They got a tender award from DCC for a contract between Okehampton and Hatherleigh so that’s what became the 5A as it is now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe the 5A used to be number 51 only running between Hatherleigh and Exeter. They got a tender award from DCC for a contract between Okehampton and Hatherleigh so that’s what became the 5A as it is now.

Thanks for that. I remember the old 75/315 in Cawlett days. Certainly, it’s quite impressive to have a 65 plate decker on a tenderer route in an intensely rural area.

Status
Not open for further replies.