• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's nice that they admit they messed up however I still don't see how a company the size of Stagecoach found it difficult to source some ticket machines and vehicles given three months notice (and that's just from the press release date, they must have been doing due diligence before then). It's certainly different from the days when operators feared a big competitive attack!

It's a cock up rather than anything more sinister. Clearly the contingency planning wasn't good enough for any issues that could have happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Another Gold upgrade (temporarily)!

Today the 922 Castle School service, usually one of the older SGBC coaches and this week managing to turn up late most days managed to run on time this morning but benefited from a Gold double decker! I suspect this wont happen often however.

Martin2012

Interesting to hear about what has been happening on the former SGBC routes. Out of interest does anyone know if any of the coaches are still in use?

83G/84D

Established Member
Interesting to hear about what has been happening on the former SGBC routes. Out of interest does anyone know if any of the coaches are still in use?

Yes, a photo is circulating on Facebook of 59220 (L600 SGB) covering for an unavailable Megabus coach on service M31 on Saturday.

carlberry

Established Member
The Steve Knight site (https://www.stevenknightmedia.com/fleet-news-ramblings) is reporting:
Withdrawn are Volvo Citybus 16899 along with 16251/52/53/54/57/59, 42059/60, 52540 and 52691/92/93, 59219/20 and 59221.
Tridents now allocated to North Bristol are 18156, 18349, 18413/14/15/20/22. 18421 is still being prepared for service here.

So several Limpalongs carry on for now.

padbus

Last month it was reported that Plaxton Elite-i 54211 (SF62 CZV) had turned up in Plymouth in plain white with the suggestion that it might be for use on the Falcon. Have there been any sightings of it in service?

iantherev

Last month it was reported that Plaxton Elite-i 54211 (SF62 CZV) had turned up in Plymouth in plain white with the suggestion that it might be for use on the Falcon. Have there been any sightings of it in service?

Reported in service yesterday by Falcon Twitter.

richw

Veteran Member

A Facebook contact posted a photo of a white elite-I with falcon vinyls a few days back now, presumably this one

padbus

Stagecoach South West have published a consultation document about proposed service changes across all four of the company's operating areas. It is well hidden on the website but I came across it by accident whilst looking for something else. However, https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/route-consultation-plan-2020 should find it. It is a lengthy full colour, illustrated pdf document so does not lend itself to being copied on to here.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Stagecoach South West have published a consultation document about proposed service changes across all four of the company's operating areas. It is well hidden on the website but I came across it by accident whilst looking for something else. However, https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/south-west/route-consultation-plan-2020 should find it. It is a lengthy full colour, illustrated pdf document so does not lend itself to being copied on to here.
Thanks for posting that.

I do like the way in which Stagecoach SW conduct their business generally (with a supportive partner in Devon CC and other organisations). Some interesting titbits in there. Potentially more night services in Torbay during the summer, some cutting back of the Bude service (related to tender results??) and the truncation of the X38 at Ivybridge.

And of course, the last page which says "Finally! You may see a change in our appearance in the coming year, more to follow" alluding to the livery change no doubt.

LAIRA

I note that there is a plan for George P&R in Plymouth to serve Mutley Plain. My question is how is it going to serve the Milehouse P&R?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks for posting that.

I do like the way in which Stagecoach SW conduct their business generally (with a supportive partner in Devon CC and other organisations). Some interesting titbits in there. Potentially more night services in Torbay during the summer, some cutting back of the Bude service (related to tender results??) and the truncation of the X38 at Ivybridge.

And of course, the last page which says "Finally! You may see a change in our appearance in the coming year, more to follow" alluding to the livery change no doubt.
Devon County Council pay for most of their routes as most of then carry just fresh air.
Cutting X38 back to Ivybridge seems a bad move as most passengers travel to and from Plymouth. Seems to me as they are slowly killing off the X38 entirely …

MarkC

I note that there is a plan for George P&R in Plymouth to serve Mutley Plain. My question is how is it going to serve the Milehouse P&R?
I noticed this too...I assume 100/101 Will use same route as the 1 .George/Derriford/Crownhill/Mannamead Road to Mutley and city...perhaps continues to/from Mileouse...hence not serving Outland Road between Milehouse and Crownhill? Personally I would expand Coypool park and ride across city to milehouse instead though. This I assume is response to Citybus launching 4 bus per hour service from George to Mutley and City in March?

richw

Veteran Member

Citybus are to service George P&R with 42 series of buses, every 15 mins, and withdraw the PR3.
Stagecoach P&R routing is unchanged

MarkC

Citybus are to service George P&R with 42 series of buses, every 15 mins, and withdraw the PR3.
Stagecoach P&R routing is unchanged
Trouble is 42 is not clockfade 15 mins.. more like 20/10. Stagecoach plan is to alter 101 park and ride to serve Mutley from May as per their 2020 consultation plan

RELL6L

Thanks for posting that.

I agree that Stagecoach in Devon are a good company and the council has been much more supportive than most. Any cutback of the Exeter to Bude service would be a shame, this is a long established and very valuable service which I remember from W J O Jennings I think originally, then First then Stagecoach with it being converted to deckers some years ago reflecting relative success. The Launceston leg has had some cut backs and there's nothing left of Launceston to Bude on Stagecoach except for positioning working from the depot. I presume Stagecoach will lose the 128 and the 219/319 local journeys if they become part of the Go Cornwall contract but the 71, 85 and main 319 work are for the Barnstaple end so should not be affected. I hope the 88 isn't cut much, that's a good service, and when I went on an X38 from Plymouth it was virtually full.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I agree that Stagecoach in Devon are a good company and the council has been much more supportive than most. Any cutback of the Exeter to Bude service would be a shame, this is a long established and very valuable service which I remember from W J O Jennings I think originally, then First then Stagecoach with it being converted to deckers some years ago reflecting relative success. The Launceston leg has had some cut backs and there's nothing left of Launceston to Bude on Stagecoach except for positioning working from the depot. I presume Stagecoach will lose the 128 and the 219/319 local journeys if they become part of the Go Cornwall contract but the 71, 85 and main 319 work are for the Barnstaple end so should not be affected. I hope the 88 isn't cut much, that's a good service, and when I went on an X38 from Plymouth it was virtually full.
They seem to cut journeys where the passengers are ie Plymouth on X38, yet increase other services where they really don’t warrant an increase in frequency.

peterblue

Is X38 particularly busy? Seems to me from an outsider's perspective it looks to be a service mainly carrying old people who don't want to take the train! Id be quite surprised if it was busy with fare paying passengers considering the frequency.

Last edited:

Wirewiper

The X38 isn't that busy, especially at the Plymouth end where Gold provides a much more frequent service to Ivybridge and North Brent. Also Falcon has taken a lot of the Plymouth - Exeter traffic despite the Exeter stops being on the edge of the City. As many people have mobile phones these days it is just as easy to arrange lifts and taxis from the Park & Ride sites as it is from the city centre.

The X38 still carries a reasonable number of passengers between Exeter, Liverton, Ashburton and Buckfastleigh and Devon County Council supports additional journeys over that section.

Wirewiper

Good point, I hadn't thought about the reduced service between Okehampton and Bude being tied to the loss of Cornwall County Council contracts to Go Cornwall Bus. I can see that the Stratton outstation may close, with the 6/6A operated from the Exeter end and the 71, 85 and 319 operated out of Barnstaple.

Go Cornwall Bus route 12B provides an alternative between Bude and Launceston - as said the 6A journeys on this section are only for positioning anyway.

I don't think the 88 will be cut, although it is a shame that it does not serve Newton Abbot railway station as it could be a useful rail feeder from Ashburton.

TheWalrus

Established Member
If the X38 isn’t worth running to Plymouth they may as well just run Exeter-South Brent and connect with the gold there.

devonexpress

The idea with the X38 is to terminate it at Ivybridge with connections to Plymouth via Gold, but In the end the X38 and what was the X46, now the 7A will be axed completely as it's quicker and easier by train.

Stagecoach Devon used to be good, but they got greedy and took over a lot of other companies operations, now they are struggling for custom because their overhead are expensive and the ticket prices are expensive too. Hence why the 2 got cut back to every 30 minutes, and other services are now being cut again!

TheWalrus

Established Member
The idea with the X38 is to terminate it at Ivybridge with connections to Plymouth via Gold, but In the end the X38 and what was the X46, now the 7A will be axed completely as it's quicker and easier by train.

Stagecoach Devon used to be good, but they got greedy and took over a lot of other companies operations, now they are struggling for custom because their overhead are expensive and the ticket prices are expensive too. Hence why the 2 got cut back to every 30 minutes, and other services are now being cut again!
Some of the fares are very expensive! And more expensive than the train.
Now Dawlish and Teignmouth have 2tph to Exeter, how long is it before the 2 goes down to hourly? Also ridiculous it now follows the 2B.

devonexpress

Some of the fares are very expensive! And more expensive than the train.
Now Dawlish and Teignmouth have 2tph to Exeter, how long is it before the 2 goes down to hourly? Also ridiculous it now follows the 2B.

It depends, the 2 still serves Kingsteignton, Bishopsteignton, upper Dawlish Warren and Exminster (places the train can't) as well as that some people may use it to get to a train station, but cutting out Dawlish Warren a few years ago, and then reducing it to every 30 mins, putting those horrible bouncy scania buses onto the route certainly haven't helped. GWR will certainly take away some custom for Stagecoach as you say with a now every 30 minute frequency on Exmouth to Paignton for most people it's not only quicker but cheaper too. I didn't know that the 2 followed the same route as the 2b now though.

TheWalrus

Established Member
It depends, the 2 still serves Kingsteignton, Bishopsteignton, upper Dawlish Warren and Exminster (places the train can't) as well as that some people may use it to get to a train station, but cutting out Dawlish Warren a few years ago, and then reducing it to every 30 mins, putting those horrible bouncy scania buses onto the route certainly haven't helped. GWR will certainly take away some custom for Stagecoach as you say with a now every 30 minute frequency on Exmouth to Paignton for most people it's not only quicker but cheaper too. I didn't know that the 2 followed the same route as the 2b now though.
Yes the 2 followed the 2B I was on yesterday (between Exminster Victory Hall and Dawlish/Teignmouth) and now the 2B is every hour to Dawlish.
There are many places on the 2 route not served by train as you say. However most Exminster passengers will be to/from Exeter so probably wouldn’t justify the route all the way to Newton Abbot. Exminster could be served by an additional local service.
This is similar in Kingsteignton with most passengers travelling to and from Newton Abbot. Again a new local route could cover this section.
As for Bishopsteignton there are passengers there but not many, not enough to justify a 30 minute service.
So in conclusion, if the train took away Starcross, Dawlish and Teignmouth to Exeter and Newton Abbot passengers, how many passengers would be left? Would it be enough to still justify 2 buses per hour? I believe it’s mostly concessions during the day anyway so fare paying passengers would be very low in numbers particularly between Exminster and Teignmouth.

Last edited:

TheWalrus

Established Member
Good point, I hadn't thought about the reduced service between Okehampton and Bude being tied to the loss of Cornwall County Council contracts to Go Cornwall Bus. I can see that the Stratton outstation may close, with the 6/6A operated from the Exeter end and the 71, 85 and 319 operated out of Barnstaple.

Go Cornwall Bus route 12B provides an alternative between Bude and Launceston - as said the 6A journeys on this section are only for positioning anyway.

I don't think the 88 will be cut, although it is a shame that it does not serve Newton Abbot railway station as it could be a useful rail feeder from Ashburton.
What would be gained by closing Bude outstation and transferring services to Exeter and Barnstaple? Not sure Barnstaple have any more room and there’s 5/6 buses on the 6 which would be enough to justify the outstation.

Could the 88 merge with the Newton Abbot-Buckland service to provide links to the station?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What would be gained by closing Bude outstation and transferring services to Exeter and Barnstaple? Not sure Barnstaple have any more room and there’s 5/6 buses on the 6 which would be enough to justify the outstation.

Could the 88 merge with the Newton Abbot-Buckland service to provide links to the station?

I'm with you. I'd be surprised if they'll have all that dead mileage to/from Bude. They'll perhaps keep a few 6s and the 85/319 but some of the 6s might be added to the small Okehampton outstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.