• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stanlow & Thornton

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
I think realistically if Merseyrail does extend that way it will indeed terminate at Helsby, probably on the central "island" with the northmost platform disused. But the case is fairly weak unless the factory at Elton was to close and an eco village be constructed in its place. However I half recall there are planning restrictions close to major oil terminals due to the potential very high risk posed by a leak or explosion?

The only way I can see of Merseyrail reaching Warrington is if the Merseyrail-Metrolink split happens on the CLC once NPR is built.
That is why you have large village called Elton that is actually next to the refinery, which included many new houses too. May be legislation came in afterwards to that effect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Back in the 1960's Oil Sites Road was a public road for it's entire length as I recall when I visited the Stanlow terminal with my father. This was long before the M53 was built so one of the problems was speeding traffic and a high level of accidents. The last time I visited the area was probably 12 to 15 years ago again to visit the Stanlow site, and I was surprised to see the the road blocked off beyond the entrance to prevent public through movements to the Elton roundabout. At the time I assumed this was due to some form of expansion of the site across the road, but subsequently it seems it is related to security and hence the restricted access signage on the roundabout which state stopping and photography is prohibited once you pass the inspection point. This is common in port facilities under the International Ship and Safety regulations and I think there may be similar signs at the Tranmere Oil Terminal site on the River Mersey as well as within the restricted area of the Port of Liverpool. Back to the Stanlow site, I doubt there are any residents living on the island between the MSC and River Mersey, apart from perhaps the ferry man/men who ferry visits to the three tanker berths at the Stanlow site which are located on the island. From personal experience the only inhabitants appear to be rabbits, hundreds of them judging by the droppings!
No, no-one lives there now and the houses were demolished when the last residents left. They were employees (and their families) of the canal company. The article I mentioned took across one of the last (or the very last) former resident. The ferry remains to allow people to get to the oil tanker docks and you can't just rock up and ask to use it! There is a YouTube video by someone who walked in from Runcorn along that thin strip of land between the canal and the Mersey.

Oil Sites Road appears to be privately owned from the eastern roundabout to a random point past the station. The old maps I found say Shell, the question is whether it was transferred to Essar along with the refinery. Beyond that random boundary, including the gate where the four barriers across the road are, is less clear.

There is reference as far back as 1982 of photographers being approached by security.
Diesel shunters numbers 10 & 8 busy themselves in the Reception Sidings of the Shell Oil Refinery at Stanlow on Mon 25th October 1982. This photo was taken from the footbridge over Stanlow & Thornton station, looking towards Ellesmere Port, and we were shortly joined by a number Shell security staff - from both sides of the bridge!!
(MagLad on Flickr.)

Or this one from 1995.
The station being situated slap bang in the middle of Shells Petrochemical complex always has CCTV surveillance , and as predicated, soon after our arrival, security did turn up to move us on. However with some negotiation, they agreed for us to take our pictures before asking us to leave.
(AJF1 on Flickr)

However I half recall there are planning restrictions close to major oil terminals due to the potential very high risk posed by a leak or explosion?
There was an extensive planning enforcement 'situation' regarding the former Shell Research Centre, the University of Chester Thornton Science Park since 2014, which covered a similar point. There is a comment in the paperwork along the lines of 'it is not ideal, but accepted, that there are residents within the hazard area'. That referred I think to Ince, I haven't looked where the boundaries extend to.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I think realistically if Merseyrail does extend that way it will indeed terminate at Helsby, probably on the central "island" with the northmost platform disused. But the case is fairly weak unless the factory at Elton was to close and an eco village be constructed in its place. However I half recall there are planning restrictions close to major oil terminals due to the potential very high risk posed by a leak or explosion?

The only way I can see of Merseyrail reaching Warrington is if the Merseyrail-Metrolink split happens on the CLC once NPR is built.
That is being discussed, it would give Widnes a better service too, anything would be better than whats available now.

That is why you have large village called Elton that is actually next to the refinery, which included many new houses too. May be legislation came in afterwards to that effect?
I always thought being Ince & Elton Station is fairly near the M56, it would be useful for park and ride passengers, if the service and car parking was improved.

Pacef8

Following on from being the only stop oil protester last year ! Allegedly! a number of new factories have emerged out of the ince swamp . The biomass plant and delivery of waste daily, plus a new similar site next to it . The gas shale mining explosive poisoning contaminate site is suspended for political reasons amongst many . Plus Helsby has two new housing estates currently being built within a ten minute walk of the station . Their is no space for a park and ride though.

Requeststop

Your reference to freight traffic in the area brings me to recall that the Burmah/Castrol refinery in the 50's to early 70's used to have a supply of crude oil from somewhere in Nottinghamshire. I do slightly remember seeing rail tankers along the road leading to the Castrol gates. Does anyone have memories of this?

Electrification between Ellesmere Port and Helsby was always vetoed by Shell as being unsafe right next to their refinery. Never knew why. The refinery was far enough away from the proposed third rail tracks.

urbophile

Established Member
I may be able to look into the ownership later in the week.

At some point, however, somebody is going to have to address the fact that this is still an operational railway, so an unsafe footbridge needs to be either repaired or removed. I imagine this will need Network Rail and Essar to come to an agreement one way or another as whatever the operation is, it’ll need access to both parties’ land.

Merseyrail running to Helsby would be ideal- that area of Cheshire is becoming commuter belt for Liverpool. An old school friend teaches at Liverpool University and commutes in from Delamere, but his preferred option is to drive to Hartford and pick the train up there.
Capacity between the junction at Runcorn and the four track section east of S Parkway might be a problem, but otherwise couldn't Merseyrail run a sort of 'circular' service from Lime Street Low Level to High level via Helsby and the Halton curve? One an hour, alternating with the TfW hourly service to Chester, would give 2tph from Frodsham and Helsby to Liverpool (or 3tph I suppose using both directions).

zwk500

Veteran Member
Capacity between the junction at Runcorn and the four track section east of S Parkway might be a problem, but otherwise couldn't Merseyrail run a sort of 'circular' service from Lime Street Low Level to High level via Helsby and the Halton curve? One an hour, alternating with the TfW hourly service to Chester, would give 2tph from Frodsham and Helsby to Liverpool (or 3tph I suppose using both directions).
It would need dual-voltage units and additional electrification.

urbophile

Established Member
OK. Probably better to improve the frequency of Chester-Runcorn-Liverpool and have a good interchange at Halsby. The latter is only a small place but Frodsham surely has an untapped market for Liverpool commuters?

frodshamfella

Established Member
OK. Probably better to improve the frequency of Chester-Runcorn-Liverpool and have a good interchange at Halsby. The latter is only a small place but Frodsham surely has an untapped market for Liverpool commuters?
The existing service ( which is still the Covid one) is busy and really needs bringing back to hourly as it was. May is the day it reverts I understand. Taken a age.

Rail Ranger

Possibly after the Flixborough blast in 1974?

WesternBiker

Much later than that, as new houses were built in Elton in the 1980's and I think the early 1990's.
There is a helpful explanation on the Health and Safety Executive website about land-use planning next to major chemical industrial plants. https://www.hse.gov.uk/landuseplanning/about.htm

This references Flixborough, as well as the incident in Seveso. This resulted the Seveso Directive in 1982. This has been updated twice: in 1996 (applied to UK law in 1999); and 2012 (UK implementation 2015). These updates have gradually tightened the planning regime around major chemical/petrochemical sites.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
My understanding is that Shell initially installed gates halfway along Oil Sites Road in the noughties, before the sale to Essar, to deter fuel protesters. Shell employees were given passes to open the gates so they could access Stanlow's main gate 4 from either end of Oil Sites Road.

Once upon a time the once-a-day the F52 workers bus used to run the whole length of Oil Sites Road. I think one early morning working of either the X3 (Chester - Ellesmere Port - Manchester Airport) or its short-lived predecessor c.1980/81 from Mold or Flint to Runcorn also ran via OSR.

In the early 1980's, pre-Wirral Line electrification, there were a number of peak Stanlow & Thornton to Rock Ferry workings with a tiny ticket office on the westbound platform at SNT. There was also a small bus station next to the railway station.

Stanlow & Thornton station was inconveniently sited for Shell's Thornton Research Centre, subsequently bequeathed to Chester University, with TRC/UoC employees having to walk for about a mile around the outside of the fence down OSR & Poole Lane. Ince & Elton station is just as near and a much nicer walk. Thornton-le-Moors village is a further mile away from either station.

childwallblues

Established Member
Between 1976 and 1979 I worked as a Shipping Master implementing the 1972 Shipping Act. I had an authority to enter all UK Ports but on all visits to Stanlow I was never challenged.

Rockhopper

I used to drive along Oil Sites Road quite often when i lived over that way. I just had a look at it on Google Maps and you cannot drop into street view any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.