• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted Citylink ceases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Manager

Just spotted this. Bit of a surprise i must say.

https://www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk/
Cessation of Stansted Airport - Kings Cross / St. Pancras Route
Dear Customers, We are sorry to announce that of midnight the 28th of October Stansted Citylink will no longer be operating services on the Stansted Airport - Kings Cross/St. Pancras route. We would like to thank you for your custom and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Passengers who have booked online for travel from 29th October onwards will receive an automatic refund for the unused portion of travel. Customers who have purchased cash return tickets can forward the ticket to Stansted Citylink, 3rd Floor, CDG House, 329 Edgeware Road, Cricklewood, NW2 6JP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plcd1

Goodness that is a surprise given the coaches were usually well loaded whenever I saw them which was pretty often given they were routed through my bit of London. I understood this was a contracted operation with the airport so either there's been a contractual breach or Metroline (who owned the operation) have decided they aren't making money. National Express must be rubbing their hands given that's another competitor off the route.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I'm also a bit surprised. There always seemed to be a fair few passengers waiting for it at the stop on Midland Road next to St Pancras.

Ginga

Hmm.

Did Terravision ever go to the High Court?
Not worth the legal fees! DUNN MOTOR TRACTION T/A Yourbus have spent £400k already in its legal dispute with National Express and total costs could hit £1. 2m

plcd1

Massive hike in airport departure fees apparently.

Interesting. I am somewhat suprised as I thought, but may be wrong, that the Citylink operation had the support of the airport authorities. Was it an entirely commercial operation or was it part or fully contracted by the airport? Seems odd to hike departure fees - I thought Stansted had plenty of space to handle coaches unlike the more constrained situation at Luton Airport.

radamfi

Established Member
Interesting. I am somewhat suprised as I thought, but may be wrong, that the Citylink operation had the support of the airport authorities. Was it an entirely commercial operation or was it part or fully contracted by the airport? Seems odd to hike departure fees - I thought Stansted had plenty of space to handle coaches unlike the more constrained situation at Luton Airport.

Stansted (and Luton) invite companies to pay for the privilege of serving the airport and only offer a limited number of companies the right to operate, to maximise revenue. Famously, Terravision missed out last time and threatened legal action but eventually gave up.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Stansted (and Luton) invite companies to pay for the privilege of serving the airport and only offer a limited number of companies the right to operate, to maximise revenue. Famously, Terravision missed out last time and threatened legal action but eventually gave up.

I think the way Stansted planned to avoid the trouble Luton Airport had recently got in - by awarding the exclusive right to coach access to NatEx (and kicking out long established operator Arriva/Greenline) - was by avoiding exclusivity, hence NatEx, Airport Bus Express (owned by Italian operator Autostradale), and ComfortDelGro/Metroline in the form of Stansted Citylink all bid and won rights to access Stansted airport, whilst Terravision lost out.

Perhaps Stansted Airport will now invite bids for the third operator's slot that Citylink has vacated?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always thought there was only two e's in Edgware
Rather like calling Stansted "Stanstead," referring to Edgware [Road] as "Edgeware" seems to incredibly commonplace by individuals and companies alike.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair, the spelling "Stanstead" has I think been used for the village (i.e. Mountfitchet) in the past. It probably originated as "Standsteadde" or something.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Must have been a fairly unexpected decision as they were advertising for jobs a few days before it ceased

This was posted on 21st October:
https://www.stanstedairportacademy.com/vacancies/sa1064/
Employer Stansted City Link
Location Stansted Airport
Hours: Full Time 40 hours p/w – flexibility required to work early mornings, evenings and w/e’s.
Wages:£9 per hour

This is the perfect non-stop role for energetic people. Join us as a Customer Service Agent and you’ll deliver exceptional and inspiring customer service to all customers at Stansted Airport.

You’ll need to be self-motivated, organised, calm, confident and clear. Previous customer service experience is essential, as is the ability to represent Stansted Citylink in a smart, professional and courteous way.

Fluent English is required. The ability to speak other languages is preferred along with a willingness to work an early and late shift rota – including some weekends and Bank Holidays , this is a 24/7 operation.

Your main duties will involve selling tickets for our service to ‘walk-up’ customers as well as greeting and assisting pre-booked coach passengers. You will be dealing with a wide range of enquiries, sorting out the occasional glitch, and will need excellent communication skills, in English (spoken and written) and preferably at least one other European language. You will need to be able to handle cash and card transactions and learn how to use our ticketing system.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.