• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted Sat 28 October not straight through train

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Can anyone offer some information please. I need to be at Stansted Airport before 22:00 on Saturday 28th October, travelling from Leicester.

Usually the train from Leicester is direct to Stansted. But on the 28th I have a choice of two changes via London or train to Cambridge then bus.

Does anyone know:

1. why not straight through
2. is there likely to be a strike on that day?

Thanks for any help and kind regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
1. why not straight through
Engineering work for the new Cambridge South station between Audley End and Cambridge on the Saturday and Sunday.
2. is there likely to be a strike on that day?
Impossible to say, the unions only need to give 14 days notice, so you won't know for certain until you are inside that window. Nothing has been announced yet.

suzanneparis

Many thanks skyhight very helpful.

Final question, I've never done a rail/bus journey before. Do the busses usually run on time? Thanks

mangyiscute

Established Member
Many thanks skyhight very helpful.

Final question, I've never done a rail/bus journey before. Do the busses usually run on time? Thanks
I would imagine at that time of night, the bus is unlikely to get delayed, since there shouldn't be too much traffic around. Obviously, its similar to driving, in that there can always be some random accident or whatever that causes a huge delay on the motorway that is unpredictable, but I wouldn't expect there to be much of a delay. If you're taking a flight, I'd err on the side of caution, and plan an itinerary to get there at least 2 hours before the flight, or even 3 if you have luggage to check in

suzanneparis

Many thanks mangyiscute. Yes I have allowed a lot of time.
Thanks again to both
Best wishes

Veteran Member
45min seems reasonable for a Saturday evening - but things can still go wrong (I was recently delayed by 2hr on the M11 following a serious accident) so I would allow some leeway. Fortunately there are alternatives to the M11 for your journey :)

BTW the bus timetables haven't been fully/correctly uploaded yet.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That'll be the first day of school half term. Reserve a seat on the train and definitely allow 3 hours at the airport.

I could be wrong but the XC Turbostars should be "proper" seat reservations and not counted place.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
That'll be the first day of school half term. Reserve a seat on the train and definitely allow 3 hours at the airport.

I could be wrong but the XC Turbostars should be "proper" seat reservations and not counted place.
They are proper reservations, if they get round to setting them out. The middle of three coaches, if there is one, is unreserved. There is always good turnover of passengers at Leicester and Peterborough though so you're rarely seatless for long. I'd expect it to be quiet on a Saturday evening though, regardless of half term.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In London, Hertfordshire and Essex which I envisage makes up most of the customers using Stansted, half term is the week before (ie. 28 October is at the end of half term), so I wouldn't expect it to be that busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.