• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starcross - Paddington Direct Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I've noticed that the Saturday 12.55 from Paignton to Paddington calls at Starcross but not Dawlish Warren.
This seems strange.
There has been an early afternoon London train calling at Dawlish Warren for some years and this picks up a few passengers returning from holiday but fewer people stay at Starcross and I can't imagine the market for trains to London is very large.
Does anyone know why the stop has been switched from Dawlish Warren to Starcross?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I've noticed that the Saturday 12.55 from Paignton to Paddington calls at Starcross but not Dawlish Warren.
This seems strange.
There has been an early afternoon London train calling at Dawlish Warren for some years and this picks up a few passengers returning from holiday but fewer people stay at Starcross and I can't imagine the market for trains to London is very large.
Does anyone know why the stop has been switched from Dawlish Warren to Starcross?

The Paignton-Exmouth service normally occupies the xx55 slot from Paignton so on Summer Saturdays when the Paddington services run the stopper is moved earlier to approx xx38. You’ll notice in adjacent hours it calls all stations but in this hour it runs fast from Dawlish Warren to Exeter. This is an added complication of accommodating the 1110 Newquay-Paddington on the graph, combined with the impact of now having Marsh Barton stops in 50% of the local service. The lost Starcross stop moves to the Paddington in order to maintain an hourly interval, and Exeter St Thomas loses out.

I hope that explains it adequately - typing this at 2220hrs on a work night! I’ve got personal knowledge of this particular interaction, for reasons I won’t elaborate on ;)

Essexman

Established Member
Thanks
I was on this train today and ten or so passengers got on at Starcross.

Established Member
There’s a 166 worked Paignton to Paddington today!

Trainguy34

According to RTT there was trolley service, bet that was interesting...
I'm also quite Suprised it was able to keep somewhat to time considering it was a 125MPH path.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm also quite Suprised it was able to keep somewhat to time considering it was a 125MPH path.
The return as well it appears...

Trainguy34

The return as well it appears...
Looks like I cursed it with the timings then... By the looks of it, an IET is taking over at Exeter (Much to the joy of the passengers I presume). I wonder what happened to Capacity as its only 3 cars compared to the 5 usually running this route

stevieinselby

Linespeed is max 100mph between Newton Abbot and Reading apart from a couple of short sections of 110mph, it was only between Reading and Paddington that it lost a lot of time. They also managed shorter stops at a few stations so were able to make up a few minutes there.
Homeward journey is currently +11 after Taunton.

louis97

Established Member
There would have been a trolley had it been a 80x, but there would have been no catering on the Turbo.

There isn't much above 100mph on the route, except London to Reading, so fairly easy to keep somewhat to time.

stevieinselby

Looks like I cursed it with the timings then... By the looks of it, an IET is taking over at Exeter (Much to the joy of the passengers I presume). I wonder what happened to Capacity as its only 3 cars compared to the 5 usually running this route
Canned at Exeter after arriving +12 "due to the late arrival of an inbound service".
Next train to Paignton appears to be the 1704 which is running +26 with a single 150 (but appears to have got stuck at Exeter), and the train behind it is heavily delayed, so that train is going to be cosy.

Future

Canned at Exeter after arriving +12 "due to the late arrival of an inbound service".
Next train to Paignton appears to be the 1704 which is running +26 with a single 150 (but appears to have got stuck at Exeter), and the train behind it is heavily delayed, so that train is going to be cosy.
Had quite an interesting game of ‘rolling stock chess’ actually. 800009 working 2C79 was moved onto to 1C85 for it to continue as 1Z85 from EXD. 5C79 was brought up from Laira with Castle set GW12 to replace stock on 2C79. 166218 was then chucked on an Okehampton diagram I believe. All done with commendable efficiency, unusual for GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.