• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Assistant for South West Trains (SWT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Bassett

Hi all,

Could any of you help me? I have been invited to the assessment centre for SWT (station assistant job). The letter they sent me specified that the day would last between 3-4Hrs and that there would be a multiple choice questionaire to complete.

I have the practice test they sent and an online link to some more material but I would like to know if anyone else has attended one of these and could tell me if I am to expect anything else other than the multiple choice on the day?

Many thanks.
:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
When is your assessment? I'll try and help later on, I'm just about to head out the door to work (at SWT) at the moment!

Mister Bassett

When is your assessment? I'll try and help later on, I'm just about to head out the door to work (at SWT) at the moment!

Hi, that would be great if you could. It's not for a few days yet. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Hi,

I went through the process you mention when applying for a similar role at SWT (Gateline/Ticket Checker)

You will have a basic literacy/comprehension multiple choice test which will test your ability to extract and interpret information from the text correctly. This is pretty basic stuff.

I am unsure if there's a second test for the Station Asst. role, I do know that you will not have your interview until later (held at your local station if you pass the assessment)

Remember to bring all the ID and documentation with you on the day and make an effort with your appearance and timekeeping, some of these little things help!

After the assessment is done, you will normally be kept waiting in the seating area, from experience you wait for quite a while if there are many candidates sitting the test at the same time as there is only one person marking them all!

Anyway, hope that helps a bit, and Best of Luck :)

Just keep yourself to yourself because there will be at least 10 of you there sussing each other out and getting nervous because you will just be hanging around for about 45 minutes while the HR do the paper work.

Get a random SWT timetable and get people to test you so your used to reading timetables for example

How long it takes to get from A to B to C...etc.
How long it takes if your train is 8 minutes late....etc.

Dress smart but make sure your comfortable it could be a warm day I just wore a smart pair of dark jeans,shoes and a short sleeved shirt no need to go over the top you wont have an interview on the day,some lads were dressed like they were going to a wedding:roll:

Like its been said make sure you've got the exact paperwork they want or they will just turn you away...they turned a girl away when I was there doing mine.

1V53

Dress smart but make sure your comfortable it could be a warm day I just wore a smart pair of dark jeans,shoes and a short sleeved shirt no need to go over the top you wont have an interview on the day,some lads were dressed like they were going to a wedding:roll:

Did you get the job? Have to ask as turning up to any interview in jeans and no tie would be a nono in my company. Suit and tie is surely a prerequisite for any customer facing job interview where a uniform is worn? I wouldn't consider any jeans and open necked shirt 'smart' wear for an interview.

schwa

Did you get the job? Have to ask as turning up to any interview in jeans and no tie would be a nono in my company. Suit and tie is surely a prerequisite for any customer facing job interview where a uniform is worn? I wouldn't consider any jeans and open necked shirt 'smart' wear for an interview.

Please disregard this post.

Last edited:

Mister Bassett

Thanks for your replies everyone,
I haven't had my assessment yet but will let you know how I get on once I do. Can't seem to get on to the test practices on the SHL site because of some incompatibility with my browser (i have tried several different computers). Will take your advice on board regarding dress on the the day, behaviour around other candidates and in the mean while test myself using the SWT timetable. You've all been very helpful and encouraging. :idea:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just keep yourself to yourself because there will be at least 10 of you there sussing each other out and getting nervous because you will just be hanging around for about 45 minutes while the HR do the paper work.

Get a random SWT timetable and get people to test you so your used to reading timetables for example

How long it takes to get from A to B to C...etc.
How long it takes if your train is 8 minutes late....etc.

Like its been said make sure you've got the exact paperwork they want or they will just turn you away...they turned a girl away when I was there doing mine.

Hey Jack,
did you also go for station assistant? Was it only the test you did on the day at the assessment centre, with the rest of the time waiting around? I have read about group tasks but these have often referred to other posts and other operators.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Indeed, but this isn't an interview.

I'd be inclined to wear smart/casual or business atire even at an assesment centre though, as first impressions count, and all too often you'll have the same person from recruitment that you saw at your assesment, sitting in on your interview to advise (part of their job, afterall!).

Hmmm looks like you wouldn't get the job as you didn't read my post properly and would have failed ;)

I turned up on the assessment day in "smart" plain dark jeans, shoes, and a nice clean crsip short sleeve shirt because it was one of the those horrible clamy days and I knew I would be sat at a desk for a couple of hours, also I knew there was no interview and the only person I would see was some random HR person whos was looking a lot more casual and flustered than myself running around trying to sort out 20 + people not really paying attention what we were wearing just wanting to know if we had our correct I.D,paperwork...etc

For my interview I was looking as sharp as a knife in my suit and sailed it and got the job :D

1V53

In my company the assessment and interview are on the same day, so yours clearly works differently. It's true I made an assumption, however this is based on my own company and also the knowledge that dress at assessment can affect your chances of getting the job.

Like any process, it is a scoring system so results are not the only criteria. Someone in a suit who is hopeless at the tasks would still fail, but if there were two close candidates then what you were wearing could well be taken into account.

And no I may not have got the station operators job, but I'm happy as a guard thanks ;)

In my company the assessment and interview are on the same day, so yours clearly works differently. It's true I made an assumption, however this is based on my own company and also the knowledge that dress at assessment can affect your chances of getting the job.

Like any process, it is a scoring system so results are not the only criteria. Someone in a suit who is hopeless at the tasks would still fail, but if there were two close candidates then what you were wearing could well be taken into account.

And no I may not have got the station operators job, but I'm happy as a guard thanks ;)

They are with SWT you pass the assessment you put your whistle & flute on and go back for an interview a week or so later
Don't pass the assessment you go back to bed

schwa

Perhaps not with SWT okay, but 1V53 makes a very valid point when it comes to the TOCs that do it differently. First impressions do count and it's essential that you make a good impression all the way through.

Let's just skirt on the side of caution and rule jeans out- regardless of how sweaty ones crotch gets.

Ok I agree to disagree:D

Anyone can put on their one size fits all weddings,funerals,interview suit that has been in the wardrobe since Christmas but it is how you carry yourself and how you look...one kid who was there had a shirt ,tie, suit on but just looked like he had slept in it,I looked a lot sharper in my white clean crisp shirt and smart jeans. My advice would still be go to the assessment (if you have no interview aswell) looking smart,casual and feeling comfortable because it can be a long day...

1V53

The point we are making is that it bad advice!

Yes a crumpled suit looks poor, but we weren't suggesting wearing a crumpled suit. I assumed it's basic and obvious that clothes should be clean, with no rips or holes, fit well, be ironed or pressed properly etc.

You say anyone can wear a suit but then give a clear example where it wasn't worn as above, thus proving my point that smart dress isn't something everyone finds easy.

Jeans and open neck shirt (no tie) will usually flag up alarm bells that you may be one of those who will try and discard a tie at the first sign of sunshine, adapt a uniform to your own taste etc.

A smart suit or at least a shirt, business trousers and tie (and again seeing as we need to state the obvious it seems: ) properly presented as above, removes that concern.

I've spoken to my boss several times about interview days and smart casual does set alarm bells ringing. As I said earlier, it's not a deal breaker for a good candidate, but it may mean you've got to be better than the guy in the smart suit.

Peter301184

Going to any assesment in normal clothes, no matter how smart, to me gives a bad impression.

I worked for a int. TOC and they do assesments and interviews on the same day. I've also just passed assesment, interview and medical for a SWT job. When i went to the assesment I knew the potential for depot managers to be there was a possibility and me wearing a suit would do nothing but good if i spoke to one.

IMHO someone whos not faffed about what they look like at an assesment, because it's 'only' an assesment is naive.

senhelm

Well, I have my assessment next week and I am not risking it. Suit on, hair up. And if I pass the assessment, the same outfit for interview the following week.

Eelmoor

Hi,
Sorry to hijack the thread, been looking at jobs on SWT and am thinking of appyling for a station assistant position, Ive done nothing more than think about it at the moment though. The question is if Im successful in applying for the job what is the next role up? Im assuming once your in there is some sort of internal job site for employees with available positions within the company...any help or advice greatfully accepted

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Hi,
Sorry to hijack the thread, been looking at jobs on SWT and am thinking of appyling for a station assistant position, Ive done nothing more than think about it at the moment though. The question is if Im successful in applying for the job what is the next role up? Im assuming once your in there is some sort of internal job site for employees with available positions within the company...any help or advice greatfully accepted

It depends what you want to do, there's always internal vacancies but not always for the same role.

Typical steps up could be to RO2s (Supervisor), Train Guard, Train Driver. It really depends what you are interested in and skilled enough to achieve. :)

Eelmoor

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I dont really know what I want to do, I suppose I will know once/if Im there which direction I would like to go in. Again an assumption but is the reason only station assistants seem to appear more than other jobs in the recruitment sections is because most of the supervisors, gaurds and driver positions are taken by internal applicants which results in everyone moving up a grade and leaving the station attendants positions free?

What is the difference in money for each grade? Station assistants are advertised at just above 15k, can you tell me roughly what supervisors, and Gaurds get?

Many thabks ib advance for any help

Jeff

I can tell you that a commercial guard for SWT is on 31,400 + regional allowance and commission :D. No idea about the others though.

I'm looking to be a guard, i'll be joing SWT as a Gateline Assisstant at the end of January. Once I have worked for 6 months, the internal vacancy list is all mine <D.

Eelmoor

aah ha, that was my next question, how long before you can apply for internal vacancies :) thats a fair old whack, 31k, how often do gaurds jobs come up roughly, are there many internal applicants, ie is it hard to get a position as a gaurd?

So many questions...lol

Rgds
Jeff

I have no idea how often Guards vacancies come up, I went through the process just before Xmas but failed at the interview stage, I can resit it in 6 months time though.

It will also depend on what depot you are applying for, some depots seem to be more popular than others.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
aah ha, that was my next question, how long before you can apply for internal vacancies :) thats a fair old whack, 31k, how often do gaurds jobs come up roughly, are there many internal applicants, ie is it hard to get a position as a gaurd?

So many questions...lol

Rgds
Jeff

Yep some depots are more popular than others, I think Fratton seems to be the most favored for commercial guards, followed by Wimbledon for non-commercial guards.

You have to work at least 6 months in your first role before you can apply for internal vacancies.

Guards vacancies are advertised every time a vacancy list comes out, but maybe not for the depot you want, yes there is big competition as many other lower grade employees will be applying to become a Guard, the recruitment process is slow and competetive so by no means easy to get the position!

I don't know what RO2s supervisors get, but it is a decent wage from what I've heard so it must be £20k+p/a.

Aictos

Established Member
Expect the assessments to cover both timetables, multiple choice questions and also expect to listen to recordings of dispatching, you are expected to listen to the recordings and get the process right despite background noise such as passengers asking questions etc....you are told the correct order is whistle, close doors, right away etc...- if you hear them in any other order for example, it's wrong.

Read up and practise understanding timetables as some of the questions will give you a fictional timetable and a question such as Mr A is at Derby at 14:43 and needs to get to St Pancras by a set time, what's the next available service etc... Note, they use fictional place names.

Learn as much as possible as the routes they serve and what the company is about as it shows you've done your homework.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.