• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station groups (LONDON TERMINALS, MAIDSTONE STNS etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassocks5489

Hi all,

When I joined the forum, one of my main aims was to tap into the wide range of expertise members may have on (sometimes) obscure ticket-related and fare-related subjects. So, here we go with a few questions on the first one... :D

I am interested in, and have spent some time researching, the concept of station groups - not the fare-setting groups/clusters you see on brfares.com, but the pseudo-locations to which tickets can be issued instead of a specific station. The likes of "London Terminals", "Maidstone Stations", "Wigan Stations" etc. etc. Pre-privatisation, these were represented as e.g. "London Brit Rail", "Maidstone BR" and "Wigan BR", and the term "BR stations" was often used in fares manuals and suchlike.

I have established all the groups that have existed since 1985, and the stations covered (e.g. Maidstone BR/Maidstone Stations covers M. East, West and Barracks). In some cases, stations have moved in or out over the years. New groups have been introduced; more often, groups have been entirely abolished (Birkenhead BR, Cardiff BR, Burnley BR...). I know, for example, that each group has its own National Location Code, and that tickets will be issued to/from a specific station rather than a "group" in certain circumstances. Anyway, so much for the background.

A few questions, then, for which I would love to receive any insight, theories, definite information that anybody can offer...

• When were these groups first introduced as separate entities with their own NLCs? I suspect it may have been the early 1980s, possibly coincident with the introduction of the INTIS computerised ticket system.
  • Why were they created? To my mind, possible reasons: (1) some places have stations on different lines, so a station group gives the passenger flexibility (e.g. Maidstone, Canterbury, Farnborough); (2) others have a main station and a much less significant secondary suburban station (e.g. Bedford, Reading) and it perhaps makes more sense to attribute revenue to a single entity; (3) historically, tickets were sometimes issued to e.g. "Brighton, Hove, Aldrington, London Road or Preston Park", and some groups may have been created to perpetuate this flexibility (a "Brighton BR" group did exist for a time). Do those reasons sound plausible? Any other suggestions?
  • Some places that fit these criteria have never had a station group - e.g. Acton (Central, Main Line, South), Bicester (North/Town), Bromley (North/South). Why might that be?
  • I'm not sure how revenue attribution works in relation to a station group. I'm particularly interested in Advance tickets. In many cases, an Advance ticket will be issued to/from a group station rather than a specific station, even though this seems counterintuitive because it is valid on a specific train from and to a specific station (and on the accompanying Reservation coupon, the specific station will always be named). e.g. a Virgin Advance from London to Glasgow will be issued from "London Terminals" to "Glasgow Cen/QSt". But some TOCs, notably Southern, will specify e.g. London Victoria instead of London Terminals.

Other questions might occur to me, but that will do for now - sorry for such a long post :oops: Finally, old copies of National Fares Manuals have been very useful in my research, because they have a lot of info in Section A (especially re. new/defunct groups, stations moving in and out etc.). A friend has a lot of NFMs going back to 1985, which I've consulted, but there are some gaps. If anybody has any lying around at home, especially pre-1985, please let me know (by private message is OK); if it's an edition I'm missing, I'd be grateful for scans of the relevant pages if possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BillyBoy

Interesting subject. I'd always assumed the Advance tickets were issued to/from the station group to be consistent with the "normal" tickets for the same journey. And, as you say, they have to be accompanied by the mandatory reservation which does show the specific from and to stations.

Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
Pre London Overground, there were 4tph to Croydon from Forest Hill, however this was split between East and West Croydon. The Croydon BR/Stns ticket gave the passenger flexibility to go to either station from the town centre without having to wait 30 minutes between services.

Croydon Stations also allows the use of South Croydon, so for example, if you're travelling on a mainline service, you can change at East Croydon and go back on a Metro stopper.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Croydon Stations also allows the use of South Croydon, so for example, if you're travelling on a mainline service, you can change at East Croydon and go back on a Metro stopper.

I'm not sure South Croydon is part of Croydon stations according to brfares.com

kieron

Established Member
Interesting subject. I'd always assumed the Advance tickets were issued to/from the station group to be consistent with the "normal" tickets for the same journey. And, as you say, they have to be accompanied by the mandatory reservation which does show the specific from and to stations.
There are only reservations for reservable legs of the journey, so someone who books an advance ticket from Welshpool to Liverpool would have the same reservation (or reservations) whichever "Liverpool Station" the requested destination was.

34D

Established Member
Living in Leeds, being able to get tickets to Manchester BR gives more flexibility with tickets and routeing choices.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Then of course there is the situation of administrative simplicity in the case of diversions - for instance I've used Hull Trains Advances to "London Terminals" for both Kings Cross and St Pancras, I presume Transpennine Express have done the same with Piccadilly and Victoria in the past.

Veteran Member
The oldest Station Group I know of is "London SR" which was introduced in the mid-60s; prior to that there were separate (and slightly different) fares to each London terminus - which were of course done on a strict mileage basis.

Strict mileage pricing may well be the reason why there has never been a "Bromley Stations" group - North is nominally 10 miles and South 11 miles from London and the fares were different; a South-London Terminals season was valid at North but not vv. (This is still the case as North is Z4 and South is Z5.)

johnnycache

From a revenue allocation perspective the most important issue is London Terminals

consider a flow like London Terminals to Brighton, route any permitted

if the ticket is sold from Victoria then the ticket says London Terminals to Brighton but the revenue is allocated from Victoria (ie as if a ticket from Victoria to Brighton had been sold)
Southern would get virtually all the revenue (although the ticket can be used from any valid London Terminal)

if the ticket is sold from Blackfriars then the ticket says London Terminals to Brighton but the revenue is allocated from Blackfriars (ie as if a ticket from Blackfriars to Brighton had been sold)
FCC would get virtually all the revenue (although the ticket can be used from any valid London Terminal)

if the ticket is sold somewhere else then the London Terminals allocation is used
(this takes account of travel times to each terminal from various central London zones and then the rail journey time from there) and generally Southern would get about 65%

The other station grouping that you have not mentioned is London Thameslink...

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Hassocks5489

Thanks for all comments so far - lots of interesting points. Please do keep them coming!

Regarding South Croydon, it was in the "CROYDON BR" group in NFM 29 (Jan 1985) but had been taken out by NFM 36 (Jun 1987). I'm particularly anxious to get sight of NFMs 30-35, as you can imagine: South Croydon was far from the only change to the composition of the groups between those dates!

@Billyboy - good point about Advance tickets.

@Johnnycache - interesting points, confirming what I thought to be the case. In the last case you mention ("if the ticket is sold somewhere else then the London Terminals allocation is used..."), I presume the revenue allocation is based on ORCATS calculations (I have a general understanding of ORCATS and LENNON, but not in depth). I'm familiar with the creation and use of the "London Thameslink" group, although I don't have an exact date for its introduction - I think mid-1995 would be about right?

johnnycache

I worked at Thameslink from 1996 (having left South Central just before Connex took over) and the London Thameslink arrangement was in place then

It was an attempt to simplify ticketing for Thameslink passengers from the north of London to Farringdon, Barbican, Moorgate, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant and Castle

As i recall it was for day tickets only and had tube validity

The more obvious solution would have been to extend London Terminals to Farringdon and further south but TfL have always been nervous about enabling any ticket with destination 1072 to open Underground ticket gates because of the fraud opportunities it presents

Something will have to be done to accomodate Thameslink + Crossrail

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
I once bought a St Pancras - Luton SDS from The Trainline that printed as London Thameslink as the origin, I thought it was a mistake but had no problems with barriers at St Pancras (didn't know much about railway ticketing in those days).

I remember discussion on District Dave's Forum not long ago where it was found that some London Terminals tickets open barriers at Baker Street and it turned out to be due to interavailable ticketing between some Chiltern/Metropolitan Line destinations.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.