• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Name Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
I'm sure I remember Southampton becoming Southampton Central sometime in the 1990s.

The original Southampton was down near the harbour, on a branch currently used for the Pullman liner specials (which was the original main line). When they extended by diverting off the main line, they built a new station called Southampton West near the Civic Centre. This became Southampton Central after a while, and the old one became Southampton Terminus. When Terminus closed, they removed the 'Central', but reinstated it after Soton Airport Parkway opened.

Another recent one was Letchworth ==> Letchworth Garden City, although that doesn't appear in announcements.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
Nah, the two stations were known as Southampton and Southampton Parkway for some years. In 1994 they were renamed Southampton Central and Southampton Airport Parkway respectively.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The original Southampton was down near the harbour, on a branch currently used for the Pullman liner specials (which was the original main line). When they extended by diverting off the main line, they built a new station called Southampton West near the Civic Centre. This became Southampton Central after a while, and the old one became Southampton Terminus. When Terminus closed, they removed the 'Central', but reinstated it after Soton Airport Parkway opened.

Another recent one was Letchworth ==> Letchworth Garden City, although that doesn't appear in announcements.

You are correct. My old book on BR Southern Region records that the present Southampton Central was originally known as Southampton West. This was many years ago, I will have a look later and see if it says when the West suffix was removed.

Any Permitted

Wickham Market station really needs to be renamed Campsea Ashe (or Campsey Ashe as Google Maps has it). It's 2 miles away from Wickham Market and there's no public transport between the two places.

stuartmoss

I'd like to see Horsforth renamed as either 'Cookridge' or 'Horsforth & Cookridge' as whilst the nearest urban business area is North Horsforth, it is actually nowhere near the true central business district or main residential areas of Horsforth. The station is also on the North (Cookridge) side of Cookridge Beck, the Beck is the actual boundary between Horsforth and Cookridge so the station is technically in Cookridge.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just read in today's railway Herald that Coulsdon Town will come to be in May 2011 (the timetable change), as well as plans, as part of a redevelopment, to renamed 'Didcot Parkway'... 'Didcot'.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway became Alfreton in 1995 when Mansfield had its own station - the Parkway in this instance meaning "nowhere near" (it's about 45 minutes by bus).

mickey

Another one I found was, reading through Rail from the 1990s, they wanted to rename Oxenholme Lake District to 'Kendal (Lake District)'. Obviously this never came about. :D
...Presumably because there's already a station in Kendal?

Portsmouth Harbour station really needs renaming Portsmouth Gunwharf as the Gunwharf shopping mall (adjacent to the station) has increased usage by around 400% since 2005. Portsmouth & Southsea could be renamed Portsmouth Central as Southsea is nowhere near the station.
I do like this, but don't forget that a fair chunk of the passengers are foreign and it's not wise to confuse them. 'Portsmouth Harbour' is obvious what it serves, and renaming the other one 'Portsmouth Central' could easily cause confusion if people think it's the main station (c.f. Hbf) - at least half the time they'll want the other one.

Just read in today's railway Herald that Coulsdon Town will come to be in May 2011 (the timetable change), as well as plans, as part of a redevelopment, to renamed 'Didcot Parkway'... 'Didcot'.
That's just stupid! I know people have laughed at Didcot Parkway for years but it's one of the iconic station names at a major railway junction and should therefore be sacred.

Speaking of interesting names though, will anyone join me in wishing they would properly rename Carlisle to Carlisle Citadel? I know it's officially called that but few if any of the signs show it...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Speaking of interesting names though, will anyone join me in wishing they would properly rename Carlisle to Carlisle Citadel? I know it's officially called that but few if any of the signs show it...

Officially in what sense? I've never lived there but I am on a train line leading there and I've never heard this name before.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Not necessary unless another station opens in Carlisle or there's another place called Carlisle with a station. The same way Chester General, Sheffield Midland and Hull Paragon would not be necessary

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Officially in what sense? I've never lived there but I am on a train line leading there and I've never heard this name before.
Carlisle Station has definitely been referred to as Citadel Station since opening in 1847, possibly to distinguish it from other (now closed) stations in Carlisle such as Carlisle London Road and Carlsile Canal Basin, but as it's now the only station in the City, no need to change the name again.

me123

Established Member
Balloch's an odd one. Balloch Central and Balloch Pier were separate stations until some point in the 1980s. They closed the line to Balloch Pier, and Central was renamed Balloch (understandably, as there's no longer any need to differentiate between the two). However, departure boards in many stations still refer to it as Balloch Central for some reason.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In Glasgow, didn't Exhibition Centre used to be Finnieston?

Aye, it was renamed when the SECC opened I think.

In a previous life, there was also a station on the site named "Stobcross".

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
...Presumably because there's already a station in Kendal?

But should it gain the name 'Kendal' then people would knoiw where it was. Oxenholme is a village with a population of around 2,000, yet anybody interested in the area would recognise Kendal. It does make sense, to me, to name it after the larger and more famous town nearby, especially when so close.

4SRKT

Established Member
Alfreton & Mansfield Parkway became just 'Alfreton', presumably at the time when Mansfield got its own service.

Is the cost why places like Rotherham Central and Lincoln Central don't get truncated, despite Masbrough and St Marks stations being closed 20+ years ago? Masbrough itself had just been called 'Rotherham' for years before Rotherham Central was reopened. I'm not sure that it ever actually bore the name 'Rotherham Masbrough' (as it was called in the timetable) in the period when all that stopped there was the York > Sheffield locals, effectively a Parliamentary service prior to outright closure.

D6975

Established Member
Anyone mentioned Lyndhust Road yet?
It became Ashurst New Forest a few years ago without me noticing.

jimbo99

Elmers End was once Elmer's End.

Disused Bingham Road station became Addiscombe when converted to tram usage albeit the track was dropped to street level and the station repositioned slightly. The previous Addiscombe (originally known as Croydon (Addiscombe Road)) and the stretch of track serving it was taken out of use as part of the introduction of trams.

Status
Not open for further replies.