• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station or line you wish you had used on or used a bit more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaymale

Of the local lines I missed the Coalville to Leicester section of the Burton-Leicester line though I was on a special from Derby to Coalville for the Coalville open days. I don't suppose it will ever reopen to passengers but there is still the chance of a special I guess.

Woodhead line I only did Sheffield Victoria to Penistone as I couldn't scounge enough money to go to Manchester. At least I did get hauled by a few electrics.

North of Nottingham on the GC (the York/Bournemouth ran until Sep 66) and to Derby Friargate. Luckily I did manage Marylebone to Nottingham Victoria and the Banbury link to the GC.

The line to Fleetwood. I just remember Blackpool Central station (and the steam shed) but we never took a train from there before it closed.

Last but not least, the Somerset and Dorset.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JBuchananGB

Not sure the North London ever went East of Vic Park.

My personal disappointment: being too much into buses around 1964, and thus missing the Sussex secondary routes (Cuckoo Line, Steyning, Cranleigh - and steam on Reading-Tonbridge). I'm sure the school Railway Society organised a trip, but first years weren't really encouraged - in fact we set up our own club....

North London did not run east of Victoria Park, but others did. Passenger service withdrawn Nov. 1, 1942. North London passenger service withdrawn east of Dalston, May 15, 1944. Goods service south of Victoria Park withdrawn Oct 3, 1983.

I travelled on the Cuckoo Line until its closure. Have a photo of myself and my sisters on Heathfield station, and a photo of a “Thumper” entering the station.

JBuchananGB

According to the "London Railway Atlas" the line east from Victoria Park was opened by Eastern Counties Railway on 15.08.1854, and round the Channelsea Curve at same time into Stratford (high level). The map also shows a link to Fork junction to join the line to North Woolwich.

A map published by The Railway Magazine in 1964 (reprinted in "London's Overground") records that stretch of line opened to goods 15.08.1854, and to passengers on 16.10.1854, closed to passengers on 01.11.1942.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I wish id used Shoreditch a bit more now, I did for a spell when the East London Line operated there in peak hours. Normally I would travel to Cannon Street and walk, but later found using the East London to change at New Cross was actually quite handy.

hassaanhc

Established Member
As a slight variation on the theme, I wish I'd used some lines in/near London in the early/mid 2000s before improvements to stations, infrastructure and stock took place. Specifically what are now London Overground routes operated with Class 172 and 378 units, and the GWML between Paddington and Didcot Parkway.

frodshamfella

Established Member
As a slight variation on the theme, I wish I'd used some lines in/near London in the early/mid 2000s before improvements to stations, infrastructure and stock took place. Specifically what are now London Overground routes operated with Class 172 and 378 units, and the GWML between Paddington and Didcot Parkway.

I know the improvement are to benefit the traveling public, but I do miss the quirkiness !!

exile

Established Member
Ditton Junction which is not far from my home and closed in 1992 - and I never used it!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wish I'd done Addiscombe a few more times - particularly on lovely EPB's !

Come to think of it, Wimbledon - West Croydon would have been a good one pre tramlink.

frodshamfella

Established Member
. The platforms are still there. The area is rather bleak and desolate so I'm not sure where the passengers would come from.

There is quite a bit of housing around....if decent parking was provided it would probably he handing for people in that South end of Widnes for commuting into Liverpool.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Wish I'd done Addiscombe a few more times - particularly on lovely EPB's !

Come to think of it, Wimbledon - West Croydon would have been a good one pre tramlink.
I think I only went to Addiscombe once and on went from elmers end to Sanderstead once. I never did West Croydon to Wimbledon either.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah never got Wimbledon - West Croydon or the Selsdon line.

Pleased to say I got Addiscombe a few times, but now that it's gone forever, those few times can never be enough :(

Realfish

The Fylde main line, Preston to Blackpool Central
Lichfield to Walsall (a wish every day of my working life as I spent over an hour doing my 8 mile, rush hour journey to Walsall, by car!). This was a line that should never have closed.

Raul_Duke

GC London extension - Chesterfield Central to Sheffield Victoria via Staveley.

Grew up playing in and on the still extant remains of it. Only quite recently mostly swept away.

Failing that, possibly either the Cromford & High Peak or Monsal Dale lines. Many happy memories of walking the trackbed with my Dad when I was a young child.

All closed a good twenty years before I was born.

Harbornite

Established Member
Part of me regrets not visiting the old Bromsgrove station before it was demolished in 2016. Having said that, its replacement is considerably better.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Yes, definately wish I did Elmers End to Sanderstead; only did Strood-Paddock Wood once before resignalling; Lea Valley line when operated by DMUs (only did once) and wished I'd photographed the old signalling between Wimbledon & West Croydon (travelled once before they were swept away)

frodshamfella

Established Member
The Fylde main line, Preston to Blackpool Central
Lichfield to Walsall (a wish every day of my working life as I spent over an hour doing my 8 mile, rush hour journey to Walsall, by car!). This was a line that should never have closed.

Strangely I was at Blackpool South yesterday, and was thinking how this line continued to Central.

Fleetwood Boy

Strangely I was at Blackpool South yesterday, and was thinking how this line continued to Central.
Ironically, you can get quite a reasonable feel for what the Central line was like from the RRBs running direct between Blackpool North and Preston, although they don't all follow the old railway line.

Edmorton

I'm fortunate enough to have not seen too many closures in my time, but I wish I had made more of an effort to bag as many 47s as I could when FGW were suing them on the PNZ/PLY-PAD services fifteen years or so ago.

Taunton

Established Member
Even in recent years there are regrets not to have taken what was subsequently lost but was available in my time since coming to London. I managed Aldwych and Shoreditch, both on normal journeys, but not Holborn Viaduct ( keen miss), Ongar, or on diesels to North Woolwich that ran within sight of my house windows at the time.

Altfish

I wish I'd done the Port Road, Dumfries to Stranraer, I holiday up there a lot, have walked sections of the line and dreamed.

Skelton Junction to Ditton Junction and also Skelton Junction to Glazebrook - these are local lines that were freight only most of my life, now closed.

Ruabon to Barmouth, including Rhyl to Corwen, Bala to Bleanau Ffestiniog, Denbigh to Mold Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.