• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station secrets - tips and tricks

Hybrid

At King's Cross, if you are a departing passenger, one trick that will make your day slightly more pleasant is to access the platforms (0—8) via the mezzanine walkway (passing by the first class lounge) which offers direct access to these platforms. If one were to embark on one's train via this route, one would avoid the hustle-and-bustle of the ticket barriers of the station on the ground floor.

If you are an onward passenger at KGX, headed for the underground, always turn left! This will enable you to avoid the warren of KGX underground station, and access your tube most directly via the old ticket hall.

Does anyone else have any similar such tricks for any stations across the nation? I spend a lot of time analysing station plans and would love to know more!

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I've a feeling something similar is the case at Birmingham New Street- if you use the "B" end stairs to change between platforms you don't have to go through the ticket barriers, whereas you do if you use the "A" end.

lxfe_mxtterz

Similarly, using the the underpass at London Waterloo is a much more pleasant experience than fighting through the overcrowded concourse.

It's a strange one as it's very much well used when a train pulls in and passengers use it to head down to the Underground, however few people know about it (or rather use it) in the opposite direction, coming from the Underground up to the mainline platforms.

I seem to recall the route to the underpass isn't (or is at least very poorly) signposted from the Underground(?)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
At King's Cross, if you are a departing passenger, one trick that will make your day slightly more pleasant is to access the platforms (0—8) via the mezzanine walkway (passing by the first class lounge) which offers direct access to these platforms. If one were to embark on one's train via this route, one would avoid the hustle-and-bustle of the ticket barriers of the station on the ground floor.

If you are an onward passenger at KGX, headed for the underground, always turn left! This will enable you to avoid the warren of KGX underground station, and access your tube most directly via the old ticket hall.

Does anyone else have any similar such tricks for any stations across the nation? I spend a lot of time analysing station plans and would love to know more!

Thank you!

Similarly, if arriving at KX by one of the 3 tube (as opposed to sub-surface) lines on your way to catch a train at KX (or StP), always exit from the "south" end [even though 2 of them are more east-west at that point]; in fact try to be in the southernmost carriage on your journey if you have time where you get on the tube. That way you quickly get to the escalators leading up to the old ticket hall, and up to the outside world. Then you can get your bearings, and be in the mainline station while people following the diversion (which in fact it is) through the newer tunnels from the tube platforms will still be struggling underground.

Russel

Established Member
No longer applicable, but until the rebuild, if you didn't have a ticket you could use the subway to exit Birmingham New Street to avoid the gate line!

Not that I ever did this in my younger days, obviously.

TheTallOne

I've a feeling something similar is the case at Birmingham New Street- if you use the "B" end stairs to change between platforms you don't have to go through the ticket barriers, whereas you do if you use the "A" end.
Correct. And there’s also the link bridge at the same end, less glamorous, but also no barriers to face when changing platform.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Correct. And there’s also the link bridge at the same end, less glamorous, but also no barriers to face when changing platform.
Thank you for confirming, I've not been through Birmingham New Street for several years, so wasn't sure if it was still the case or not.

xotGD

Established Member
At Farringdon, use the lifts to transfer directly between Thameslink and Liz Line platforms.

At Manchester Piccadilly, use the footbridge to change platforms to avoid two sets of barriers/ticket inspection.

Changing trains at Chesterfield rather than Sheffield or Derby should mean a same platform connection.

Ken H

On Moderation
Leeds. Dont forget the East end bridge. Saves the scrum on the west end one
if you are in City Sq its quicker through the old LMS concourse than using new station street under the hotel. The concourse with Wetherspoons in it.
Also by Weatherspoons in an exit to the cab yard. From there you can get to Aire St/Whitehall Rd and from there to the west end of the city centre.

I miss the stairs down from outside the entrance to the S Concourse to Bishopgate Street. It was a good short cut. But there are some steps down from opposite the Brewery Tap to Swinegate. Not really in the station but a nice short cut,

mrcheek

Established Member
Changing trains at Chesterfield rather than Sheffield or Derby should mean a same platform connection.

People are often advised to change at Bath rather than Bristol Temple Meads for this reason. (and because connecting at Bristol can take time and is not always valid)

Of course, if you enjoy being crushed in a stampede then Bath is ideal....

The real trick is to arrive at Bristol earlier, enabling you to join a service that likely sits at Bristol for a while, and has plenty of seats.

Another of my "best place to change" tips was when travelling on Merseyrail, and changing in Liverpool, always change at Central, in case you need the toilet. Though Im not sure this is valid now since they closed them for a refurb!

The exile

Established Member
People are often advised to change at Bath rather than Bristol Temple Meads for this reason. (and because connecting at Bristol can take time and is not always valid)

The real trick is to arrive at Bristol earlier, enabling you to join a service that likely sits at Bristol for a while, and has plenty of seats.

Another of my "best place to change" tips was when travelling on Merseyrail, and changing in Liverpool, always change at Central, in case you need the toilet. Though Im not sure this is valid now since they closed them for a refurb!
Changing at Bath makes sense if the change is same platform ( ie Chippenham to Filton / Gloucester / South Wales or vice versa). Other than the occasional through services to Weston-s-M, I can't imagine many flows for which a change at Bath is possible and travelling on to Bristol would be permitted. I'm assuming that Avoncliff / Freshford to Chippenham / Swindon etc would not be valid via Temple Meads.

peteb

Changing at Bath makes sense if the change is same platform ( ie Chippenham to Filton / Gloucester / South Wales or vice versa). Other than the occasional through services to Weston-s-M, I can't imagine many flows for which a change at Bath is possible and travelling on to Bristol would be permitted. I'm assuming that Avoncliff / Freshford to Chippenham / Swindon etc would not be valid via Temple Meads.
If travelling south from Birmingham, Cheltenham is a good place to change trains, particularly if the one you're on is followed by one going further, eg: needing to go south of Bristol. It's just one southbound platform at Cheltenham with cafe and toilets all level access from it.

kw12

Every couple of months I make the same platform change at Bath from a train that starts at Fratton into a train to Plymouth (where I alight) and Penzance. National Rail Enquiries shows changing at Bath (rather than Bristol) for this particular journey. It also shows this at some times of the day for journeys from the Portsmouth line to Weston-super-Mare.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Every couple of months I make the same platform change at Bath from a train that starts at Fratton into a train to Plymouth (where I alight) and Penzance. National Rail Enquiries shows changing at Bath (rather than Bristol) for this particular journey. It also shows this at some times of the day for journeys from the Portsmouth line to Weston-super-Mare.

Presumably because there's a longer connection time at Bath, since the first train stops between Bath and Bristol and so gets partly caught up by the second train, leaving less interchange time at Temple Meads (and no hassle with changing platforms at Bath of course). However, since there's no way the trains can overtake one another on that journey, if they arrive at Bath in the right order, then you'd make the connection at either place.

dastocks

At Farringdon, use the lifts to transfer directly between Thameslink and Liz Line platforms.
The interchange is at the south (TL) and west (Liz) end of the platforms so you want to be at those ends of your trains to avoid a long walk along the platform(s) during the transfer.
Changing from/to Thameslink northbound I head for the escalators; I think there is only one lift on northbound platform, but the southbound platform has a pair of lifts and will be the best option.

davews

When alighting GA trains at Stratford and heading to the Jubilee line I seem to always end up having to use the escalators up and down across the DLR to get there. Presumably the trick is to continue walking along the platform and go down one of the later steps down to the subway?

MontyP

Using the overbridge at Clapham Junction is somewhat more pleasant than using the subway, although can still be very crowded.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Conversely, using the subway at Preston is usually easier / quicker than using the overbridge, although, at certain times, like at Clapham Junction, both can still be very crowded.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Manchester Victoria has bridges at both ends of the platform, but no one ever uses them (well, I've used them but that was because I had lots of time to spare waiting for a 40 minute late train)
If longer trains end up in Victoria in future they might become worth using.

Ken H

On Moderation
Skipton. Exit the station into the car park oit the front. Turn left. There is a ginnel that runs down the north of the railway and comes out by the Tesco unloading bay. There is a pavement down the access road and you end up by the WCF pet shop. Not signposted. Not markes as right of way on OS maps but its quite busy.
Come on Northern. Put some signs up. I think its yours.

Ken H

On Moderation
Skipton. Exit the station into the car park oit the front. Turn left. There is a ginnel that runs down the north of the railway and comes out by the Tesco unloading bay. There is a pavement down the access road and you end up by the WCF pet shop. Not signposted. Not markes as right of way on OS maps but its quite busy.
Should have said its level access.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
That path has some streetview coverage thanks to the company who went through every Northern owned station with a 360 camera.

Freemo

Get the lift to/from P17 at Leeds to avoid having to go some distance down P16 and back on yourself through crowds using Transpennine services.

Same applies to 12A.

AndrewE

Established Member
At Liverpool Lime St use the lift to get directly from the surface station to the underground Loop line, it saves lots of walking although the lift itself seems very slow.
Unlike the ones at James St which are remarkably quick... but which I rarely use as the Water St subway goes pretty well to where I need to be! However the James St Lift does take you to a good 'Spoons!

Veteran Member
Should have said its level access.
It is - but the quickest way thence to the town centre (and bus station) has a footbridge over the canal.
Northern have a sign at the station end but it's on the first lamppost down the snicket. Still, the town council have one of their info boards with map before you be to it.

Also re Leeds: along P8 to the East end footbridge is a good route for D (and C) end platforms as it's usually much less crowded than the footbridge - only for able-bodied users though!

xotGD

Established Member
Get the lift to/from P17 at Leeds to avoid having to go some distance down P16 and back on yourself through crowds using Transpennine services.

Same applies to 12A.
I used to do the P17 trick most mornings. As do the train crew,

Djgr

Established Member

I think the toilets at Liverpool Central reopened weeks ago. Also all of the Merseyrail stations in Central Liverpool appear to have toilets (although Lime Street's are in the main concourse).

mrcheek

Established Member
I think the toilets at Liverpool Central reopened weeks ago. Also all of the Merseyrail stations in Central Liverpool appear to have toilets (although Lime Street's are in the main concourse).
Yes, thats the point, you dont want to have a long walk, Central allows you to go as you change trains!

Moorfields is worse, you have to exit the gates to get to the toilet. and then theyre usually locked. and then the gates wont let you back in since the ticket was only just validated......

So always change at Central!

Howardh

Established Member
Leeds. Dont forget the East end bridge.
Oh yes! (Assuming it's the exit at the top of the "bridge" and turn left?) And a glorious walk across the river awaits you, as do several pubs at the bottom!

Manchester Victoria has bridges at both ends of the platform, but no one ever uses them (well, I've used them but that was because I had lots of time to spare waiting for a 40 minute late train)
If longer trains end up in Victoria in future they might become worth using.
I use them, but rarely do I find anyone else on them! Use them when I'm at the rear of an incoming train from the west to connect to the rear of one eastbound on another platform.

My own personal secret, from p13/14 at Piccadilly, on the concourse there's a lift which takes you to Fairfield St (it's next to the accessible toilet) and (a) cuts a very long corner if you are going that way ie. taxi rank and (b) avoids having to go through the ticket barriers and the usual scrum there. However, it's all being redeveloped and will be interesting if it stays the same.

A further "secret" at Bolton on p1/2/3 there's an accessible toilet further sown the platform, on it's own rather than in the usual block. Can be useful to know if the main block is closed!