• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Staff wanna be needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RMTGuard

Guard (not Conductor) Merseyrail only have guards, there is no contractual requirement for any revenue duties to be taken out, and from next week when the PF area is extended in Cheshire, no ticket checks etc will take place by guards. You will be expected to keep the train tidy, open/close doors and assist in an emergency.

Thats really really upsetting. Definitley not a guard then :)

HSTChris

I was wondering how my job aspects will improve after college.

Currently:

I am 16, and have GCSE A - C grades in English, Maths, Science, French, Drama, ICT. I also have a JSLA award in sports leadership, and have a small ammount of experiance with people.

After College:

I will be 18, have all of the above GCSE grades, and also hopefully A levels in Business, ICT, and Photography. By this time I also hope to have gained more work experiance.

So, what jobs will I able to get before and after college, and how different will they be?

GB

Established Member
I was wondering how my job aspects will improve after college.

Currently:

I am 16, and have GCSE A - C grades in English, Maths, Science, French, Drama, ICT. I also have a JSLA award in sports leadership, and have a small ammount of experiance with people.

After College:

I will be 18, have all of the above GCSE grades, and also hopefully A levels in Business, ICT, and Photography. By this time I also hope to have gained more work experiance.

So, what jobs will I able to get before and after college, and how different will they be?

Depends on what area you want to get into. Office, management or graduate based then your projected qualifications should see you good.

Operational based don't generally place much weight on academic achievements (though thats not to say they are not noted) but opt for the more broad attributes such as good time keeping, able to either work alone or part of a team, clean and tidy, well motivated, previous experiences etc etc

Aictos

Established Member
There are still customer service roles which are not safety critical

Booking Office, Customer Service Assists ie helping wheelchairs on and off trains, manning the information point are all other jobs not to mention revenue staff on trains or manning the gatelines.

HSTChris

Those are the kinds of jobs I'm looking for, hopefully progressing to management later in my career.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even for non-safety critical station assistant jobs many TOCs would insist on a medical which includes an eyesight test.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thats why for those kinds of possitions, we have equal oppotunities :)
It's hard to say in your case as I don't know the exact level of your eyesight, but if there is any way that it could affect how you perform your role (especially when it comes to safety), then the employer does not have to consider your application on the same level as to other people. Bearing in mind what I said above, as to not knowing how poor your eyesight is, I can still think of a few ways in which having bad eyesight would affect my role.

Although if it is corrected by glasses then I'm sure there is no problem.

HSTChris

It's helped by glasses, but not corrected. It's still bad teehee.

But we've talked with careers advisors and stuff, who said that for things such as working in an office for like customer service telephone support and stuff, because I have visual aids, they have to consider my application along with others because theres no reason why I can't preform as well, if not better than other applicants. And they get funding too aparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.