• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations remaining open for parcels after line closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
I know under BR some stations remained open for RedStar parcels operation after the line had closed to passengers. Just wondering if any stayed open for parcel collection and delivery after total line closures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Well, Birmingham Curzon Street closed to regular passenger services in the 19th century but had a rebirth as a major parcels depot (with C&D) around 1967 and lasted pretty much to the end of such activities. Red Star was at New Street, of course.

mailbyrail

Of course if you include the rebirth of former passenger stations you can include Manchester Mayfield, Nottingham London Road Low Level, London Bricklayers Arms, Liverpool Wavertree. Other passenger stations were the size they were almost entirely for parcels - Bradford Forster Square and Bolton were two that spring to mind.

Ken H

On Moderation
Of course if you include the rebirth of former passenger stations you can include Manchester Mayfield, Nottingham London Road Low Level, London Bricklayers Arms, Liverpool Wavertree. Other passenger stations were the size they were almost entirely for parcels - Bradford Forster Square and Bolton were two that spring to mind.
was Wolverhampton Low Level the same?
Its now a wedding venue!!!!

Altfish

I'm fairly sure that Manchester Exchange remained open after closure but not sure if it was just newspapers rather than parcels.

delt1c

Established Member
What prompted me was Bathgate Upper, Closed to passengers in 1956 but remained for Parcel, then in 1982 Bathgate to Airdrie closed and lifted so Station had no tracks left through it

deltic

Established Member
Line to Gosport remained open for parcel traffic after closure to passengers

Malcmal

Hawick station definitely qualifies as proven in this clip of the classic Ian Nairn series "Nairn Across Britain".

mailbyrail

Another former passenger station that survived as a Parcels Concentration Depot was Oldham Clegg Street.

Checking the BR 1975 Parcels Numerical Sorting System instructions also lists 10 agencies which offered TCF facilities
Alford, Cardigan, Galashiels, Hawick, Kelso, Maesteg, Matlock, Milford Haven, Peebles, Pembroke Dock
None were railway stations although three of them were on lines with unstaffed stations

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Would Leeds Whitehall qualify? I'd became the parcels/mail area of the new Leeds City station in the 1950s until part of it (Platform W, now Platform 1) was returned to passenger use in the 1990s.

Brush 4

Possibly Yeovil Town and Staines West. Yeovil certainly kept its Refreshment Room after closure, for coaches for a short while until demolition in 1973. Perhaps parcels as well.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Newport, I.O.W. was another. It stayed in use as a parcels depot after the line closed in 1966 until the Council C.P.O.'d it in 1970/1 for building the by-pass when, iirc, the parcels depot moved to Ryde Esplanade.

Status
Not open for further replies.