• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that are over a river in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Is Blackfriars the only station in the UK that's over a river?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think Blackfriars is going to be unique in having nearly the entire platform length over the river.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Glasgow Central - the additional 'Ayrshire' platforms (11 and 12 back then) were extended over the river because there was simply no room otherwise at the time.

That was in the 1901-05 rebuild that increased the platforms from 9 to 13 and tracks over the river from 8 to 16 by building a second bridge immediately adjacent to the original.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The River Fleet ‘sewer’ passes under St Pancras, I understand.

The Porter Brook runs under Sheffield station.

Cambus731

I seem to recall Uckfield station being over a river. And sometimes the river is over Uckfield station.

Lemmy282

Sheffield station is built on the confluence of the river Sheaf and the Porter brook, does that make it the only station built over two rivers?

Nigel L

tomuk

Established Member
Thanks. I think Blackfriars is the only one that nearly the entire platform is over a river.
Shrewsbury the south end of 4&7 are over the river, the 5&6 bays are over the river.

Here is a phto of the complex bridge over the river that carries the south end of the station

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Sheffield station is built on the confluence of the river Sheaf and the Porter brook, does that make it the only station built over two rivers?
I don't have the means to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if the north end of Blackfriars is over the Fleet.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I seem to recall Uckfield station being over a river. And sometimes the river is over Uckfield station.
No, Uckfield station is next to the river, not bridging it. Although yes it does sometimes become in the river.

newtownmgr

Cardiff Central has platforms that extend out over the river Taff. Admittedly not all the way over tho!

duncanp

Established Member
The platforms at Smethwick Galton Bridge (High Level) extend over the Birmingham to Wolverhampton canal.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Thanks. I think Blackfriars is the only one that nearly the entire platform is over a river.

To achieve this you need a wide river to start with - or put up with very short platforms! :D

Or, in the case of Sheffield, the south-north platforms manage this by being built on top of the flow of south-north Sheaf (whereas at Blackfriars the north-south platforms straddle the west-east path of the Thames, so they’d look quite different in “plans”)

Rotherham’s station is built on the path of the (previous) canal alignment, so was a historic waterway (and sometimes funds itself under water again…)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Rotherham’s station is built on the path of the (previous) canal alignment, so was a historic waterway (and sometimes funds itself under water again…)
Is there still a canal partially underneath the section of line around Chatham that used the canal tunnels?

Status
Not open for further replies.