• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations unsure of their name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
There’s a few stations whose identity seems to have become slightly imprecise over time.

1) St Albans City now seems to use that name, however in the 1990s was very much simply “St Albans”. Personally I think the full name is preferable as it differentiates it from the Abbey station, however does anyone know when / why the shift seems to have occurred? Slightly academic locally of course as everyone just says “city station”!

2) Lincoln seems to find itself referred to as “Lincoln Central”, including on official systems like the departure boards and announcements at King’s Cross. The official name seems to be plain Lincoln though. What’s going on here?

3) The three Wells stations on the Central Wales line seem to not use the Wells part any more, however Llanwrtyd and Llangannach still have Wells on the platform signage. Is this partly a Welsh language thing, or has Wells simply drifted out of use over time. All three towns seem to make copious usage of the title Wells elsewhere, not to mention on road signs.

Any thoughts welcome, as well as any other examples.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
2) Lincoln seems to find itself referred to as “Lincoln Central”, including on official systems like the departure boards and announcements at King’s Cross. The official name seems to be plain Lincoln though. What’s going on here?

Lincoln previously had more than one railway station, so calling one “Central” made sense in the way St Albans “City” v “Abbey” do today. The current station (long since the only one in the city) was renamed simply to “Lincoln” a couple of years ago, but presumably railway databases haven’t yet been updated to reflect the change.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Bedford - CRS Code is BFM and signs in the town point to 'Midland Station' but the Nameboards all just say Bedford, despite there being a second station (Bedford St Johns) in the town.

Also an honorary mention to the long-running discussion about what Cambridge should be called, especially once Cambridge South opens.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Newcastle seems to be called simply "Newcastle" in most railway contexts but is almost always referred to as "Central Station" locally (and on the Metro network). I have sometimes heard it announced (manually) on trains as "Newcastle Central".

There are then a few which are almost always referred to with one name but have a suffix applied very occasionally - Carlisle Citadel for instance.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Southampton or Southampton Central?
London Kings Cross or Kings Cross?
Edinburgh or Edinburgh Waverley?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member

SteveM70

Established Member
There are then a few which are almost always referred to with one name but have a suffix applied very occasionally - Carlisle Citadel for instance.

Oddly enough the guard on my Avanti train on Saturday said that. There’s a couple on TPE and Northern who say Leeds City

But as a rule of thumb, it seems sensible that if there are more than one station with the same root name in a place, both should have suffixes to ensure nobody gets confused.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
When I was a young guard many older passengers still asked for tickets to Queen Street. It's been Exeter Central since 1933!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Oddly enough the guard on my Avanti train on Saturday said that. There’s a couple on TPE and Northern who say Leeds City

But as a rule of thumb, it seems sensible that if there are more than one station with the same root name in a place, both should have suffixes to ensure nobody gets confused.

I remember clearly in the late 1990s there was an IC Crosscountry guard who made a point of announcing ‘Wolverhampton High Level’ which seemed a little unnecessary as Low Level had closed to passengers in 1972!

bramling

Veteran Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_St._Marks_railway_station. It's only recently (counts on fingers) comparatively recently that the other station in Lincoln closed.

That makes sense. So has it always been “Lincoln Central” in recent history? In which case how come the station signs are just plain “Lincoln”?

Bedford - CRS Code is BFM and signs in the town point to 'Midland Station' but the Nameboards all just say Bedford, despite there being a second station (Bedford St Johns) in the town.

Also an honorary mention to the long-running discussion about what Cambridge should be called, especially once Cambridge South opens.

I know Derby had “Derby Midland Station” above its entrance at one point in the 1990s, and may well still do? This is the only place I’ve seen this though.

Hull seems to get Paragon included in some places, though this seems to be more of a Hull Trains initiative as far as I can tell. Again, locally it seems to have become “Paragon Interchange”.

On which subject just remembered there’s some in South Yorkshire which seem to have the word Interchange included on signage. Barnsley, Meadowhall and Swindon from memory. This seems to be as far as this goes though - not seen or heard it on a CIS.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I know Derby had “Derby Midland Station” above its entrance at one point in the 1990s, and may well still do? This is the only place I’ve seen this though.
Street view suggests it has, surprisingly.
Hull seems to get Paragon included in some places, though this seems to be more of a Hull Trains initiative as far as I can tell. Again, locally it seems to have become “Paragon Interchange”.
The Station is Hull Paragon, although it's one of those where the suffix isn't really needed as there aren't any other Hull stations any more.
On which subject just remembered there’s some in South Yorkshire which seem to have the word Interchange included on signage. Barnsley, Meadowhall and Swindon from memory. This seems to be as far as this goes though - not seen or heard it on a CIS.
On Meadowhall, isn't the tram stop officially called Meadowhall Interchange, but is distinct from the railway station?

AM9

Veteran Member
There’s a few stations whose identity seems to have become slightly imprecise over time.

1) St Albans City now seems to use that name, however in the 1990s was very much simply “St Albans”. Personally I think the full name is preferable as it differentiates it from the Abbey station, however does anyone know when / why the shift seems to have occurred? Slightly academic locally of course as everyone just says “city station”! ...
I agree that many say 'City' but for most, 'station' is enough as relatively few journeys involve the Abbey line.

Another station that has changed is Colchester, - there it's been known by locals as 'North' station and what was St Botolphs is now officially called Colchester Town - recognising that the locals often called it 'Town Station' years ago.

24Grange

Letchworth Garden City used to be just Letchworth, until they changed it. everyone i know still calls it Letchworth. Couldn't see the point in the change really. OK Welyn Garden City - yes as there is also a Welyn North.

johnnychips

Established Member
Street view suggests it has, surprisingly.

The Station is Hull Paragon, although it's one of those where the suffix isn't really needed as there aren't any other Hull stations any more.

On Meadowhall, isn't the tram stop officially called Meadowhall Interchange, but is distinct from the railway station?
My train is currently sat at Platform 2 of Meadowhall Interchange, according to the signs.

davews

I have happy days sitting on the platform at Lincoln St Marks waiting for the train to Newark Northgate. Maybe a bit more than recent though, more like 30 years ago it closed.

Cambus731

Colchester tends to be referred to locally as North Station.

Also of course it often gets called Colchester North.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
On the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Havenstreet station is referred to as Haven Street on all the platform signs and some other literature there. On the website and other resources though, it’s Havenstreet.

Lockwood

St James' Park, or St James's Park.

I assume we are discussing multiple names officially used for stations rather than colloquial ones? That would give a lot of localisms (Portsmouth Harbour - the harbour, Portsmouth & Southsea - the city)

Sean Emmett

Be careful when travelling in India or Thailand, where anglicised station name boards may not match anglicised station names on their respective railway websites!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve often heard Haymarket station announced as “Edinburgh Haymarket” and it appears on the boards at Kings Cross as such (although abbreviated); although station signs, National Rail website, and the ticketing system has it as just plain Haymarket.

Conversely, the main station in Edinburgh is just called “Edinburgh” according to National Rail and on tickets, but signs at the station and manual announcements often call it “Edinburgh Waverley.”

Sparrowman

Nuneaton is occasionally referred to as Nuneaton Trent Valley, however is predominantly known as Nuneaton, including signage etc.

Sean Emmett

Is it Maesteg Ewenny Road, Maesteg (Ewenny Road) or just plain Ewenny Road (and Welsh equivalents)?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Nuneaton is occasionally referred to as Nuneaton Trent Valley, however is predominantly known as Nuneaton, including signage etc.
Interestingly I was just about to mention this. It seems that some train guards/managers refer to it as Trent Valley although I've never seen anything official suggesting this.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Lostock very occasionally becomes Lostock Parkway.
Well, there's Lostock Hall and Lostock Gralam stations within 30 miles, all served by Northern...
"Lostock" (Bolton) used to be Lostock Junction, and probably still should be.
It's not really a junction any more (no platforms on the Wigan line), but then neither is St Helens Junction. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.