• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with excellent facilities....not provided by the station, but adjacent businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At New St upstairs is the shopping centre and downstairs (concourse level) is the station. The 1970s version was the same, just more obvious.

I half recall there being some smallish signage signifying this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigman

Keighley must be up there. There is the cafe/pub on the bridge run by the KWVR, toilets and kiosk when the KWVR is over, and ASDA right over the road.

CJSwan

Aberdeen has the shopping centre, Union Square, attached. There’s quite a selection of places to grab something to eat or get a coffee, before or after your journey, even during if you’ve got a decent time between connections. There’s also a Sainsbury’s Local just across too.

D6975

Established Member
Doncaster. Turn left up the steps at the end of the tunnel when exiting then go straight on and up the escalator. There's loads up there, various fast food outlets and even a pub serving meals.
Whitehaven. A 24 hour Tesco right outside the station. I used this numerous times when the tractors were doing the coast, stupid o'clock down from Carlisle, stock up on fodder for the day, then onto the first Northbound.
Eastleigh. Spoons right outside the station and a supermarket just a few metres further on (Sainsburys IIRC).
Bath. Sainsburys just over the road and a restaurant/pub next door overlooking the West end of the station.

Keighley must be up there. There is the cafe/pub on the bridge run by the KWVR, toilets and kiosk when the KWVR is over, and ASDA right over the road.
I used the ASDA when visiting the KWVR, decent breakfast in the cafe.

Wtloild

Stirling has loads of cafes/restaurants/pubs within a few seconds walk.
Stockport has a good cafe outside that I've worked from a few times, plus a Sainsbury's Local.
Grimsby has a Spoons right outside of the door.

stuu

Established Member
Aberystwyth. The station building is now a Wetherspoons and an Indian restaurant, and the town centre is right outside

Revaulx

I find the row of shops just outside Manchester Piccadilly station (Co-Op, Greggs and also a couple of coffee shops and other miscellanea) to be far more handy than anything in the actual station retail area, and depending on which platform you're at it might actually not be any further to walk
Piccadilly Tap also. I feared the worst when the Little Waitrose was converted to a Co-Op, but the choice and quality has actually stayed really good.

Sadly the grilled cheese place at the bottom end seems to be no more. And I’d avoid Archie’s if it’s anything like the All Saints one…

Class800

Established Member
Cranbrook (Devon)

Station facilities: help point

Nearby: Co-op, fish and chips, beautiful park and copious 'country toilet facilities'.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Worcester Foregate Street: pubs, cafés, Tesco and Sainsbury’s local shops. By contrast, Shrub Hill is a wasteland.

And an honourable mention for the Great Western pub at Wolverhampton...

D6130

Established Member
Although it's on the station premises, the privately-operated cafe in the former parcels office at Hebden Bridge is excellent and the two ladies who run it are unfailingly pleasant, cheery and helpful - even when under severe pressure. Quite often, the conductors - and occasionally drivers too - of Down trains phone their orders ahead for teas, coffees, sandwiches, etc. and local single pensioners help them with clearing-up, shopping, cleaning, etc. in return for a free breakfast or lunch.

Wolfie

Established Member
Worcester Foregate Street: pubs, cafés, Tesco and Sainsbury’s local shops. By contrast, Shrub Hill is a wasteland.

And an honourable mention for the Great Western pub at Wolverhampton...
The Great Western is a good old fashioned pub with quality beer, traditional bar food, and a good selection of railway and Wolverhampton Wanderers memorabilia. I totally agree your comment (though its closer to the former low level station).

There is a small Sainsbury's within two minutes walk of Wolvo station and other pubs (Greene King and Spoons) within 5 mins.

Last edited:

blue87

Not much choice on Milton Keynes but just outside is a Greggs, Costa, M&S food shop, Subway, & 2 Convenience stores.

stut

Established Member
Cambridge has a load of places in the CB1 development immediately adjacent, as well as a "food truck" location just round the corner.

Stevenage is adjacent to the town's leisure park, so a Nando's is definitely on the cards.

johntea

Established Member
I wonder what station has the closest proximity to a cinema? I think East Didsbury might be in with a chance, assuming Covid hasn't claimed the one at the Parrs Wood Entertainment Centre.

Glasshoughton (Cineworld)
Harrogate (Odeon)
Stevenage (Cineworld)
Bradford Interchange (Cineworld)

Actually seems to be quite a common thing when you think about it!

MedwayValiant

Never actually been there, but isn't the entrance of Welwyn Garden City station located inside the city town's shopping centre?

Yes it is. There is another entrance to the station from the other side of the tracks, but it involves a long footbridge from an industrial estate and a visitor to the town would be unlikely to go that way.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Clifton Down (Bristol) - Sainsbury's in the eponymous and adjacent shopping centre, and lots of cafes/pubs/restaurants in Whiteladies Road.

If we're including businesses located in former station buildings but not otherwise connected with the railway then there are cafes at Abergavenny, Chepstow, Yatton and Weston-super-Mare. The latter is a pub too.

frodshamfella

Established Member
West Kirby Station has a very nice cafe called Toast within the station building. Frodsham also has a nice cafe on the platform in the station building, and a ladies hair salon on the road side of same building.

class ep-09

What about Westfield Shopping Centre in Shepherds Bush and Stratford ?
Shepherds Bush has number of stations nearby ( Tube and Overground ).
I suppose you can’t beat that.

lachlan

Aberdeen has the shopping centre, Union Square, attached. There’s quite a selection of places to grab something to eat or get a coffee, before or after your journey, even during if you’ve got a decent time between connections. There’s also a Sainsbury’s Local just across too.
I can't imagine the charged for toilets at Aberdeen see much use when Union Square has free toilets nearby

Egg Centric

The only station facilities at Carpender's Park are yobbos to throw stones at trains, but it's right next to a tesco express, a co-op, several takeaways I haven't sampled but they look decent, and a filling station to provide petrol for the scallies to sniff

Veteran Member
Saltaire benefits from all the facilities of Salts Mill as well as the ice cream boat on the canal.
....and other local shops and eateries.
Sainsbury's last time I looked - and Aldi :)

New Pudsey for Marks and ASDA.

Bradford FS has a big retail park, but only McDo for food and no supermarket :(

Status
Not open for further replies.