• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with roads inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Which stations still have road vehicles within the station concourse?

Edinburgh Waverley has the BTP road / cycle path which comes into the middle

Darlington has the taxi rank

Euston used to have an underground taxi rank but I think this has moved outside?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Newcastle Central has a small amount of public parking within the overall roof at the east end, if that counts as a road. I suppose it’s similar to Darlington in that respect?

Morayshire

Does Aberdeen fit? There is access into the station for taxis and dropping off/pick up where the old northern bay platforms used to be.

L401CJF

Established Member
Does Holyhead count with its little road and car park between platforms 1 and 2?

alf

On Moderation
Princess Anne, conveyed in HRH 1, used to be driven down the Paddington Station carriage road straight to the train door in the early 1990’s. I saw the procedure twice the same week by chance. Perhaps she still travels that way.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Do road vehicles still come into Paddington?

Not routinely, although some access exists, but all vehicles are generally outside the immediate station building now.

Brighton does have one, as does Liverpool Street

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Princess Anne, conveyed in HRH 1, used to be driven down the Paddington Station carriage road straight to the train door in the early 1990’s. I saw the procedure twice the same week by chance. Perhaps she still travels that way.

Years ago (long pre-rebuild) I saw her driven onto the concourse to near the end of the platforms, but she then walked up the platform.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lf it counts, Bristol Temple Meads has parking underneath the old trainshed. l think there was a plan a few years ago to reinstate some platforms in there post signal box decommissioning but this may have been scrapped now?

TJM

London Waterloo has "Cab Road" (basically just for taxis) up to the high level, that's under the station shelter? Main Waterloo road is below it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
London Waterloo has "Cab Road" (basically just for taxis) up to the high level, that's under the station shelter? Main Waterloo road is below it.
That’s a roof over a road but it’s not really the station concourse. There was a road allowing taxis across the concourse years ago, now closed with a substantial barrier.

Rescars

It has been possible to park on the old Castle Douglas / Port Road bay platforms at Dumfries, but this facility is being closed (hopefully just temporarily) whilst the new footbridge is constructed.

Is part of the original terminus at Bristol TM still a car park?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Waterloo Road is at a lower level, but the cab road (used by buses as well as taxis) is not directly over it. (tghe cab Road is behind the glass screen in this view). The area below the cab road (the "Colonnade") is now the Jubilee Line ticket hall but was previously where the 501 buses used to call.

The three bridges in the background are the two linkspans to Waterloo East (the upper one is the one now in use for pedestrians, the lower one is the old single track link between the LSWR and SER stations) and beyond it the SER viaduct heading for Charing Cross

LONDON%20WATERLOO%20STATION%202_103.jpg

Lucy1501

I believe Carlisle has a road from Victoria Viaduct onto a small car park between platforms 1 and 3.

twpsaesneg

Liverpool Street still has the "cab road" between platforms 10 and 11 if I have remembered correctly.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
lf it counts, Bristol Temple Meads has parking underneath the old trainshed. l think there was a plan a few years ago to reinstate some platforms in there post signal box decommissioning but this may have been scrapped now?
The parking is still there at track level. There was an idea to use that area to terminate the proposed fast trains from London via Parkway (so on the correct side of the station to minimse conflicts) but I believe that was dropped even before the trains were.

More generally, ability to drive into stations has been much reduced in recent years. The ending of rail parcels traffic removed one reason to allow them, and safety and security considerations mean that a busy concourse isn't the best place to have road vehicles. Where it is still possible (including basement areas), substantial security barriers are often provided, likely to be proof against ramming by a truck.

I can recall as a young child (early 70s) that my uncle drove right into a main London terminus to pick us up when returning from holiday, though I don't recall if it was Victoria (from Gatwick) or Waterloo (from Weymouth) the following year.

duffield

Established Member
Wemyss Bay has parking under the roof.
I was just watching the "Architecture of the Railways" episode (S2E1) featuring Wemyss Bay yesterday. Amazing station, local volunteers were keeping it extra nice. Realised I could actually make it there and back on a day trip from the East Midlands, as it's only 50mins each way from Glasgow.

gg1

Established Member
Perth has a small car park inside the train shed. It appears to be a pair of former through platforms where each end has been converted into a bay and the trackbed of the centre section has been filled in to platform level to make the car park.

Status
Not open for further replies.