• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with water refill points

Russel

Is there a list anywhere for stations with water bottle refill points?

I know most Network Rail operated stations have them, thought the one at Euston wasn't working on Saturday and going by the state of the out of order sign, hasn't worked for a while.

List of stations with water refill stations (Upto posst 21)

Birmingham International
Birmingham New Street
Bristol Temple Meeds
Carlisle
Colchester
Coventry
Crewe
Edinburgh Waverley
Ely
Glasgow Central
Grantham
Leicester
Liverpool Central
Liverpool South Parkway
London Euston
London Kings Cross
London Liverpool St
Manchester Picadilly
Moorfields
Newcastle Central
Norwich
Peterborough
Shenfield
South Ealing
Stoke on Trent
Wigan Wallgate
Windermere

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

The Refill app is a great tool.

I have that, it's rather useful.

My only concern with it is regarding places you have to ask the staff to refill you bottle, how many of them know there store is part of the refill scheme and how many will just look confused when you hand them an empty bottle. For this reason, I'm more comfortable using places I can refill myself via a tap/fountain etc...

There is a few shops local to me that are generally staffed by school leavers, I have a feeling they probably have no idea what the Refill scheme is.

dan4291

Newcastle station has a few of them dotted about. Kings Cross and Edinburgh Waverley both have them but a lot of the time they're not working, which is irritating.

Russel

Newcastle station has a few of them dotted about. Kings Cross and Edinburgh Waverley both have them but a lot of the time they're not working, which is irritating.

This is something I've noticed, they seem to be one of those things that look good in a press release but are forgotten about once the photos are taken.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Northern have at least some across their network, I've used their one at Wigan Wallgate (under the shelter on the platform for trains towards Kirkby/Southport) a few times.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Glasgow Central and Carlisle, both have at least two and both I tried (one at each station; Glasgow on Monday, Carlisle this afternoon) were working.

blue87

Birmingham International has one adjacent to the escalators down to platforms 2&3, Rugby has one just at the top of the ramp to platform 2, Coventry has had one put in in the waiting room on platforms 2&3 recently.

D6975

Established Member
On my recent trip to London I was feeling unwell and had run out of water. I couldn’t find a water dispenser at London Bridge, so I asked a member of platform staff on the through lines. He took my bottle and filled it up from the staff room. Big thank you to London Bridge staff. :):):)

BJames

Established Member
Grantham has one on Platform 2, near to Platform 3.

Liverpool Street has one and reasonably signposted to it. I asked at Nottingham the other day and there were none on the station (I felt like I'd seen one before which is why I asked but I must have been thinking of somewhere else). Nonetheless, the gateline staff kindly gave me a new bottle - I was struggling with my stuff after a hot and exhausting day so that was much appreciated!

IceBlue

Manchester Picc has two: one by the toilets in the main concourse opposite platforms 11/12 (though was out of order last time I checked) and one in the platform 13/14 satellite lounge.

Stoke on Trent has one on platform 1, towards the Stafford direction of the building near the coffee shops

LUYMun

Not a Network Rail station, but South Ealing has a water refill point opposite the station entrance.

kevconnor

Manchester Picc has two: one by the toilets in the main concourse opposite platforms 11/12 (though was out of order last time I checked) and one in the platform 13/14 satellite lounge.

Stoke on Trent has one on platform 1, towards the Stafford direction of the building near the coffee shops
Both were out of action last Friday; the one in the satellite lounge was apparently dispensing hot water.

Skie

Liverpool Central and Moorfields both have them too. Very useful little things.

Lucy1501

I've used water refill points at Birmingham International, Colchester, Crewe, Ely and Peterborough.

Most Costa Coffee and Starbucks cafes will refill your bottle for free - I've never had an issue with any of them and they're a great help at stations which have no refill stations. Starbucks quite often wash my bottle whilst I'm there as well!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Peterborough (plat 1)
There’s one on platform four, too.
Grantham has one on Platform 2, near to Platform 3.
If and when it’s working…
I asked at Nottingham the other day and there were none on the station (I felt like I'd seen one before which is why I asked but I must have been thinking of somewhere else).
I believe they’re hidden inside the waiting rooms on platform islands 1/3 and 5/6. Leicester is similar.

Norwich, Colchester, Ely - also pass this test.

BJames

Established Member
I believe they’re hidden inside the waiting rooms on platform islands 1/3 and 5/6. Leicester is similar.

Norwich, Colchester, Ely - also pass this test.
Ah ok, I had a Plat 7 departure so the member of staff did me a favour anyway as I headed straight there, but interesting that they said there weren't any on the station if they are in fact in the waiting rooms.

Trainlog

I really liked the water refill station at Bristol temple meads. You can fill up your bottle for free, but it has options on it such as for ice cold water for 75p if you wanted it.

Russel

More out there than I thought!

I've updated my first post with a list of all highlighted in this thread and a couple I know of.

InOban

Established Member
Not to do with the railway but there's one just outside Oban Station.

Adam Evans

Manchester Victoria and Oxford Road both have one.

The Victoria refill point is through the door towards the toilets which means it is out of view for most passerbys. Bit of a daft place to put it in my opinion.

The Oxford Road one is near the gateline next to the toilets. You can't miss it.

Guide Bridge has one in the station building on the Manchester-bound platform.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Dumfries has a tap with a sign on the Carlisle bound platform, spotted by my mates daughter when I was shuttling them around over the summer to visit friends. I've had a no questions asked refill from the pumpkin on the London bound platform at Chatham several times as in the recent hot spells it's not uncommon for me to manage to get from home to the station and run out prior to carrying on.

td97

Established Member
Northern ones are at:
Guide Bridge, Ashton-under-Lyne, Greenfield, Mossley, Windermere and Levenshulme stations
The locations of water dispensers installed last year are: Alnmouth, Bingley, Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool North, Bradford Forster Square, Bradford Interchange, Castleford, Cheadle Hulme, Glossop, Guiseley, Halifax, Harrogate, Hazel Grove, Heaton Chapel, Hebden Bridge, Hexham, Horsforth, Ilkley, Keighley, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Victoria, Meadowhall, Mexborough, New Pudsey, Newton Le Willows, Rochdale, Salford Central, Salford Crescent, Shipley, Skipton, Warrington Central, Wigan Wallgate and Wilmslow stations.

BigB

London Victoria has one but a bit hidden near to WH Smith.
Witham and Shenfield have them, though Shenfield was out of action last week, and its possible that most larger Anglia stations have them.
Very useful in hot weather!!