• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you would rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Given that Google Maps gives Tring station as being around 10 miles from Aylesbury, and since last time I looked Aylesbury wasn’t ten miles from centre to edge, how would this be helpful?

I actually thought it was closer than that. Excuse my poor ignorance, I'm not even from that part of the country lol

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Salford Central -> Manchester New Bailey
Wrong side of the Irwell to be in Manchester. ;)

Only got renamed Salford Central in 1988 supposedly to avoid confusion with Salford Crescent.

So how about reverting back to its one time previous moniker of 'Salford (New Bailey Street)'?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It was proposed years ago, how officially I do not know, but Oxenholme to something that reflects the fact the station's in pretty much a suburb of Kendal. Kendal Main or Kendal Junction perhaps?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Wrong side of the Irwell to be in Manchester. ;)

Only got renamed Salford Central in 1988 supposedly to avoid confusion with Salford Crescent.

So how about reverting back to its one time previous moniker of 'Salford (New Bailey Street)'?

Manchester Exchange was on the other side of the Irwell, but that aside, Salford clearly is Manchester.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Manchester Exchange was on the other side of the Irwell, but that aside, Salford clearly is Manchester.
I'll agree to disagree with that latter point but will concur that despite its main entrance being almost opposite Manchester Cathedral, most of the now closed Exchange station was indeed on the Salford side of the Irwell, although the platform 3 extension was actually in Manchester. ;)

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I'll agree to disagree with that latter point but will concur that despite its main entrance being almost opposite Manchester Cathedral, most of the now closed Exchange station was indeed on the Salford side of the Irwell, although the platform 3 extension was actually in Manchester. ;)
Two cities from the same metropolis then ;)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Wythall renamed to Wythall & Hollywood.

Not named after a star-studded area of Los Angeles, California, USA, but seriously, there is actually a place name of Hollywood in West Midlands Region. It can be found along the A435 south of Birmingham.

Furthermore, I believe that one or two of the band members of Duran Duran were from Hollywood, with the others being up the road in nearby Kings Heath. The closest thing to star-studded fame of the Los Angeles moniker are the hits of "Girls on Film", and "Rio".

daveo

I know, but it is still a hospital in the broader, older, meaning of the word, so it fits the letter of the OP's comment if not the spirit. When the school was established it meant more like "hostel" does today, a place of accomodation. "Hostel", "hotel" and "hospitality" are all [relatively] modern derivatives of the word "hospital".
In a mediaeval monastery the "hospital" was the guest accommodation whilst the sick and dying were cared for in the "infirmary"

Strathclyder

Established Member
I would rename Singer and Clydebank Clydebank North and Clydebank South respectively.
Can't see either station being renamed, despite both of the bolded names being geographically accurate in relation to their locations relative to both each other and their respective locations in the town.

Singer's name in particular I can't see changing, primarily because of it being the last link to the enormous sewing machine factory* it was built to serve and the key role that it played in shaping the town's history that still exists. The name hasn't really caused any major problems as far as I'm aware in terms of location confusion in the near 114 years since the station opened (it is the only station in the country named after a sewing machine company/factory and the histories of both Clydebank & The Singer Sewing Machine Company are tightly entwined and well-known besides) and most of those who frequently use the station know the area/town it serves well enough without factoring in the significance of the name.

As both are my local stations and have used both countless times, I admit to having a bit of bias in keeping the names as they are lol But, if a renaming of either or both stations to better reflect their locations were to be seriously proposed, these would be the most likely candidates:

• Singer - Clydebank North, Kilbowie (this was the original name for the 'Singer Works Platforms' station prior to Singer's opening in 1907) or Radnor Park
  • Clydebank - Clydebank South, Clydebank Central, Chalmers Street or Kilbowie Road (it doesn't have any entry/exit points on this road, but it's the closest/busiest one)
*: Pertinent to this, the stretch of line it sits on wasn't the first to run through the area: it was built by the North British Railway to replace the original Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway-built ailgnment which was closed when the aforementioned factory underwent a massive expansion in the late 1890s/early 1900s. Indeed, the original alignment ran right through the site of the expanded factory. This replacement section of line became known as the 'Singer Deviation' as a result.

Acey

Penshurst to Chiddingstone Causeway as it's 2 miles from Penshurst !

Knockholt to either Pratts Bottom/Badgers Mount so passengers could have a little snigger en route or maybe even Green Street Green so they could have a little sing song en route !

PerryPacer

Stratford International should be renamed something along the lines of Stratford North/Park(After the Olympic Park) seeing as there are no international services currently stopping there and there are no plans for services to stop there.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Stratford International should be renamed something along the lines of Stratford North/Park(After the Olympic Park) seeing as there are no international services currently stopping there and there are no plans for services to stop there.

How about Stratford HS1 or Stratford High Speed?

CBlue

Welwyn North to be renamed Digswell, after the suburb it's actually located in.

Ashwell & Morden (which isn't anywhere near the villages of Ashwell and The Mordens) to be renamed Odsey, the hamlet right next to the station.

Oh, and rename Whittlesea to Whittlesey while we're at it :lol:

PeterC

Established Member
Given the plan to open a new station called Brent Cross West perhaps Brent Cross on the Northern Line should become Brent Cross East. Having one station with a suffix and one without is a recipe for confusion

Lewlew

Millbrook (Southampton) should be renamed to Freemantle or at a push Shirley. The area known locally as Millbrook is further west

Wolfie

Established Member
Given the plan to open a new station called Brent Cross West perhaps Brent Cross on the Northern Line should become Brent Cross East. Having one station with a suffix and one without is a recipe for confusion
In one way l agree. In another if l was TfL l'd say get lost. The Northern line station has had that name for a long time.

AGH

Salford Central to Spinningfields.
Widnes to North Widnes
Warrington West to Chapelford.
Lea Green to Sherdley Park.
Liverpool South Parkway back to Allerton.
Runcorn East to Murdishaw.

bramling

Veteran Member
In one way l agree. In another if l was TfL l'd say get lost. The Northern line station has had that name for a long time.

One wonders just how many people use the Northern Line station to reach the shopping centre. Anecdotally, I'd suggest the answer is not many.

I don't think putting it back to Brent would cause any difficulties.

Wolfie

Established Member
One wonders just how many people use the Northern Line station to reach the shopping centre. Anecdotally, I'd suggest the answer is not many.

I don't think putting it back to Brent would cause any difficulties.
Now that l wouldn't disagree.

Killingworth

Established Member
Dore and Totley to Abbeydale
Grindleford to Nether Padley or Padley Gorge
Meadowhall to Meadowhell Meadow Hall
Dore and Totley was opened in 1872 following the opening of Beauchief & Abbey Houses in 1870, later to become Beauchief & Abbey Dale station and closed in 1961. Shortened to Dore for a period, then reinstated as Dore & Totley, introducing Abbeydale (in S8) would not go down at all well in Dore & Totley (all in S17).

A Sheffield station awaiting a name change berfore it can open is the newly proposed Waverley. I can just imagine tourists arriving there and looking for the castle! Maybe call it Waverley and Orgreave, station code WOE, and capture a new tourist market for the Battle of Orgreave that took place very near and on the site of the proposed station on 18th June 1984.

Acton1991

Acton Main Line - makes little sense to me once Crossrail is fully opened to me. Acton Horn Lane or just Horn Lane seems more appropriate.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Acton Main Line - makes little sense to me once Crossrail is fully opened to me. Acton Horn Lane or just Horn Lane seems more appropriate.
That would boost passenger numbers, with people going there just to take selfies under the signs... or even just buying singles from Ealing Broadway so they have an amusing ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.